Tractor with gas?

tone , you dont write to much…your conclusions are coming from practice and observations…you are a deep thinker in all what you do…sharing this with us is a benefit for all forum members and outside readers and is worth gold!
your tractor works really “super”, and this is the best prove…
thanks for sharing
ciao giorgio
p.s. probably this week is my tractor transport…i found another more close nearby…

14 Likes

What Giorgio said times ten.

I would think that running gas through those small tubes would plug them with even a small amount of soot. I think I’d enclose them in a cylinder, like you would use for a cyclone and run cooling water though them to cool the gas as it passed through the cylinder.

7 Likes

I agree with you on that Tom, but I was thinking of having the incoming clean air go through the tubes.

Garry C

6 Likes

hi tom
my intention is to circulate the primary air in the small pipes and the hot gas in a large pipe wrapping the small pipes

8 Likes

hello thierry, what is happened with your nice stainless steel gasifier on the oliver tractor?
was this a design with bottom nozzle and up-draft?
i have found the same beer-barrels in stainless for the next gasifier…
ciao giorgio

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a gentleman that uploaded such an idea for his gasifier. It was very effective for him.

Edit, I found his posts. He runs his hot gas through the pipes, air surrounds it. Pipes are 1" in diameter. They’re fairly close together so I suspect that’s why it works so well.

I’m sure the other way around could work well.

6 Likes

Hi Giorgio
I disassembled the gasifier from the caterpillar tractor. I found it too small (1/2 hour of operation) and it was poorly attached to the tractor, it would probably have ripped off (these tractors are very hard on the human body)

7 Likes

Delivery of humus, which I dig next to the forest, to enrich the field.

17 Likes

In my woods the humus is at least a foot thick, black and fluffy, and when I first got serious about growing food I transferred it to my garden but as soon as it got sun it went nutz and every imaginable weed and forest plant burst into life. Took a lot of effort to fix that.
No plowing going on around here. It would be really nice to have a longer growing season.

5 Likes

Fun and work, well, I noticed that the resistance of the gas increased, I had to choke the air much more, … in the refrigerator (radiator) fine ash and black dust accumulated, which got wet and stuck to the wall, dismantled I took the refrigerator and washed it. The tractor works again according to the “factory” settings. :grin:

17 Likes

Some stupid idea gives me peace, don’t try to guess what it would be, … the subject is clearly wood gas and my diesel Fergie. As I already mentioned, it happens that at high load and higher revolutions it works without diesel fuel, apparently the combustion chambers are so hot that the gas ignites. I intend to try to ignite the mixture with the help of glow plugs, which I would install in the combustion chamber, and I would change the heating power with the power regulator.

12 Likes

How do you determine that you are not using diesel, by pulling the fuel stop knob and it stays running?

7 Likes

Don, that’s right, I pull the stop lever all the way, otherwise I have it set to the minimum amount exactly.

9 Likes

The ignition theory goes like this, the engine piston compresses a mixture of air and gas, which heats up to a fairly high temperature due to the compression, but this temperature is not yet sufficient for ignition, but when a particle of gas comes into contact with the hot surface of the glow plug, it ignites and from here the fire spreads to the remaining gas. More heated spark plugs should cause a large pre-ignition, and less heated ones a smaller one. I would regulate the power and revolutions of the engine as before, the revolutions with the throttle, and the power with the ratio of gas to air, the operating philosophy of the diesel engine.

10 Likes

very interesting aspect…indeed in tilmans book swiss gengas is written about higher compressed modyfied engines for woodgas…there is to avoid every sharp edges to avoid glowing edges, that makes uncontrolled gas ignition…the idea with the pre-heating candles is great…ignition by controlled glowing …you will do it if it is doable!

7 Likes

I have some confusion about converting a diesel to sparked ignition. Where does the juice to fire the plugs come from? You can control the timing with something like a crank trigger ignition but it seems you would still need the coil and some sort of distributor, wouldn’t you?

3 Likes

Today, the tractor worked for 4 hours, a lot of the time in low revs without load, and then fully loaded in high revs, it was towing a large trailer on steep terrain, of course, without a cardan drive on the back of the trailer, it won’t work,… the glow plugs will have to wait

15 Likes

How do match tractor speed with pto driven trailer wheels?

Do you back off the springs on the shaft clutch so it can slip a little?

8 Likes