Tools, Tips and Tricks

Bob, you need to reinforce your cap with some heavy duty steel :smile:

5 Likes

Bob, sounds like you need an Alabama education. Or maybe just and education about Alabama. Not ALL the steryotypes are wrong…haha

I like JO’s advice, you you could put a light on instead of a camera and you could sell it as a physical therapy device for people with insomnia.

4 Likes

I doubt @Wayne really needs any help to come up with pranks. But since his coyote cage is now world famous, this might be a way to make his visitors add a few moves to their repertoire :smile:

1 Like

Oh, sorry. I didn’t know it was a log-in only. Enjoy, fb-users.

1 Like

Came across this , not seen this before over here maybe its just in the USA its sold .

https://dealygiftshop.com/products/alumifix?fbaid=23843483833810309&fbclid=IwAR1F4Agf5oYrT8sgnNugyHyNz1PNuJdBhbF3lfskf33fwM7MT1WpqFmYcOs

Dave

3 Likes

Yesterday l started training my 1,5 year old horse, set her free for a while to pasture on her own (without any horse company) and soon l saw she was werry nervous. Horse flyes and LOTS of them. Then l remembered something. I took my wood winegar that l made with my charcoal kiln and sprayed it all over her fur. Not a sign of any fly anymore and the horse smells like BBQ :smile:

Edit: l bet same could be done with hopper juice. Anyone willing to try?

9 Likes

Hm, I was over to my neighbour chatting half an hour ago, watching him building his porch/veranda. He was complaining about gnat and mosquitoes.
Back home I’m still sitting on my veranda 9.30 pm and I don’t feel a single gnat. I wonder if all the hopper juice I’m watering unwanted weed with has something to do with it? There’s a nice smell of smoked sausage all over my place :smile:

6 Likes

Fortunately we live on a hill where there is a breeze that keeps bugs away. My wife really complains when she goes to visit people who live in the wood or on a lake. I might suggest she spray down with some hopper juice instead of perfume, that I tell her attracts bugs. How do you think it would work for “sun tan lotion”??? She easily sun burns. TomC

6 Likes

Have her try it and report back :smile:
There are so many useful products coming outof a gasifier. I wouldn’t be surpriced if it worked :smile:

6 Likes

Been wanting to post this finally got to it. When I got back from Argos, there was tar splashed on the back, and roof of the Ranger, that was sun baked on. I thought is would be a good time to experiment, so I got out several different cleaners. I tried Pine-sol, bleach, grease/wax remover, dish soap, nothing worked. I then tried acetone, came right off, and it will not harm the paint.

11 Likes

I found this machine interesting, imaging what i can do with the heat of charcoal making as energy source…

8 Likes

Very interesting.

It looks like the sort of undertaking that makes good sense in the 3rd world.

When I saw the paving stones made from plastic, I was thinking how slippery those would become once worn and wet. It occurred to me that a high proportion of the mix could be sand, thus greatly extending the use of the plastic, and making a stronger and more useful product.

I hope you explore this idea further.

I was also concerned about the lack of gloves or safety glasses around the molten plastic, the consequences could be catastrophic!

6 Likes

I wonder how you would ever clean it up if the plastic goop in that outlet pipe cools?

4 Likes

Tiger torch…

Plus a few more characters.

…And a cloud of toxic smoke…

4 Likes

yup, was thinking the same…
dough i love the possibility’s with the idea…
What other options come to mind are making fence pole’s, construction beams for small sheds, etc etc…

5 Likes

I have always thought of building inter locking bricks for basements and retaining walls. Possibly putting them together with all purpose pipe glue to seal them.

6 Likes

I imagine that I will want to measure differential vacuum pressure across the char bed and other parts of the gasifier. I want to be able to look at one gauge and have it give me the information I want without having to do any math. And I want to be able to use inexpensive vacuum gauges.
So I felt the need to be able to plumb a second vacuum line to the back of a gauge. It turns out that it’s not very difficult. I went to HF and bought the cheapest pressure gauge they had, thinking I was going to ruin it.
The ring that holds plastic window in place wouldn’t come off. I had to cut it with a triangular file. After I got the ring off I was able to solder it back together and reuse it. It was fairly easy to drill a small hole in the back and solder on a little piece of brass tubing that would allow a vacuum tube to be connected. I used 62% tin solder. The biggest challenge was getting the parts hot enough so the solder would stick. A regular soldering iron wouldn’t do it. I had to heat up a nail with a torch. After I got the soldering work done it was easy to seal up all the leaks in the case with RTV silicone and put the gauge back together. I didn’t even ruin the gauge. I’m counting this as one of my successes. Now I just need to find some cheap vacuum gauges.
Rindert

2 Likes

I think you are onto something there! I’ve never opened up one of the low pressure guages. Do they use a bellows or what? I don’t think a bourdon tube would be sensitive enough for our purposes.

1 Like

The one I took apart uses a bourdon tube. Some others use a diaphragm. I don’t see how it would matter to us.

Rindert- What was the pressure range of the HF gauge you modified?

We used to simply put the gauge into a plastic bag, along with an extra tube and seal the thing with rubber bands so we didn’t have to carry 2 gauges. For measurements in the 0-30 inch WC range, of course.

I don’t think there are any “cheap” mechanical gauges (pressure or vacuum) in the 0 to 20 or 30 inch water column range.
At one time Surplus Center had some and I bought a couple. But they are all gone.
Now I think you will have to pay at least USD$30.00 to get a simple 0-30 inch WC vacuum gauge.
Please correct me if I am wrong, so I can buy an extra for myself.

Pete Stanaitis

2 Likes