Tractor with gas?

Hey Tone, I was wondering how densely you packed your filter with wool, and if you washed the lanolin oil off of the wool?

My cousins have a couple of sheep and they’ve just been throwing away the wool, and they said they’d just give me what they shear off. I suspect I’ll have more than enough raw wool.

14 Likes

Hi Cody, I haven’t washed the sheep’s wool at all, because if it’s greasy, it binds dust particles even better, well, if I was short of wool, I could wash the dirty, already used wool and use it again. I cover the top of the wool with a cotton cloth, which I spray with an oil mist, I also spray the filter container with an oil mist, it works well against corrosion.

21 Likes

Today was a wery pleasant sunday, brother and l visited Tone. We bothered him for way too long but time sure flyes when in good company. He took us on a sunday joyride so hop along, lets burn some woodchips!

24 Likes

Thanks for the ride ! You made me smile through the entire trip :grinning:

15 Likes

Me and my Fergie have camera jitters, as soon as Kristjan called me, we both chatted… otherwise it’s nice to hang out with friends with similar views… time passes too quickly :grinning:

18 Likes

Thanks Kristijan and Tone for the ride. Smiling ear to ear here also.
OMG it’s green. Stunningly beautiful surroundings.

16 Likes

Hey Tone. What does the Kruster1972 on you video mean. If the 1972 is your birth year then I have two daughters older than you. Now I really feel old. Say it isn’t so. :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

14 Likes

What Wayne and J-O said, big smile :blush:

10 Likes

Tom, if you have daughters older than me, you were really hardworking in your early youth (of course your wife too),… :grinning:

11 Likes

Not a lot of hard work involved Tone. Of course if I had a time machine I’m pretty sure I’d go back and get the snip job. :scream:

7 Likes

Tom, you don’t want to go back, think, with the good things come the hard ones, you’ve done and survived so far, I don’t want to go through all that anymore, this time that is now is the best for all of us, just don’t we can waste it. :+1:

14 Likes

330 hours on wood
Today I cleaned the gasifier, “regular service after 50 operating hours”, I turned it upside down and emptied the contents, you can see that there were quite a few minerals among the charcoal.

we talked about the weight of the gasifier, and I weighed it

a look inside, no damage so far

19 Likes

70 kilos, amazing job Tone. I knew it was light but not that light!

15 Likes

You looked good on Camera, it was nice to see your big bright smile, but I could see on the video, you and Fergie were running as fast as you could to get away from the camera. The things I noticed was it was actually quite beautiful countryside. You didn’t take the turn with the stop sign. And while in the middle of the intersection with the orange tractor, you weren’t paying attention to the road, you were trying to figure out how you were going to gasify it.

13 Likes

Hi Tone
Do you think that your gasifier, with several levels of nozzles, works at a lower temperature than the gasifiers with a single ring of nozzles (without small central nozzle)?
I want to talk about the temperature at the level of the two rings of nozzles. At the height of the small central nozzle, I suppose that there is only charcoal left and the temperatures there are very high

8 Likes

Hi Trigaux, I believe that the temperature between the glowing charcoal is very high in any gasifier that works well, regardless of the arrangement of the air nozzles, I tried with my arrangement to achieve only a wide range of stable operation, from low to high load. At low load, very high temperatures are distributed around the barrel nozzle, but when gas consumption increases, the glowing temperature spreads upwards, as the engine vacuum pulls the gas from the upper part and also the air through the higher nozzles. The difference in vacuum between the levels is created by the diameter of the hot zone pipe and the material it is filled with (fine coal mixed with ash), above I posted a picture of the material I emptied from the gasifier, here you can also see the clinker that is produced from the molten ash. even in the area of the highest installed nozzles, a hard crust of ash similar to concrete was formed, which means that it was also hellishly hot here.

12 Likes

in your gasifier, I imagine that the numerous nozzles, placed at different heights, inject air into a large volume of fuel vs. into an Imbert. few nozzles in a small volume of fuel. I therefore deduce that the energy released by the oxidation of the fuel distributed in a large volume reaches lower temperatures than in a small volume.
I hope I am understandable. it’s difficult to explain my understanding of things, English is not my mother tongue

12 Likes

ThierryT. reading understanding TONE’s explianations it is very important to realize he is working with variable speed, and loaded IC engines.
His gasifier internal jets draws vary; because of these engine driven needs.
He only blower-fans from cold for gasifier starting-up, heating-up.
So his has NO corospondnece to LAB-Rat purely electric blower system results.

So just like on a purely mechanical liquid fuel gasoline carburetor; or a purely mechanical LPG/propane mixer the varying pulled engine sucking draws will bias different flows from different mixer jets and orifaces.
But as a solid fueled system it’s own internal changing levels of resistance to flow; and effects of desired outgassing in each gassers Internal levels will also affect jets levels flows.

His truly now is an advanced many stages carburetor.
Regards
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Its not how it works unfortunaly. The ratio between air and gas output is rather constant, no matter the design. Chemistry doesent lie, it takes a number of molecules to react with a number of molecules. But what we can do is spread those air molecules trugh the hearth. Imbert dumps them all “fast and furious”, Mr Waynes pours them in gently, multi nozzle level style gasifier (as is Tones, JOs, myne early tryes, Arvids…) do them on multiple levels. Each had its pros and cons, but most of all its important to tailor the design based on the needs, and FUEL.

14 Likes

People continue to not understand the basic principles of how Tone’s system of nozzles works. We must first understand Bernoulli effect.
The small brass device in the middle of this assembly is a vacuum generator that uses Bernoulli effect. When I put air pressure in one end I get vacuum out of the other end. This is much like the arrangement of Tone’s lower grate nozzle. But Tone’s nozzles are not designed for making strong vacuum. They make only weak vacuum. However, when the hearth becomes restricted air flow to the upper nozzles is reduced. This forces the lower grate nozzle to reverse flow, just as if I had covered the exhaust ports of the vacuum generator with my fingers.
Tone’s nozzle system creates a dynamic balance of air flows between the lower nozzles and the upper ones. Ask me any questions.
Rindert

8 Likes