Tractor with gas?

Mr. Wayne once wrote, “when you drive on wood gas, your tires wear out”, but I say when you have a tractor on wood gas, you will have your hands up to your knees, work,… work,…

I recorded this the day before yesterday, nothing surprising, just a standard procedure, well, I blew the gasifier a little too briefly before starting,…

16 Likes

Mr Tone, you have way to much fun :smiley:
Your tractor is amazing :+1:

14 Likes

Tone, your Fergie sure runs sweat.
Looks like an airplane cockpit with all the buttons and levers :smile:

15 Likes

And Tone like a mad sciencetist actualy knowing what they are for :smile:

14 Likes

Since I’m making silent movies like Charlie Chaplin, I’ll add some more subtitles:

• the tractor worked for about half an hour, until I reached the forest, where I was sawing and loading wood, this lasted for 3 hours, in the meantime I occasionally open the lid to keep the fire alive
  • when starting, I first blow air on the nozzles while the chimney is open, so a larger part of the water vapor comes up and does not cool the heart with charcoal
  • then I close the chimney and wait until I get combustible gas, install the gas pipe on the filter, which is filled with gas, then turn off the blower and install the pipe from the filter on the gas mixer
  • when starting the engine, I set the air flap (the lever I turn) to a fairly closed position, the lower lever (the lever from the bike gearbox), to set the centrifugal regulator, I set it to low speed and the upper throttle lever to 1/4 opening.
  • the gas is bad at the beginning and a bit moist, if the engine inhales a full amount of such a mixture, it does not ignite, probably due to high compression and moisture, so I try to adjust the levers so that the cylinders are only partially filled with the mixture, which allows ignition
  • while I adjust the levers and try to start the engine, the steam presses down into the hot zone and cools it down, and the gas becomes very bad, so it occasionally happens that after a successful start the engine shuts down again and the process has to be repeated :grin:
12 Likes

Yeah, that’s a critical moment right there. We should have a special word for it. It’s related to hesitation, but not quite. Suggestions anyone?

Since I also have a loose fit blower it’s about hurry up between blower shutdown and cranking. Plug the outlet, store away the blower and walk around to the driver’s seat for cranking is sometimes too many seconds to maintain enough heat if it’s the first start of the day. Also, this is the moment when wife usually takes the oppertunity to call me away or wants me to focus on something else :confounded:
With the fuel injection it’s easier and more wife friendly to just take off, let the stored gas run out and add a few short clicks on the fuelpump switch to overcome bogging down.

14 Likes

What JO said plus 20 characters

11 Likes

Yeah. Now try this Early-Unstabilzed Woodgas fueling on a cold cylinder; single-cylinder hand cranker engine!!
It will have you overheating, munching through; wearing out; and even breaking weak electric starters.

So there is my conditions suggestion: EUW.
It phonically is said in English as “EEE-OOH!” Like the declaration stepping into a big pile of stinking fresh dog shit.
S.U.

8 Likes

In the afternoon, me and Fergie worked “hard”, I still use the remaining heat to dry the wood, which I filled to the top and to repel mosquitoes,… :grinning:

20 Likes

I did another simple test, I poured water and cooled the condensation zone, this is a very effective method, judge for yourself,…

14 Likes

I let the grass grow kind of long this year, and am mowing in strips to give the dragonflys and other critters a habitat. It seemed to work okay last year, but we haven’t had nearly the mosquitos we used to have. And I am seeing a BUNCH more dragonflys which eat like 100 a day. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Mr Tone. Regarding your BCS mower video.
I’d like to know more about your propane set up. From the tank I’m guessing you are plumbed into some kind of pressure regulator and then to the carb. I left the gas in my saw mill engine for over a year of non-use so the carb is pretty much screwed. Rather than order a new one I’d rather just convert to propane without spending a chunk of money for a purchased conversion set up. I have one on one of my generators and I can’t really see what it was I paid the money for. I’d appreciate it if you could explain how you did yours.

13 Likes

Tom, a sketch will say more than my words, well, it’s a simple system with a “classic” gas mixer, which is made in a ratio of 1:15 (the cross section of the air hole is 15 x larger than the gas holes), I added an additional small tube with a nozzle cross-section of 1.5 mm and placed it in the air duct to prepare the mixture for idling. The pressure regulator is vacuum, which means that the engine must create a small vacuum in order to start sucking gas…

17 Likes

Great build Tone. One thing I could not completly make out from the video is how the engine exhaust propane heater is made, is the propane pipe just wrapped around the exhaust? Or is the exhaust simply blowing on the tank?
I would think that it needs to be before the vacuum regulator to handle the temperature change that comes with the pressure drop but I could not make that out.

11 Likes

Johan, the exhaust simply blows towards the tank, but be careful, it must not blow directly, the direction of the exhaust gases is past the tank, so the surface is heated only by a part of the hot gases mixed with the surrounding air, which swirl around the tank

14 Likes

Ok, I understand, I knew that you had done some thinking before just aiming the exhaust to the tank.
It is quite a bit sketchy to not put any thoughts into it before heating a propane tank.
This way is much better than wrapping the pipe around the exhaust , otherwise you would heat the propane a lot i the pipe when you shut down.

11 Likes

Thanks for the sketch. I would not have thought to put the by-pass idle tube in. Otherwise it looks a lot like the conversion I bought for my Generac 12 years ago for $230 dollars at that time. It’s been horrible hot and humid here for days now. This looks like a good project I could play with in the root cellar.

9 Likes

This is what it looks like in real life

16 Likes

How do you get propane in a freon tank?

6 Likes

“propane”, or LPG (liquefied petroleum gas), is, as you already know, in liquid form in a cylinder. The pressure at which the gas is in liquid form depends on the temperature, so I place the cylinder from which I am filling in the sun so that it warms up a bit, while the lawnmower is in the shade, thus creating a difference between the pressures in these cylinders, which enables easy and fast gas flow (of course in liquid form).

15 Likes