Tools, Tips and Tricks

You get bonus points for using the screw holes for the handles. Actually if you’re can get it to tilt to say 30 degrees it might be a good holder for a lawnmower blade sharpener as well… and double bonus for being able to hold at 90 with a fence.

I hope I didn’t just ruin your Friday night. :grinning:

2 Likes

You’ve got my vote for the jig. If there’s a threaded adjustment for cutting depth it should be pretty efficient in sheet metal up to 13 ga or so, just making a wider cut, and leaving a somewhat tapered edge to clean up, depending on the angle the grinder is set at.

1 Like

Check this out.

C$ 15.11 7%OFF | pureTA2 Titanum sheet 0.8x100x100mm Titanium alloy Strip Belt
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/buKjdrUk

Could have gasifier potential…

This one is about 1/4" thick, probably overkill. Grates and restrictions?

C$ 29.61 7%OFF | 6X100x100mm pureTA2 Titanum plate Titanium alloy Strip Belt All Sizes in Stock Free Shipping
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ba2fjcLI

1 Like

The old apple powerbook cases were made of titanium, ie 2001-3, if you can find one, it would probably be cheaper… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. But they would be 30 gauge at best?

1 Like

No idea. I thought they were machined.

1 Like

Any consumer case on a device will be pressed from sheet metal, if metal is used.

1 Like

Titanium is actualy not a good choice for the job. It has amazing chemical resistance at hightemps but above around 600c it all goes bad. It actualy starts to oxidise wery fast at that point.

I think @glgilmore proved this with useing titanium as his char gasifier nozzle. Did not perform well.

6 Likes

I have a question - steel oxidizes as fast as anything at high temps, but it seems to survive not so bad in the reduction area. I assume due to lack of oxygen?

If that’s the case, won’t titanium perform at least as well? Or will it tend to combine with other chemicals at high temps? I thought it was a component of high temperature jet parts? Maybe I’m confusing it with other nickel-chromium alloys.

2 Likes

as i am working on a project to obtain an as pure as possible gas (foodgrade) from gasification, i just bought this small gadget ( awaiting its arrival )

if you go fast forward towards the end of the video , you’l see them using a flame.

I want to use this for the first simple testing and getting some objective numbers to use…

I am planning on bringing some fun tools to Argos this year… :grin: for educational purposes only…

9 Likes

Broke the like button again!

7 Likes

What Andy said :grinning:

Less than 4 months until what may be the biggest woodgas event in the world .

9 Likes

Inconel X-750 is used in gas turbines, rocket engines, nuclear reactors,…
http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=9612aa3272134531b8b33eb80e61a1af&ckck=1

1 Like

I took the valve out a 20 lb propane tank but I did not have 4 gallons of water to fill it before cutting. After lunch I took 3/4 cup of vinegar and a tablespoon of baking soda and after it fizzed enough to see fog being forced out the opening I made the first cut with no explosion :smile:
Carbon dioxide is good for more than global warming!

11 Likes

Ok Don; What are you building now??? TomC

4 Likes

I had an explosion in my cooler so I am making a new one.

3 Likes

Yes Don, I read about your explosion and I wrote you. You were talking about an air leak, and I was wondering what “ignited” you gas that had mixed with the gas/air mix. TomC

2 Likes

I think the air leak was from a bad seal on my cyclone clean out and when I tried to flare the fire went backwards.

5 Likes

Don, that reminds me. As a kid I had a little plastic boat that had a cork in the deck. I could take the cork out and put in some baking soda and vinegar and cork it back up. It would go skooting around the tub with the gas coming out of a tiny hole in the transom. I found out I could put my dad’s Alka Seltzer in it and it would work just the same. About the time I ran out of Alka Seltzer, my boat disappeared and I never found it again. Hmmm! TomC

9 Likes

The last day or two I needed to close of my air mix a little more than normal . My first though was the hay filter clogging but my vacuum gauges wasn’t reading high so the other option was an air leak . Yep found a big one in the center post of the cooling rack . I fixed it , then put in new hay , cleaned the cooling rails , cleaned the heat X , dumped the ashes and went for a spin . Wow !. Glad no police was around .

11 Likes