Volkswood 1971 bug-truck with Imbert gasifier

Looking forward to it running on some wood gas, no more going slow up your hills.
Bob

3 Likes

i typicaly only say “gas”= dino juice or “wood”= wood gas =)

3 Likes

I run mine on “petrol” and it seems to work real well :joy:

2 Likes

dose yours have a supercharger??

1 Like

i hope the weather hasent fouled up the gasifyer we seem to been getting weeks of rain at a time and gasifiers as we all know hate that =/ im not “expecting” a run until spring but who know if the weather would comply i might be able to get one in =)

2 Likes

it is very important to make sure the engine runs well b4 tring to feed it wood gas if it wont run on “gasoline” well it ont run on “wood” for …

4 Likes

I heard you say you hadent had it running yet, i was thinking you were driveing on wood gas. Good luck with your project.

1 Like

im curently jetting the carb i have to order new jets its a bitt lean right now i got a .3 on the o2 i want it to be around .7 =)

3 Likes

I wonder how far out of balance those motors would be with 10&1/2 too 1 compreasion piston change. Not that it needs it, my close salvage yard carrys lots of old vw parts it you need any, his # is 989/871/4000 and he ships some stuff i think.

1 Like

you dont have to change the pistons on a VW engine to change the compretion the deak height is ajustable and this sets compretion mine is set to 8:1

2 Likes

i need a smaller blower pulley so i made this slug and triple degassed it looks like its some good cast aluminium now to turn it into a blower pulley

5 Likes

one custome AMR 500 blower pulley this pulley will over drive the blower 2.66:1 ill let you know how much boost we get in the video to fallow im not looking for a hole lot 3-5 is my target =)

6 Likes

ok here we go i got it to exactly my goal 3-5 lbs of boost and i jetted up to 130 main jet and lowered the air correction to 70 once the electric choke comes off it runs UNBELIEVABLE and it sounds ANGRY!! but in a good way ill check the o2 sensor tomorrow and next we add the wood gas interface and re-tune the camera battery died at the end. i cant believe you can actually hear the supercharger ever so slightly in the background =)…this is on gasoline for clarification

7 Likes

That sound makes my right foot itch.

4 Likes

Nice work. Do I see a square keyway? How did you make that?

1 Like

i broched the key way in buy taking a hack saw apart and then reasembling it with the blade thro the hole and then slowly cut one side then the other and file out the remains =)

6 Likes

I think you must have a lathe, just because …
If you can lock the spindle. There is a way to mount a tool sideways in the tool post and use your lathe as a shaper by moving the saddle back and forth. Makes good keyways.
I like to use Tap-Magic as cutting fluid.
Rindert

3 Likes

Thanks Xole i dident know they they were design that way.my old 68 chevy cheville had 10 &1/2 too pistons or flat tops,327 motor, it would light up the tires good with the cam it had.

3 Likes

i dont use cutting fluid with aluminium it typicaly dosent need it B/C i go so slow but if im doing steel ill use old motor oil love that smell lol =)

3 Likes

Try a tiny little squirt of kerosene when working Aluminum.
It will reduce the amount of BUE on the cutting tool.

Any animal fat-mineral oil-soap and water will make a useable cutting fluid for Steel in a pinch

Very nicely done build chum!

4 Likes