The "What followed me home" thread

Root Cutter Mutt

De-barking Spud Tools very much similar
Allows two handed speed scraping
S.U.

4 Likes

Hickory isn’t that far from Kings Mountain.
And yeah I figured you meant something to skin the insulation off.

We don’t really get snow here. It snows really pretty for one day and then it’s ice ice ice.
I feel like I’m the only guy in the county that carries kitty litter or other aggregates to add some traction.
I once drove my Kubota to town because it was the only 4x4 vehicle we owned and still own. Just strapped on the magic orange triangle and she was road legal :joy:

3 Likes

I use an air chisel after I peel the skin off to remove the foam it works quite well.

6 Likes

After the bulk of the foam has been striped off a cutting torch can burn it fairly clean .

5 Likes

The smoke put off from burning polyurethane foam is quite unhealthy. If I recall correctly, it forms hydrogen cyanide when it decomposes.

1 Like

“More Than One Way to Skin the Cat”
But . . . only really ever 3-4 ways to getter’ done easiest. Not a hundred ways.
These foamed water heater are our 21st Century skinning challenges now.
S.U.

4 Likes

Piece of fairly heavy banding steel. Cut a few teeth in it with a cut off wheel. It will bend around at least a quarter of the tank and skin the foam off real close. Costs nothing.

5 Likes

I have an edging spade that I’ll use to skin it. I can just wear a dust mask and use a wire wheel on the rest of it.

3 Likes

Yesterday was Free Buzz Saw Day.
Antique engine buddy of mine knew I would put this to use.
I’ll finally be posting to the Wood Supply thread after I get this setup going with the help of my twin cylinder Wisconsin.

9 Likes

Cool cant wait to see that engine running it , i also have a twin Wisconsin in my collection that i need to fire up one day when i have time , i think maybe a valve is stuck open as it has little to no compression ,

3 Likes

That looks just like the one on my farmall H I would guess it has or had babbitt bearing. I don’t know much about them except that my grandfather always said it was critical that you greese them every time you use it.
I keep thinking how nice it would be to have that running when I work up firewood.

7 Likes

The start of the craft products.

The down side is that I lost the trailers license plate during the journey.

10 Likes

I like that fence on the table saw. Being able to go that wide seems pretty darn handy.
When you please, show the motors you will use to power these tools.

3 Likes

Hi Bruce,

It has/had a bench grinder powering the saw and edger. A shaft at both ends. Since the grinder shafts are not wide enough, the edger was too close to the saw, so the edger fence could not be used to the full potential. I think I’ll use two motors. I have a few one horse motors laying around.

The grinder motor mounted here.

The edger fence.

Have the bench cleaned and painted. The black angle iron is for spreading out the distance between the saw and edger.

8 Likes

Got an offer I couldn’t refuse. Two pallets Jingko 455 Wp. Again a project that interferes with woodgas. But this is the easy way. Some day…. And I dont allow myself to post much, first contribute to this beautiful community before I start blabbering.

Now busy with the DIY solar frame. If my calculation are right, there is a ROI of 1,5-2 years. A few more projects like this and my wife can stop working.

13 Likes

Keep her working Joep. When they have extra time on their hands they just use it to find things for you to do.

10 Likes

One set almost ready but functional. Two to go.
Old 10 year old ( my first set) makes room for the new ones.

Old ones removal.

And the new set. From 3600 Wp to 7200 Wp. Total 22,5 kWp. Wow. Thinking of making the electric connection lighter from 50 A to 25 A 3 phase. Max 17 kW, not possible. Haha. Gonna put some extra and make it 35 kW. Just changed the contract to the most expensive and getting payed €0,40 for every extra kWh. Easy money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Wow Joep. How about new inverter - 25 kW? 30kW?

Is that some kind of NL subsidy? Are you sure it’s not €0.04 ?

4 Likes

No, crazy. It wont last for too long probably. It depends wich provider you choose and how they manage the surplus. And no, no subsidy. Here we can use the energy surplus from the summer, during the winter. That is some form of susidy. After that we have between 1000 and 2000 kWh we sell back. Our current provider pays €0,08, the next one €0,40. And you know the saying: if something is to good to be true, it will probably not be true. So, if my calculations are right, ROI is less then two years. If not, less then 10 years, still ok. Free energy forever. At least as long as I live. For me a no brainer.

And no, all separate inverters. What is best? If one breakes I will hardly notice. Bad situation, probably a 5 kW went out last september. This is why I scale up, making up the lost. If you have one and it breakes you have no power.

Anyway, the system we changed out today was my first. And then came another one. And then an offer from my Polski friend, etc etc. So six inverters now. And nothing new for sale, so I bought a pallet used ones last week. And I think I am going to get me another one. Go with the flow. :grinning:

3 Likes

Basic energyprice is €0,16 now. 4 cents is a very very long time ago. Is was around 5/6 cts for years. Thanks to corona and Putin it trippled.

3 Likes