U. S. A. Cross Country trip

You are welcome anytime Jakob. Are you planning to stop in and see Steve U when you are West?

2 Likes

Maybe depending on where he lives.

2 Likes

I could change it to this, It is almost the same amount of miles. I might possibly need to stop at Wayne’s for wood then, but I could probably make it all the way home from Tom’s.
I found a mini barn shop in Helena that told me that I can have all the wood scraps I want especially in the month of June. https://goo.gl/maps/VojXFh241mEth9rA9

3 Likes

How much wood would you need for me to process?

1 Like

If we go this route 800-900 lbs. I would load about 1000 lbs at the Argos. I hope that Kevin and Tyler would have enough wood to replace the 300 lbs I would burn getting to their place from Argos. If they have that I should end up at your place with 5-6 hundred pounds of wood and it is about 1300 miles to my next fuel stop in Helena. I Guess I could load up 5 or 6 hundred lbs of wood at Kevin’s and that would mean I would only need between 6 and 7 hundred pounds of wood from you. I guess It kind of depends on what you have and how hard it is to process and what Kevin has and how hard it is for him to process wood.

5 Likes

https://goo.gl/maps/hiacktRYX9FtXDG69
https://goo.gl/maps/Z5jMLnvPAAkmAQ4f8

3 Likes

Allso are you getting around 1 1/2 pounds a mile with loaded trailer or have you tested that, and how dry or seasoned the wood is, maybe some states allow state land dead wood cutting if checked ahead.

3 Likes

On the way to and from Argos with the Wk I got an average of 1 1/4 lb per mile I got more mileage on Ron’s kiln dried wood, But I think everyone gets that.:grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

Hey Jakob.

I seem to get about 1 and 1/4 mile per pound of wood.

About the best I have done is 1.3 miles per pound .

5 Likes

Man thats good wood miles per pound, Them v8 dakotas sure run good on wood.

5 Likes

I am trying to plan this thing for real now . I am starting school in January and will be in school 4 days a week for a year . I want to do this trip while I am still 16 so before August.
I have a week off from class At the end of march with the two weekends that would be 9 and 1/2 days available. That is the longest unscheduled time I have before next spring. I did the numbers and to try to do the route I had planned before is not realistic and is counting to much on a gasifier with no wiggle room. I will be getting out of class at around two o’clock on thursday afternoons and have to be in class monday morning.that leaves me with a lot of 3 1/2 day weekends which makes it possible to do some of the sections in a different times. I could do a trip to the east coast then to the gulf of mexico In one or two of those weekends. I could either go to North Minnesota or to detroit. Thjat would take one of the weekends. I could use the ten day window to travel to the west coast. That is the only way I really see this to be feizable. All that to ask. Who can have wood processed and how much work is it for you? And place to stay/camp for two or three of us. I Am going to need a lot of wood on the west coast and I will need wood between corvallis and here so Louisville CO and Lincoln NE will probably be welcomed stops if they are available.

6 Likes

Even if I have to process wood with an electric motor, I’ll have wood processed.

3 Likes

Jakob, you are always welcome at our home in NE Indiana (near Craigville between Bluffton and Decatur). I will have to work on that wood re-supply thing…have plenty of scrap metal, tools, and a Dakota you can take parts off of… :laughing::upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile::rat::construction_worker_man:

2 Likes

No matter what direction you travel from here I figure you’ll need 1k + I can come up with the wood it’s the storage and keeping it dry for you. Not insurmountable problems though. End of March??

3 Likes

The wood does not have to be kept extremely dry covering it with an old tarp will do the job .

4 Likes

I hope that will not be necessary. I plan to put the tool box under the wood I don’t plan to need it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Put it on top. Guaranteed to not need it. Put it on the bottom. Well:woozy_face:

5 Likes

That is the way it always seems to work. I guess I will make sure and put it on top. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Bob learned all about tool box location on our 2nd trip to Argos!

5 Likes

Ha ha, next year I will put my tools in the back of the truck and Mike’s wood burner truck can tow my truck to Argos.
Bob

3 Likes