Thrive Off Grid

What you are looking at there in the pic is not the hearth. This is the carburetor for the gasifier. The hearth is bellow it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy there Matt and good evening, sounds promising, the price should help get many more folks into the experiance of driveing with wood gas. my cell phone key board drives me nuts so keep up the dream of self engineering employment cheers.!!!

2 Likes

Matt, Beautiful work as usual! Will you be able to demo this at Argos this year? Blessings to you on this new venture.

2 Likes

That is sweet! How big of an engine does it run? I assume this is for pellets?

1 Like

If I can make it to Argo’s it may be the only machine I can bring. The Flex is just to big to move.

2 Likes

Yup this is a pellet fuel machine. Pellets are the way forward for me with this reactor technology. This is the same technology that is in the Flex Power System. So it can run a range of engines from 400 cc up to the V twins in the 700 to 800 cc range.

It very versatile as you can add / remove the jet rings and adjust the gap spacing. You can also add a second hopper that simply screws onto the existing for running the larger engines.

6 Likes

First kit is ready.

I might even start on this demo video tonight. This will probably be the fastest gasifier I have ever built. I have total of three hours labor cutting and fab into this kit. I estimate 2 to 3 hours assembly including cutting and moding the tanks. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Very nice! You do great work Sir.

3 Likes

Matt, would it be possible to bring a few to Argos and have a workshop on how to build?
Let me know if you can and how much you need .we have a extra day would like to see some people have how I built my truck or how not to do some pit falls to avoid. Dan

5 Likes

Hold that thought, let me get through the demo video and see how plausible it would be.

5 Likes

Harbor Freight Gasifier First Flare OFF!!

8 Likes

Hi matt due you think this machine would be hard too use with branch sticks choped in an emerency.in the back country camping,POSIBLY.not too much more assesserys.for a motor cycle.

1 Like

Nope this is for pellet fuel only. This would be like pumping grease into your gas tank. It will not flow, this machine has a carburetor and it is very specific to pellet fuels.

3 Likes

Ok thanks Matt, wish i could make it too argos this year too see it operateing, Thats a cool design i would like too examin, hope you can make it, i am in a moveing job for past june probbly , not enough time too spend away.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I would want it on a motorcycle, but I bet if it was painted green, it would fit perfectly on a john deere 4-wheeler. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Matt I see you are flaring this using compressed air but you don’t have a valve to create the siphon like Mr. Sabadass has posted. How does yours work? What is the basic design difference when using pellets or those blocks about 1’‘x 1/2’‘x1/2’’ like “CNC is fun” makes out of old pallets. TomC

2 Likes

The flare cup is the same theory as Stevens. The pipe the air is attached to extends all the way through the larger tube. The is a hole drilled into pointing the direction of flow that shoots the air out.

Basic design is a lot this is a whole new bread of gasifier system. The reactor is jet less and I use those rings instead. I can control both volume and velocity very easily, by adding, removing the rings plus the gap can be tuned. This allow for a much broader range than our traditional tier type Imberts. In a way the carburetor sort acts much like NZ Steves (aka CNC machining guy) or Flashes as it also feeds in air down through the center. However, this carburetor also purges the reactor so combustion gases can not get past it. This is a huge deal here, this completely eliminates hopper moisture and allows this reactors core temps to get beyond steel melting points. There is never any smoke in the hopper and it stay completely cool even if ran out of fuel. The water shift is near 100% if you were at Argos last year, I ran the machine I had there all day. It only dropped a tea spoon of condensate! This is the same exact reactor as that machine had and is the same reactor that is in the $14,500.00 Flex Power System :slight_smile:

Im not going to file for patents so here it is. Build it :fire:

4 Likes

I should also note this is a hybrid gasifier, this has a charcoal gasifier at its bottom. It does have a grate however this is below the charcoal reactor. You should not have to mess with grate shaking and this reactor does not have bridging issues.

In the video both reactors are lit and operating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Build instructional video is up

5 Likes

Hi Matt I was wondering about this hybred wood pellet / charcoal gasifier. How large of a engine in a vechile will it supply wood/chargas for and run at highway speeds with no gasoline hybreding.
Also it appears you are not using any exhaust gas or water drip when running it to control the heat of the charcoal gasifier part of it, or am I missing something here. Do you have a cut away diagram to look at. I watched the video and I still not putting it all together in my mind. I hope you bring the kit to see and this gasifier.
Bob

2 Likes