Wayne's International 444 farm tractor project

My Grandpa used to wear long underwear haying in the summer heat. He always said “what keeps heat in - keeps it out”.

4 Likes

Hope you haven’t put your winter coat away Calvin :grinning:

2 Likes

You guys been getting nice summers than what you are used too hideing in,ENJOY.

1 Like

The only time it’s comfortable to do anything outside during daylight hours is 6 to 8 AM or 7 to 9 PM. The rest of the time, we give thanks for compressed refrigerant and blower motors. :smile:

2 Likes

Now is a good time to live in northern Minnesota

4 Likes

Hello Don
Wife’s grandfather said the same thing.

2 Likes

The low tomarrow morning is 50 &windy winter coats are still at the back door.
Calvin…

2 Likes

We have been getting as much done as we can of the morning and in the late afternoon when it is almost too hot to work ( heat index near 110 ) I will fire up the wood burner and burn wood until dark.

Amazing how much work with so little fuel . The tractor will work an hour on 10-15 pounds of wood.

Yesterday I used the V-10 a couple of hours and the tractor about 6 hours .

BBB

5 Likes

About the only time i go outdoors in january,is when working cutting a day or two of wood,while staying warm cutting wood, or this year warming up the wood gas truck too go gasifier tank shopping from craigs list or something not too burryed in snow.That is good milege for a working tracktor,Thanks for the building plans.

1 Like

That doesn’t account for the fact that the human body is still burning (literally) calories, especially while working and making heat inside the body.

1 Like

You may have said, but what happened to the Intenational tractor?

1 Like

Good morning JO,

I am using the 444 tractor daily with hay harvest however I did set the gasifier off just last week. It is bolted to the tractor with 6 bolts and easy to attach .

Right now the tractor main job is working in the hay and I am always in a big rush .

Also there is a carburetor issue I need to address. The carb is an updraft and has a very small venture about the size of your little finger . With just a little carbon build up here cause breathing problems and power loss. The carb has to be taken off and cleaned because I can not burn the intake out as I do on the fuel injected trucks.

I have some bigger carbs I plan on modifying to put on the tractor but just haven’t had the time yet .

8 Likes

Wayne, on my M’s that I had and maybe the 300U or maybe just the 300U the venturi is removable. It might be soft metal. So by removing that would open it up a lot. Course only woodgas then. Might have to make larger butterfly for it.

Keep warm.

1 Like

HI, maybe I’m thinking wrong, but couldn’t you bring the WG in above the carb, and use carb as air inlet? A small T with a shut off shouldn’t effect it running on gasoline.

1 Like

Wide open throttle???

1 Like

Hello Jeff.

Yes the venture is removable. Tiny little carb and seems like it would be too small for even gasoline?

Hello Al

When I gasified the tractor I gave bringing in the WG above the carb a lot of thought but the details got very tricky . On a tractor a manual throttle just doesn’t work out . It has to be throttled from a governor and hooking up the carb plus the WG butterfly gets complicated.

I have some big updraft carb I could use with some modification of the governor linkage but it may be a while before I get to it . Most of the work around the farm I need my tractor with the frontend loader and the rear hydraulics . When I use the IH it may be 5 min here and 10 min there not long enough to justify firing it up. It’s main job is in the hay field fluffing and raking hay . Most of the time while in the hay it is operated by someone other than me and I am not comfortable with it in knee deep bone dry hay
:confounded:.

8 Likes

I have had the same concern about doing a haying tractor seems too risky to me as well. I have been thinking an electric tractor and wood gas genorator back at the farm buildings. I am planning on making my farmall h electric for just that reason for the same small jobs. Right now I rake with a case ingersoll 448 which has a 10 hp Chinese diesel engine I swapped into it last year. That motor raked up 10000 square bales last year on 7 gallons of diesel so I don’t think that is Too bad. I have an NH rake with the dolly wheel so all you need is to have enough force to pull it.

4 Likes

Hi Mr Wayne,

I might have missed it, but cant seem to find in either this or the other thread what you use for a filter on this tractor. It seems small and compact.
Thank you!

1 Like

Good morning Kristijan ,

I used a well sealed military canister . I don’t know the original use

. I found them at a local flea market .

IMG_0201IMG_0202

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the pictures!
And you just put hay in? I imagine you rinse it more often thain the big ones?
Seems wery simple!

1 Like