Thrive Off Grid

Yes each corner pillar is part of the gasifier system. The gasifier is housed in one, then chiller, then filter and the fourth is the engine exhaust CHP and also houses the muffler system.

6 Likes

Matt, your latest build is a work of Art, beautiful craftsmanship.
Looking forward to seeing it at Argos if you are able to bring it.
Bob

5 Likes

Well this one will ship at the end of April. I will begin construction of the next one in about a week or two and that one will be built on power provided by this machine until it ships. I think at the rate these are going I should not have a problem getting it complete for the trip to Argos.

7 Likes

Would you just look at it!!

15 Likes

Very nice Matt!!!

4 Likes

WOW
that is an engineering sculpture

4 Likes

Matt,
Optimizing function without sacrificing aesthetics takes a hefty dose of skill & determination, you obviously have both. Making it “manufacture-able” in quantity is a challenge in & of itself.

You have some serious design & engineering skills. This is absolutely beautiful!

6 Likes

Hey Matt .

Let me know where you will be setting up at Argos. I want to park my old truck far enough away that people can’t see your machine and my old truck at the same time.

10 Likes

First wood panel, like ever!! lol. It turned out very nice, we will definitely need to build some sort of drying rack as these panels need like 4 coats of clear with sanding done after the first two.

11 Likes

Running electrical test now and managed to light off a flare tonight.

11 Likes

Hi Matt, excellent work.
I am a student and I am developing a simulated program with Python and NI Labview with SCADA control system, from one of your machines (attached image), we have one of them in our laboratory.
I wonder if, it would be possible that you would provide us with the 3D CAD file of the gasifier, since we would like to perform a simulation under the physical parameters of the real machine.
I want to share my ideas, for this I attach my email [email protected] to tell you about it.

4 Likes

Its Alive!!!

I currently have this wired into the shop and running 100% on this machine. This concludes the foundation of the code and controls. I will move on to autonomous operation modes where the machine can operate as an automatic battery charger, taking the auto start further to crank and start the engine and then shutting down once batteries are fully charged. As time goes on I will add in other things like rpm, low fuel levels, gasoline run mode etc.

13 Likes

That sounds awesome.

4 Likes

Well, looks this is the very last chip fuel gasifier. I prolly shouldnt say Ill never build another one; you never know. But for now at least this is the last of 7 years of manufacture. This machine was originally slated for the fully integrated Evolution Power System, but there has been a change of plan we are going to build a Flex Power Station for that client. So this gasifier became available and has been reformatted as a Utility batch run machine.

So progress on the first and current Flex Power Station has halted temporarily while I complete this unit. I should have this machine ironed out here in about week or so. . June is coming up and this is when I start development work for then next model year First on the list is to bring back the Utility stand alone system in the new format and also as a hybrid system. This will have dual reactors, both the now standard pellet fuel reactor, plus a similar constructed lower charcoal unit. ( no char ash is the goal). It will also share a lighter version of the current controls and will feature full automation and auto generator start systems directly from control panel. I think this is the machine that will most likely make it to Argos this year.

The other project will simply be a three pillar Flex Power System and will take the place of non CHP current models. The current model will be CHP standard for next year. The Three pillar design will feature vertical shaft engines with the engine and generator stacked inside. This will allow for a nice platform to revisit DC Alternators. This will have a smaller hopper and will be with out the auger feed. The hopper will still be expanded but will be around half what the current FPS holds down to around 80 / 100 lbs of fuel.

8 Likes

Because of the wheels and the stack, it reminds me of a steam engine tractor. Add big wheels in the back, a steering wheel, one of those bouncy metal tractor seats, an electric motor for propulsion, and a skin around it, and you will have a parade ready tractor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL, Yeah is has this tough Military appearance to me.

1 Like

Military screams tracks, but tracks on it makes me think of a bulldozer so it would need a blade instead of a cattleguard. It would also need a steam whistle. Put it in a parade with your advertising logo and such on it, it is sure to attract attention. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is the all new Harbor Freight Gasifier!! Ive decided to open source the new reactor technology in a non weld kit. That will start out at $350.00 into pricing. It will go up to $450.00 later. I will also offer the full ring set for $120.00. There is 18 rings / flanges the user will need to source the rest. Ill provide a BOM and some instructions.

This kit is also a hybrid featuring a dual reactor system. There is a charcoal afterburner reactor in the lower that completely eliminates the grate system. This thing is stupid simple!!. The hopper simply slips onto the reactor and is not even bolted down to it. Might need to chain it or something to keep it from flying off in the case of a puff back haha. But where this shines is no need for a puff back lid, just a simple filler neck as this is a pellet machine. They pour nearly well as a liquid. This will not have the hopper moisture issues that plague most other machines as well. Fuel stays perfectly dry all the way to combustion in this reactor system. :fire:

4 Likes

The rings remind me of underfeed coal stokers, like the Van Wert design. Do you have any info on your website about this yet @Matt?

3 Likes

No its been very proprietary until this point.

1 Like