Victoria's Corner

Hi Wood Gassers,

As most of you know I own Northern Self Reliance:

I make the Gas Stations, the Victorias, Isabellas, and Anastasias. Two weeks ago I took a job teaching at a university. Since then I have struggled to get my latest order out the door. My customer has been great and I have kept him informed the entire way through. I also tried to make up for my tardiness by including extra hardware. HOWEVER(!!!) this is completely unacceptable on my part. When I promise a delivery it needs to be met. That means there needs to be some changes.

From now on I am not going to accept orders or promise hardware until it is COMPLETE and on the shelf available for sale. You will be able to check my inventory by looking at the bottom of the “Get Hardware” pages like this one:

I am also going to train my welder to do the assembly work so I can fill his winter slow periods. Hopefully this strikes a decent balance between production and the craziness of my schedule.

Stephen

3 Likes

Hi Stephen,
I’ve only got three things to say, honest, professional and courteous. You can’t beat that.
Pepe

2 Likes

Hi Wood Gassers,

I have two Isabellas ready to ship if anyone would like a nice little beginner’s machine to power a 4-8hp engine on pellets.

They are $350 each plus shipping.

Stephen

1 Like

Hi Wood Gassers,

This is a little off topic but hopefully useful. Yesterday I taught at the Camden Maine Maker’s Fair. It was a great time. Instead of dragging Victoria down, I taught a class on control with Arduinos. Here are the slides if anyone is interested:

I used the automixer as my guinea pig example.

Stephen

3 Likes

Very cool my friend…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Welder question for Stephen Abaddessa

Hi Wood Gassers,

Yesterday I went to the Common Ground Fair and met a very interesting retailer:

http://www.bragdonfarm.com/about-us.html

I have been unsure about where to go next with gasification because the Victorias just boringly run. Sure, I could make them bigger, but that is not a huge technical challenge. Running 24 hours doesn’t interest me because the Gas Station will eat more fuel than I(and others) am willing to make if you try run it that way. Plus you really don’t need to. Six hours of battery charging is all I would ever do. I need something with more interest factor. I think it is time for the Ranger to run on hay hockey pucks.

The challenge will be to control the temperatures so the ash blows through and does not clinker. This is a fuel with a known high ash content and problems. That could be an interesting project, to have closed loop control with an Arduino so I stay below water gas shift temperatures and make just CO.

I just thought I would post the link in case any one else wants to try this fuel. It’s a major step forward to my end goal of ag residue powered farm equipment.

Stephen

Did you actually see and touch the haylog? Is it dense enough to cut hockey pucks out of it with a saw?

Hi Don,

Yes. It was like a wood pellet on steroids. They are made by packing hay into a cylinder so they can be cleaved easily with a hatchet to make logs into pucks.

The salesman had all the correct answers(to me). He understood liquification of lignin and proper pellet making temperatures so I am pretty optimistic about running them.

Stephen

Hey buddy,

When you say high ash content, how high? I think as long as you have gas flow and you keep the flow… flowing you may not need to worry about clinker… id break up one of those logs and see what it does in your victoria as is.

Hi Arvid,

No question I will give that a try. I will just have to either take off the nozzle caps or make up a new smooth wall hearth so the large fuel doesn’t hang up. The logs are about 2.5" in diameter.

Stephen

1 Like

Hi Stepen, I should know this but what fuel do you use in your Gas Station?

PTO chips or pellets.

I am of the impression that woods that burn to ash quickly don’t make enough char bed. You may get the pyrolisis gases bur not the CO.TomC

Could be…There is one way to find out!

1 Like

I run softwood chips… goes to dust like char fast… still works.

Hard to tell what size chips you have pictured, and how bout those sticks, twigs?
There are lots of different size pie plates???

Herb,

Check this out at about 2:00

It will give you a good idea of my fuel size.

Stephen

1 Like

HI Wood Gassers,

My turkey is in the oven so I have a moment to play. David Siedschlag, of Night Hawk Manufacturing sent me this nice box of ag residue pellets to try.

http://www.nighthawkmfg.com/TT-PMequip.html

It’s part of my eventual goal of running large farm equipment on just ag residue. These pellets are made of leaves, soybean straw, and corn stover. They are REALLY nice!

I am going to take these to school to show the faculty so I can get the full resources of the University of Maine’s engineering department behind the project. We may have a whole new generation of wood gassers coming shortly.

Stephen

7 Likes

What happened to David Siedschlag? We haven’t heard from him in over a year. Is he still working with wood gas and his truck?TomC