Thrive Off Grid

Well I did not get before pics, but it does look like it melted :frowning:

May just need to shorten it is all though. It does stick far into the reaction zone. I think if I shorten it and get it closer to the end of the jet that may help some.

Hi Mat , its a long road testing for the right material for nozzles but if you can design a way to be able to use mild steel pipe nipples then you are way head of anyone else .
How much water did you have running into your blanked off tube ? maybe more would help if not then its back to the drawing board , unless you go down the road of the tungsten carbide nozzles that a few of us are using .
Anyway i’m really happy to see your little baby up and running and i am sure it wont be long before you have it all sorted and running like a good un .
Dave

2 Likes

I think its just too far in there. I shortened it and going try again. If it melts Ill shorten it more. I think in the end of this the outer nozzle may end up being just slightly longer. It will shroud this pipe.

But on the original set ups I have zero issue with nozzle melting. Just shroud your nozzles with a heavy couplings and you should have the same results. But what Im after is more efficient water cracking along with more stability. That this new set up is doing quite well and doing so on a crude build.

Ok one thing I did find is the water drip did not extend all the way back. That may have the issue. The melting does not extend where this terminated. I found after I shortened the evap tube and then resized the drip tube. I cut off an inch of the evap tube and only a half inch of the drip feed tube. I think it is all a matter of tuning, I think Ill get this working!!

IMG_2096
IMG_2100

1 Like

Quick video of it at night with the water drip.

IMG_2104

6 Likes

Ok one thing that has changed is the fuel consumed all the way to the jet!! That is also something else I was hoping to achieve. the machines I build do not do this. There is generally 8 inches of fuel left above the nozzle before they die out for some reason.

4 Likes

What do you think makes it use more fuel before it dies compared to your other builds?

1 Like

The jet configuration is different. The normal set up is just a typical jet sticking in there. I think the air deflects in all directions. Where this the air is feed through this outer jet but from the sides of the inner evap tube. So the air stream is more concentrated to the sides verse all the way around.

4 Likes

I got to thinking about what Mark said about the availability of those large ammo cans and he’s right. I’m not sure where I could find one that size. You can get .50 caliber boxes at Surplus Center.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Miscellaneous/Ammo-Boxes-Cases/50-Cal-Ammo-Box-End-Hinge-1-1099-A.axd
but they are just about the same size as the Harbor Freight ones I use. One solution may be to get two cans and cut the bottoms out of them leaving enough flange to seal and bolt them together. Then you would have a container that opened at the top for filling and also at the bottom for cleaning. Anyway I really like this design. Easy to adapt and experiment with.

They are quite abundant just do a google search for β€œ60mm ammo can” and take your pick!

https://www.amazon.com/81-MM-Ammo-Can-Grade/dp/B00A9TER9M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1M6EBBRECWTRU&dchild=1&keywords=60mm+ammo+can&qid=1616860030&sprefix=60+mm+ammo+%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-2

https://www.cleanammocans.com/pa-124-ba45-60mm-ammo-can.html

1 Like

Well looking at the Predator 2000 watt inverter genny, it is a bit out of budget. So ordered a 3 horse engine, small self exciting alternator, shaft couple and foot mounts to build my own.

3 Likes

Those little 79cc engines are great. Harbor Freight sells those too sometimes with coupons.

1 Like

Yup, I would have rathered getting the HF Predator, but this one is cheaper delivered. So Im running with it. Yeah I had one but it grew legs and ran off!!

Yeah I went ahead and ordered this inverter as well. Total cost now is, $425.74 :frowning:

So the Predator 2000 watt inverter Genny is $550 buck plus tax. So total savings? $157.26

Not sure about my decision on this one. But I did it my self!!! lol

3 Likes

Just out of interest i put a search in for ammo boxes here in Australia and as always things are over twice the price as what you guys are paying !
This Ebay posting is just one of many i found and they are all the same price for this size to within a cent .

1 Like

Thats actually a good price and about the going price here as well. That one listing is just cheap and a bargain price but that is not what they typically go for; they are generally much more expensive.

Yeah I went and cancelled my orders except for the alt. Im going to hold off on this for a bit.

1 Like

Matt I’m sort of glad you have in a way because i also wanted one of these new fangled inverter generators a few years ago , before i knew it i had dozens of them , even now i can lay my hands on at least 3 small ones and around 3.5 kw and 2 large 7kw generators just laying in my shed , just start looking for scraped out / non working inverter generators you be surprised how many are out there you will be able to pick up cheap .
on the ammo boxes remember our au $50 is only US $38 and i first found this box when i googled AMMO BOX - 81MM CAN

2 Likes

Yeah did you see the shipping?? . Yeah it comes to $36.95 and that is not including our sales tax.

Lol see i’m so used to getting stuff local till i moved here to Australia that even to this day i just assume everything is around the corner silly old fool i am , over here just down the road can mean 500 miles though
Dave

9 Likes

Hi Matt , you gone quiet does that mean your working on some new machine and your teasing us by keeping it under wraps :grin: hope your all good anyway .Dave

4 Likes

Yeah when Im quiet Im busy!! lol.

Yeah I have the Inverter generator built and the new M-1 Standard ready for testing. I have to do a video for the DIY filter for it yet before I can fire it up.

15 Likes