Wayne's International 444 farm tractor project

I am building with a four cylinder engine also and I was wondering how many degrees advance did you give the 444, about the same as a v8?
How do you determine when it is about right?

1 Like

Good morning Don,

The dist rotation was about the same as the V-8 . I advanced it until the rpm at idle seem to peek. Before the day is out I will put a timing light on the tractor and get back with you on the timing setting .

BBB
Wayne

1 Like

Hey Don,

I hooked my timing light to the ole tractor and it read 17 degrees BTDC . This timing I assume was factory set and as it arrived here . I advanced the time until it seems to run good on wood gas and it reads 36 degrees BTDC.

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot Wayne for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer all these questions. I hope you realize how much time and mistakes you are saving everybody and how much it is appreciated. If you happen to look at the northern sky in the next couple of nights and see it lit up a little, it might just be me flaring for the first time with a big smile on my face. Hey Steve U, I do plan to get some shaft power too and not just a flare!

2 Likes

That’s great news Don!

1 Like

Good luck Don.

1 Like

Ha! Ha! DonM rainy day inside so I heard that.
DonM you a real DOer guy with three pages of photos up so you never going to hear a “use an engine” nudging from me.
And with your, “10 inch WK fire-tube intergrated in a reticular hearth/dropbox/heatX unit” unlikely even to get a “save the BTU’s” niggling from me either. Ask. And I am much more the true pest about that.
You are quite the tease though; Mr "I am building for a four cylinder unit also . . . "
Now I am seeing a Raymound Rissler type all-on-one boxed unit rear bumper mounted on four cylinder s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g.
No matter. You will show when you are ready your SomeThing.

Woodgas timing. Don any in cylinder air-fuel will need less and less ignition advance timing as the base compression ratio is increased. This is because the actual compressed turbulent stirred up and heated air/fuel mix burns at a faster rate therefore needing less ignition timing head-start.
Means one of the fellows woodgas igntion setting for an old 40’s-50’s flat head tractor is going to need a heck of a lot more timing increase than an overhead cammed late model four cylinder fellow.
I figure WayneK’s overhead valved 70’s tractor engine will be somewhere between these extremes.

What says RonL about this?

Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Sorry Steve, look at pic #4 of 36 on my photo page. I will give you the whole scoop when I get it running on wood mainly because mine is not totally like Wayne’s book says to do it and I don’t want to lead anyone down the wrong path:-)

1 Like

Hi Wayne, too much reading for me here … How about I send you a pair of rotors ??? You’d get it built in an afternoon … Been a long day … I’m pooped and still have to copy notes and process data … Did a flood survey today … The water would have to be 14 feet over the road bridge to reach his house. If this happened we’d all be praying for an ark … Mike

1 Like

Hey Mike ,

Thanks for the offer. My problem is just getting time to start the build.

Hope your trip over the weekend went well.

Hello Don,

I will be watching the northern sky and smiling with you .

BBB
Wayne .

1 Like

I could use some light at the end of the tunnel, or pipe. I’m coming at my cooling rack with a Miller Syncrowave Inverter TIG soon by invitation of my shops owner. I WILL WIN. Don, do you have snacks and mosquito repellent?

1 Like

It’s a gasifier! It’ll repel the skeeters all on it’s own. :slight_smile:

Bet that’ll come in handy on Wayne’s tractor when he’s in the fields with it. Probably won’t help with snakes though :frowning:

1 Like

Hey Wayne, I wish you could see Lake Michigan right now. The water was crystal clear and ice cold when we were there. I turned white dunking in it … We both got sunburned as heck but neither peeled so we must have needed it. If we do Argos again, maybe we can plan a day trip to the Indiana Dunes ??? There are even lizards there … We have a parade on Sunday but I hate tarring up my stuff doing parades … My flag is up on the maple tree
http://ftp.intergate.com/~mlarosa/images/woodgas/Wayne-Keith-Wisconsin-trip/having-a-smoke.jpg
My beard was black in this picture … was around 9/11/2007 … Better make tracks !!! I have to get some metal to put a shroud on my new gasifier … Mike

1 Like

Wayne,
I figured I’d better post these other links …
from our local paper
http://ftp.intergate.com/~mlarosa/images/woodgas/Wayne-Keith-Wisconsin-trip/091307chronicle.gif
and of course success
http://ftp.intergate.com/~mlarosa/images/woodgas/Wayne-Keith-Wisconsin-trip/gulf-to-great-lakes.jpg
For those who haven’t seen them …
I’m going to be history on the internet soon so save them locally if you want them. They keep moving my web stuff around from server to server … Mike

1 Like

Glad to hear you are close!

1 Like

Hi Steve and Wayne, On timing my tractor I just let the gaifier warm up and turned the distributor to where it sounded the strongest and best and set it there. I never put a timing light on it , it runs well and smooth enough, some day I should check it.
Ron L .

1 Like

My son cut son trash ( one mans trash is another mans treasure ) of some fence lines and I was wanting to test the gear ratios on the soon to be wood burning tractor .

All seems to work very well , tractor is just idling along enjoying the day and the chunker speed is as fast as I need it .

The gear ratio on the pto can be adjusted fairly easy . I can have several different size sprockets to bolt on the bottom sprocket if needed but for the work I plan for the tractor this ratio ( one pto rev to two motor revs ) seems just right .

The tractor running 100% wood didn’t even know it was pulling a load. I chunked some good size pieces although they were green .

A video below . Sorry Mike L. and Mr. Steve , video about ten min long but I know terry L will enjoy.

The tractor chunked much more fuel than it consumed !!!

2 Likes

Got the second video… Gotta like it Cuttin wood with wood to drive on wood!
The first video says private
Thanks for putting them up!
TerryL

1 Like

New gasifier thread for tractor.

1 Like

Wayne,
That tractor is a wood chunking beast.
I have a couple of questions. Did I notice a hole in the line for air and a valve near the tractor? Also, when you disconnected the gas hose from your truck, Is it important to seal the truck up right away as to not get oxygen creeping into the system while the hearth is still hot?

1 Like