Tools, Tips and Tricks

Mine just started spinning - I guess fall is here :grinning: I cant say if some are better than others, but everyone that has had one that I know has been happy with it. They move a surprising amount of air, and I think it really helps when we dry laundry next to the stove.

4 Likes

Ran across this one, make sense to have it mounted to the flue pipe. image

3 Likes

US $0.59 10%OFF | TEC1-12706 12703 12704 12705 12708 12709 12710 12712 12715 Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier 40*40MM 12V Peltier Elemente Module

File this under DYI.
I wish they were more efficient. 5% was what I read the last time I got into it.

2 Likes

I bought some and played with them a little bit a couple years ago. The output is really small. Even with a big heatsink and a hot surface (I think I tested it with a frying pan) I could only get a little over a volt out of one. I think I remember seeing someone who built a big array of them, like 2 feet square that he put on a woodstove. I dont remember how much output he got. They are a cool idea, but they do not really have any practical purpose as a way to generate power (unless you have a giant pellet of plutonium, the cold hard vacuum of space nearby, and NASA’s budget). :grinning:

3 Likes

I do have one.
We have a small house (400 sqft) so it works well for us.
I also use it as a gauge for the stove temp.

4 Likes

I have one as well, a DOW member sent it as a house warming gift… They work reliably. Bearings started to get noisy so I pulled it back off again. Even new, they are not silent, but you get used to it.

I also have two temp gauges, one on the stove and one on the chimney, and find that very useful to monitor output.

Extremely low power output, just enough to keep a fan spinning. They move a little air, but I find a good ceiling fan is more effective.

5 Likes

Getting access to shop attic without loosing floor space for stairs:

Pete Stanaitis

8 Likes

That’s exactly my plan for this winter. I love it

4 Likes

Very nice Pete, well thought out and safe

4 Likes

Be careful you don’t get too much moisture in the room, and sag the plaster on the ceiling. Our friends had that happen. doing exactly that, but they also had 3 kids, and probably a lot more laundry. The other sure fire way is trying to make maple syrup on a stove inside… multiple ceilings had caved because of that… lol

The only -supposed- be careful for the fan is that you still have enough heat going out to carry tars and crap or else they cool too fast and have more potential to stick in the pipe. Which could result in quickly overheating your house. i have been told it doesn’t matter, to it helped set the house on fire… i suspect risk is entirely dependent on how often you decide to turn into Bert (Dick Van Dyke) and dance on roofs.

2 Likes

It looks great, and thank you for not building the elevator version using a winch. Those DIY things look scary.

We used to have some fire exits you could jump up and pull down, then get to the top of the building. They are kind of fun on the way down because they ‘float’ until you are out far enough to create enough leverage to overcome the ballast to make it drop. I doubt yours are fancy enough to have a ballast, but I thought I would share. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got this delivered today.

It’s an inspection camera. Less expensive and way better than the cheapest Harbor Freight model. Works well at first turn on. I bought it to do some car repairs but seems like it might be good to inspect the inside of the gasifiers as well.

1 Like

Hey Tom .

Just one colostomy and it has paid for itself :smiley:

6 Likes

I have one sort of like that but it plugs into my cell phone and uses the camera fi app. I only paid about 20 bucks for it but it work really good. I poke thru a 1/2 inch pvc pipe with a 45 degree street elbow which helps it aim better because the coiled wire has a memory and is hard to aim otherwise.

4 Likes

Seems like a shitty way to treat a new tool Wayne.

3 Likes

No room for ballast mechanics.

i reckon you meant colonoscopy ? would not like the first… :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Koen .

Me and spelling don’t do well :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Hey! This second one is not pleasant either.
S.U.

1 Like

This could come in handy when cutting stuff for filters and many more things. I am going to try this tomorrow.

10 Likes