Vacuum Automixer project

Correct. I put a restrictive plug in the gas hose to simulate gasifier restriction for the video.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!
14.10. 2016

There are a lot of applicable valves for this use. Back in 1994 I used a cylindrical slide-valve moving along its length axis…

1 Like

Hi Thierry,

No, mine is still hand adjusted, as it is for teaching…

Not sure, but i think this kind of auto-mixer only works if you have a “twin flap” carburator, meaning a valve on both gas line and airline…

1 Like

This is awesome. First post I read when I found the site. Two questions, Do you have a startup bellows like Gasman described, or does this replace that? And may I replicate?(or attempt toxD)

I never got as far as building the startup idle mechanism. It works OK without, although I’m sure it’s better with.

Yes, please do build one. But not until you’ve learned to drive without it - think of this as woodgas calculus… start by learning basic addition and subtraction (manual air mixture).

3 Likes

Hi, Justin!
You got the framework by Chris, who also has made a series of videos describing how he made his version of the system.
The start-up idle bellow is a parallell/alternative function to the “handgas” setting on the dashboard.
The handgas should not be used for startup if the bellows is set correct.

The bellows makes starting flexible for different temperatures, as it is setting the achieved succing vacuum when start-crancing.
If well pre-set, it is usually better than a less routined driver.

It does not replace anything; it is an extra device guaranteeing enough vacuum for correct mixing ratio at cranking.

Go through Chris’ all videos about it before starting a build!
This lessens misconseptions and a lot of work…

1 Like

Hi, Justin

Here is the adress to the project:

I have been turning over an idea that (I think) might make this vacuum automixer even more useful. The idea is to create a slight bias, to make the mixture either slightly rich or leaner from inside the vehicle cabin. To learn a little about muscle wire see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8eHD_lBpHM

1 Like

Hi, Rindert!
The muscle wire is an interesting “tool” for many applications.

But, in this system it is ill-placed; the membrane has nothing to do with with gas-dispensing!
The membrane’s role is ONLY to deliver an airflow at the same pressure as the momentary pressure in the arriving gasline!
It’s role is to help equalizing dynamical gas-pillar changes at a relative low difference level.

Gas/air dispensing happens mostly at high vacuum levels with precision tracking flaps. They have to respond fast and correctly with equal qualifications.

A membrane chamber has not the properties for dispensing at the highly variating vacuums the dispensing flaps have to handle.
It has been said before, hopefully adopted this time.

5 Likes

Having fun making an automixer for myself :grin:

15 Likes

I did it again. Gutted a pair of old brake chambers. Machined a rod bushing, threaded in another bung on the air side, made a slide rod and a diaphragm from 6mil plastic. Works well and will be on the shelf for future projects. :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

That is a OLD brake chamber, what was that off of??

5 Likes

1940-1950’s oil tanker that was used in the movie Maximum Overdrive here in Greensboro NC. The wrecked trailer sits in our “boneyard” at the plant site I work at.

8 Likes

Now, I’m not mad, but…uh… There are fans of that movie that would pay a pretty penny for a piece of that history…

6 Likes

Get a certificate of authencity for a movie prop for it. And you MAY be able to sell it for a lot more then scrap. :stuck_out_tongue: Then you can probably buy a non-movie one and tractor to pull it with, and you will have yourself the worlds biggest fully portable system. :laughing: The only thing dragging the price down is the size, a lot of those movie colllectors like smaller shelf type of stuff.

5 Likes

Ohh I know. I’m a huge fan as well. But with it being the city, they are scrapping all of what’s left in that field for facility development. I’ve told the fan group and forums years ago. Even tried to have the city set up an auction for it just to save something. They claim it’s a liability to do anything but have a company to remove the 4 acres of industrial scrap including this trailer. That’s how I was able to build my large Ben Peterson style gasifier out of stainless air supply tubing. I’m getting everything I can get in this short opportunity before it’s gone to waste. But I completely agree with you on that trailer. I’ve talked till I was blue and pleaded with them with just blank stares back at me. So I’ll find out the third party contractor that will remove it and tell them they could make some money selling it to a collector rather than scrap it. That’s how I saved one of our large Fairbanks Morse opposed cylinder engines that the city sold for junk. Told the contractor and they sold it to our local antique engine and steam museum for a running display.

7 Likes

It is most definitely a liability to open to the general public especially since it is industrial and the general public will most likely have to cut up stuff to move it. Sign a waiver and start hauling stuff out. I would be looking for crap to make like a rebak chunker among other things.

4 Likes

Not to stray away from the thread topic. But I do have an eye on a hefty gearbox to make a indestructible chunker. But we will see. Got to definitely build a trailer just for it while I’m at it.

5 Likes

Getting close. Only thing left is to cut the actuator shaft to size and make a joint to connect it to the throttle body. Then mount on the truck for a test.

11 Likes

Your mixer is a fine piece of work Kyle. Something of actual value rather than some movie memorabilia piece of crap sitting in a junk yard.

5 Likes