Tractor with gas?

That is great info Göran, then I am not completly ’out there’. Thank you. This makes me feel way less stupid :grinning:
On the other hand it is better for the pto shaft to break than the gears. I guess thats why they invented the ’slip connection’ or ’safety coupling’ not sure what it is called in english

6 Likes

I emptied about 20 liters of ash from the gasifier and burned the pure fun in the gasifier and drove a few kilometers,… :woozy_face::grinning:

18 Likes

Super, Tone. Yesterday I was only allowed in the house if I jumped in the shower right away. And you are asked to dance?

10 Likes

A friend and colleague (guitarist and singer on the right) celebrated 50 years, well, my lovely wife loves to dance when she hears music,…
If I translate a few words:
female voice in the background: “will you drink?”
Lyrics:
"to love someone
it’s like in a fairy tale
a fairy tale
only lives in the book,
may the fairy
takes there,…

In addition to singular and plural, Slovenian also has dual, so the translation is not the best. :woozy_face::grin:

14 Likes

There is a real benefit to adding an adapter to the small pto on a Ferguson. You get a standard 1 3/8" (I think) pto spline, and a free safety torque limiter. Don’t ask how I know this.

7 Likes

As Göran said, there is probably a reason why they went bigger pto shaft.
Happy to hear that the adapter worked as a torque limiter or as a safety shear pin for you. Luckily those are fairly cheap, at least compared to a pto rebuild.

6 Likes

Work in the company in the morning,:woozy_face: and fun in the afternoon…,.:grin:

13 Likes

Woodgas and hay. Tone, that’s about as much fun you can have with clothes still on :smile:

9 Likes

Honest to God Tone. I didn’t imagine you had a job outside your homestead. I guess you don’t get or need much sleep. I used to work 12-14 hours a day too but those days are just a fading memory and sometimes I think I must have dreamed them.

11 Likes

I took a day off and had some more “fun” to collect and transport hay, well, some highlights of the day are recorded for our forum,…

16 Likes

tone, what do you do with all this hay???
will you keep some sheep for filter wool production?
and a bit of milk, cheese and manure of course…
ciao giorgio…
impressive your farm!!

8 Likes

Giorgio, there are approx. 1.5 - 2 hectares of meadows around the homestead, mainly steep terrain, I have some planted fruit trees, apple trees, plums, walnuts, figs, pears,… I don’t have animals that would eat the hay, but that will change, well, in previous years I took the hay to a friend’s house, but this year he has enough hay, so I took the hay to a pile where I compost the leaves and organic matter…
There is not enough time for all the activities to grow food at home, but at least I do most of the work on wood gas.

13 Likes

I would like to see the hay wagon in action, loading, and unloading. :thinking:

10 Likes

The tractor has been working a lot lately, well, I mostly “feed” it now with torified wood, the gas is strong, there is a little condensation from the funnel, and there is no moisture in the front of the refrigerator.
Now, when it’s sunny and hot, the torification process takes two hours and I get about 30 kg of fuel, 60 kg in 4 hours, which is enough for 4 hours of operation at full power, or 6-8 hours of moderate load.

16 Likes

And your wall is finished :grinning: Beautiful, Obelix

And to make torified wood you need wood to burn? Small step to go further and make charcoal?

8 Likes

Thank you @Jan and @Tone and others that chimed in, this post #178 and onwards answered a lot of the questions I had in my head :+1: :blush:

4 Likes

I tried to look what numbers the package of electrodes he had on the hood,of the tractor and of course it had a fold on the sticker as they often have :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
But it looked like OK 64.85 but I can’t find those of course (I paused in the right moment at 3,56 - 4,05. Judging by the numbers however they should be stainless, which I heard that could be used with good success on cast iron, but why not cast iron electrodes?

What did you use to weld your block?

Edit: the reason I ask is that I have a ford 5000 standing around that got coolant in the oil 6-7 years ago and they are apparently notorious for having thin casting walls in the block so most likely it is a crack. It could be as easy as the head gasket or possibly something with a sleeve. It did hard work before I saw it.

8 Likes

The basic principle when welding an engine block is that you either heat up and weld the entire piece, or welding is done “cold”, … Below is a link, otherwise in Slovenian (the translator works wonders), which describes some of the characteristics of electrodes for welding gray cast iron.
To summarize, use gray iron electrodes, prepare and clean the surface, heat the weld area moderately to evaporate the oil and impurities, take your time and make short welds, grind and clean the weld while the metal cools and make a short weld again,.,…

8 Likes

Thank you Tone, good article.
It seems like Ni55 electrodes is the way to go when using stick welder, just have to find out which numbers the electrodes have.
Brazing, as Steve said, is the best to use judging from what I have read but most of the gas welding fillers I have is unmarked so I have no idea what it is for, making it more of a surprise weld :joy:

My sister bought what was left from an old blacksmith shop in town last year and the electrodes that was not in marked boxes she gave to me, it was mostly special electrodes like aluminium electrodes, cast iron electrodes and such. All tied together in bundles with string, tape or in plastic bags, took a little detective work but most is identified now.

Do you remember which electrodes you used?

8 Likes

Jan, I can’t remember the electrode number, they were probably similar to the ones you listed above, I used up my entire supply of these electrodes not long ago when I was welding a cast iron bevel reducer housing to drive my brother’s hay trailer pickup. :woozy_face::roll_eyes:

6 Likes