Some school in Thailand

I suspect that will work. I once resurfaced a Ford 2.3L head by gluing 80 grit sand paper down on my table saw. It took most of a day but it is still holding after three years.
I wouldn’t like to get any sanding grit down in the block though.
Rindert

3 Likes

Yes, invert block or cylinder jug on top of glass, not glass on top of engine.

3 Likes

Back when i was in high school auto shop, teacher told us about removing head gasket and replacing with aluminum foil. Seams a lot easier than all that lapping at a cost of a few thousanths.

7 Likes

Andy,
Please tell us more about using aluminum foil. It is very thin. How can this work?
Rindert

1 Like

Thin soft aluminum sheet on air cooled.
Thin soft copper sheet on the water cooled.
Brass sheet is too hard to allow the crush micro-forming. Think sealing spark plug gaskets. Banjo and oil plug copper/aluminum solid metal washers seals.
That soft, and conforming.

The flatter the surfaces the thinner the sheet.
NOT perfectly shining smooth.
Some surface “tooth” to it just like painting, prepping.

Some; depends-depends, here.
Aluminum head against a cast iron block? Difficult as you must allow movements. Factory head gaskets are often graphited to allow this. Other factory are multi sheet layers, only ridged at the cylinder edge fire-rings. I prefer a patent purpose sticky goo spray on for the flexing layers.
Cast iron against cast iron - easy. Dry and super clean.
Aluminum agaist aluminum almost as easy. Dry and super clean.
S.U.

8 Likes

Steve has given a lot better answer than I could. Ive never actually tried it myself.
Its got me thinking though, maybe Ill play with it.
First just see if it would actually seal. Next do a before and after compression test. Maybe cc the head, mic the original gasket vs foil, and do some calculations on the increase in mathmatical compression ratio. And finally test for change in actual power output.
That may be my project for the virtual meetup.

5 Likes

2 strokes do exceptionaly well with no seal. The oil builds up in the micro space between the surfaces l guess, and since it has more viscosity thain gas it helps seal it well. Done this a lot in my moped hacking days.

6 Likes

Thai monk , school now under Royal patronage…

The government support the nationwide training on the energy needs for farmers and rural villagers.

Trainings video for DIY builders…

5 Likes

The lady in black is the Kings Sister

4 Likes

It is not a success, it is a feat, think of all the gasifiers if they work at the same time, now and in the future, this must represent a good bundle of KW, knowing that under its latutides, the biomass grows quickly, it’s a master stroke. especially without overloading the air with CO2, and an energy within reach of all social strata, again congratulations.

4 Likes

Koen; Could you give us a little sonopsis of what we are looking at-- in English? I’m sure you have something that you want us to get out of these, but I for one only speak two languages-- Emglish and profanity. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Tom,
Looking at the explaining for purpose of education.
The different steps and what can be done with it.
Explaining how it works, steps involved, size of components , nothing special or nothing you don’t know already.

I also post this at DOW and point them towards the importance of their work.
trying to get them to look at the work thats also been done by others ( here on Dow )
Kinda make them feel proud , doing things and being on the world stage …

6 Likes

Ministry of energy with educational entity… Science Center for Education… The future engineers

9 Likes

This is great stuff Koen.

on another subject, last night I heard on the radio here that Thailand has only 7 deaths due to COVID. DO you think those numbers are actually accurate or do you think they may have some politics involved as well. ?

2 Likes

Hi Billy,
Those numbers are incorrect.
Here you find the official numbers, you can follow up worldwide

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

So far Thailand has 3162 cases and 58 deaths.

On the fore mentioned website you can click on a lot of information tabs

This is the official page from John Hopkins University, snoop around it might broaden your insights

8 Likes

Idea’s from those who learn to think outside the box with their new knowledge

9 Likes

Thank you,

I wanted to ask you … For that propane bottle Phapang design … hooked to a 100 cc tricycle … How long is the usable burn time?

1 Like

Koen,
What is the difference in the fuel efficiency between directly cooking over charcoal, versus cooking over the gas from an electric blower forced draft charcoal gasifier?

3 Likes

Looks like he has a variable speed control on the fan maybe it is more important to him to have a variable flame that is more easily controlled than just a charcoal fire.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
They get about 40 km driving range with it

5 Likes