Tools, Tips and Tricks

Thanks for that!!! I could make some sort of a clear plastic box and do essentially the same thing, but longer lasting. Maybe some sort of seal-a-meal …??? Anyhoo, I still like what I came up with. It took about 3 hours to do it the first time. I think I can do it in about 1/2 hour next time. If I did a set of four all at the same time maybe 1 hour.
I did a search on Amazon. vacuum gauge, sort by: price, low to high. I see some in the 4 to 7 USD range. Of course I wish they were in the 2 for a penny range, but what the hay. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Inches of water H2O guage for $4 to $7? You sure it is not HG - inches of mercury?

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right. Inches of mercury, and I realize now they aren’t sensitive enough.
Rindert

5 Likes

a small adaptation to an air bur to run grooves in plastic plates

12 Likes

Demolition of a concrete in a steel tube,
adaptation of a sawing system to the diamond disc to then be broken with a pneumatic hammer.

6 Likes

The car inspector sayd the discs on my trusty old Seat need replaceing, or latheing down due to severe oxidation and pitting on some places. Well, new discs do cost money and l do not posess a lathe… Or do l? :wink:

Surpriseingly, it did a preety good job. I need to correct one side, l can feel its not 100% true. The left side apears to come out perfect.

20 Likes

Good job Kristijan; I was at my mechanic’s shop and he had a brake lathe sitting in the corner. He was putting new disks on a truck. l asked him if they ever ground brakes down any more and he said up here in the rust belt, the disk/drums are too pitted. That salt or cloride or what ever they are putting on the roads cost us big money for the material but worst what it does to our vehicles. TomC

9 Likes

I usually glue abrasive paper to the blocks and then ride and brake a little gently, doing really well.

9 Likes

Ha, thats a fantastic idea! Thanks will try tomorow.

3 Likes

Today i added innertubes to my snow blower tires. I found the inside of the wheels were lousy with weld spatter. I was looking for this, since i had experienced the same on my lawn tractor. On that occasion, i learned how quickly those innocent looking bomps can wear a hole in you nice new tubes.
So this time i took the tires completely off and used a wire wheel and flap disc tomake everything nice and smooth.

11 Likes

Hi Andy, I cut the center out of old tubes to make liners. I do this on everything with tubes, no more flats from thorns and the likes.

5 Likes

Al, old rubber bootlegs were popular reinforcement liners during the war when tires were hard to find :smile:
The guy who owns one of the local junk yards told me the reason his grandfather started the business was wartime shortage of tires. He ran a hauling business (on wood) and needed tires for his trucks.

8 Likes

124/5000

clamp for consolidation of the broken bike frame.

it is true that I am big and the frame did not resist.

7 Likes

I once saw where someone had drilled and tapped a hole into the crack between the pulley and shaft. Then threaded a machine screw into the hole. It worked.
Rindert

12 Likes

Ok I got one for you. If you need to layout a hole pattern precisely in the space less than the size of a piece of printer paper. It is possible to set most printer to “full size” you can then lay out a pattern using “Free CAD” or other free CAD software online. Might possibly be able to use google sketch up.

You can create your centers and then lay this over your work piece and punch the center marks. Did all the time when we had to make revisions to work already built on the shop floor.

5 Likes

just ordered a bunch of this stuff kind to play around with.

Looks great for covers , filterhousings and a lot of stuff…

Search for Tri Clamp and start dreaming (drooling) what you want to build with it…

4 Likes

For filterhousing, i ordered a bunch fittings with 2",

5 Likes

Bulkheads…

3 Likes

Very nice! I’ve not encountered that style of filter housing.

At one time, I started putting together a gasifier design built purely out of tri-clamp fittings. I never did finish it, but you’re making me want to dig out the parts and resume that…

Lots of fun stuff Sanitary Concentric Reducer | Tri Clamp 8 inch x 4 - SS304

1/8" and 1/4" fiberglass braided rope intended for stove gaskets happens to fit beautifully under compression in the grooves intended for the triclamp gaskets…

4 Likes

talking about nice… (nice Steve)
A ready to go simple fire anyone ?

1 Like