Thrive Off Grid

You’r doing great things there Matt…

4 Likes

Did another quick side project, this is for a quick to get onto market collapsible rocket stove. Im going to put this on Amazon as soon as I know we can manufacture them fast. The through hole through the fuel tube is the hard part. I have a fixture set up on the mill and use a hole saw to punch this through. It was marginal with the 3" pipe we have in stock, it is 1/8 or maybe greater wall thickness and it is killing the hole saw. I have found a less expensive vendor where we can get 14 Ga 3" tube via a local automotive supplier. Our steel provider is very proud of their tubes. Like 5X more proud than this other supplier. haha. So they are open tomorrow and plan to get a stick of 3" along with some new hole saws. Then its back to build the next revision of the pack stove, that has also evolved and I am going to try and attempt building it so it is also engine run capable. I had to redesign the dampers so they can be completely air tight. But I have no idea if it will make clean enough gas. So we will see if not no biggy its still a nice stove for heat and cooking.

8 Likes

You need a rotary axis on your cnc plasma cutter. Interesting rocket, it even looks like a rocket. Space X will be eating their hearts out ! !

1 Like

Another thought is to use sheet metal, make the cuts then roll into a tube or rectangle tubing.

Cheers !

1 Like

Yeah I want to at some point build a dedicated CNC rotary for stuff like this. Yeah I may try to cut it in a sheet and roll but three inch OD at 12" length may be bit tough to roll.

1 Like

Well I got to thinkin about that and liked the idea to do something a little different and give a more manufactured look. So designed a triangle shaped fuel hopper. I finished up some other stuff to make the CAD model more complete. The kick stand doubles as a plug for when you collapse the stove. When you fit inside the foot acts as a stop to prevent the stakes and burner from falling out the other end or through the fuel port cut into the fire tube.

Its funny on this new revision I renamed the file Rocket Stove V2 so I hope Space X do not get offended as Im going to badge this stove the V2 Rocket …Stove. :slight_smile:

Now I got to get busy and design a new hand break to bend this thing. Our other one would work great if it had a big enough thought. So Im going to design a new much like it but more robust.

2 Likes

I like it !

Now I am wondering if a bit larger version could power a small tube heater. Need to add exhaust fan.

2 Likes

Yes that is a cool idea. As long as you can create a draft I dont see why that would not work.

1 Like

Interesting read. The feed idea is entertaining. Because of air intake you might want to rotate the triangle feed 180°, maybe.

http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Ogle/DOStovetest.html

2 Likes

Yeah I dont about that, as simple as this looks to design it was a pita. The primary air intake comes from the bottom of the fire tube and then the intake for the secondary burn actually will come from the intake of the at the rear of the hopper. This is suppose go to go up and over the fuel and enter in above the fuel to feed the secondary burn air supply.

1 Like

Built the new break today and tried it out so see if I could even pull off bending this triangle. It worked perfect, the locating holes for alignment was spot on. Much better option than trying to put the hole with the hole saw and its a much better design. I think $75 bucks will be a good starting point for intro. Should be able to keep it there but wont know until we build a bunch. 012016006011

8 Likes

I love it when a plan comes together!! That is the most rocket like rocket stove I have seen. :relaxed:

Bravo ! !

4 Likes

Well I like it too. I remember Bill had one like that at Argos one year. At least I think it was Bill… I remember Rocket man Dr Larry himself liked it too, even though he wouldn’t agree that it was really a rocket stove. Maybe with the fins he could be convinced to overlook some of his design principles and still call it a rocket stove anyway. haha :relaxed:

4 Likes

I made coffee with it.
It’s not fair to compare my work to Matt’s. He a far better fabricator than I am.

3 Likes

I have a few things we need to add to it. I guess I had to learn how it works. I found that if I dont let the char burn out and let it fill up the fire tube while feeding it raw fuel it gasified much better. So Im going to add a small grate to it to slow the char from from just falling out. I added some holes and will add some more to aid the char combustion process. The secondary air holes I may open up a bit more or add more. With the holes added and letting it fill up this is what the flare out looks like. 009004

5 Likes

The holes (air inlet) around the stack rocks !

2 Likes

I guess we can call that the second stage booster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

New listing for the stove,$75 introductory price + $20 flat rate shipping

http://www.thriveoffgrid.net/product-page/tog-v2-rocket-stove

5 Likes

Getting very close on this guy, next ones should go a bit faster. This is the first SS hopper build we’ve done an it is mig welded!!! Going to get a tig at some point but it what we have and I have no issue, you just got to be fast and keep with the flow:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok so back on the stove, here I ve added the pellet reactor option. This is revision two, on this reactor.

So as Ive mentioned development is done for the most part on the Utility and Evolution. So this is now where my focus will be and will be creating much for this stove plus other things that will work with it. That being said, this pellet stove reactor yields very nice char pellets. So I think a char pellet gasifier will be in order here very soon. I am going to create a new product line for all this called the Enduro Series. Multi purpose, camp, emergency, RV, Cabin heating cooking and power devises designed to integrate with one another. :fire:

See the video on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/matt.ryder.1420/videos/vb.100002095720899/1573045886108587/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1510790734126823006005

5 Likes