Wayne's International 444 farm tractor project

Here is just a little short one mowing the yard .

I mowed about 4 hours today and think that is the first time I ever considered it fun .

Tractor gasifier shake down . , no gasoline , wood only - YouTube

BBB

4 Likes

Wow Wayne , any idea how much wood you used and what kind? I’m trying to get an idea how my consumption compares…
Thanks, David Baillir

1 Like

Great Job Wayne!! You’re on the list for sure.

1 Like

Just to mow my old horse pasture it cost me $20

1 Like

Thanks guys for the comments .

David ,

The tractor used about half the amount I thought it would use but too soon for any consumption numbers .

The wood I was using was all pine.

BBB

1 Like

Wayne, I have a feeling the grass will get mowed a little more often than it used to. Nice job (as usual).

Gary

1 Like

Thanks Gary.

Here is a video of the first few minutes after firing the gasifier and driving to the mail box. Poor quality video as usual and trying to learn to drive a new machine with one hand .

One steel pipe on the left side in my field of view exiting the vacuum blowers can be removed. I hardly ever flare so I shouldn’t need it . .

BBB

1 Like

How is the timing working out on this 4 cyl?

1 Like

The video says private still. Do you start on gasoline? I am interested too on the timing advance with the four cylinder. Glad to hear that fuel consumption looks low even if it is too early to tell for sure. You will not be able to measure miles per pound! Can you notice the difference in power on wood?

1 Like

The timing is working great . I will make a video showing the difference in performance .

1 Like

hey Wayne,

can you show yourself manipulating the timing

1 Like

That’s a heck of a drive to the mailbox Wayne. Sure glad I don’t have to plow that in the winter before work. Although if one has a gasifier on the tractor, it may be considered fun rather than work.

1 Like

Yes Arvid ,

I will make a video with the tractor running showing the difference ,

Here are some close up pictures of the mechanism.

http://driveonwood.com/comment/28044#comment-28044

1 Like

Great Job WayneK. Another Proof system that woodgas is Real, and Useable, Today. Just DO IT!
Video loading up fine for me.
Tractor sounds great once you get it gear leaded down.
What manner of wooden critters are those gatekeepers you’ve made up?
And how in the heck do you get those stand off curves in your steel fence posts?
Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Hello brother Steve .

Thanks for the comments .

The gatekeepers are 16 foot bears,

The fence post are 3 foot lengths of 1/2 inch re-bar driven in the ground a bout a foot with 1 1/2 thick wall plastic pipe pushed down over them . insulates the electric fence .

BBB

1 Like

I used the new gasified tractor and mowed about 20 acres today. It ran really well.

Here is a video clip . Sorry Steve U and Mike L it is 10 min long .

2 Likes

Hello Wayne
The video says private.

1 Like

I’ll bet that tractor never sounded that good on gasoline!
TerryL

1 Like

Wayne that looks like it’s running great. How’s the power vs gasoline? Can you even tell it’s woodgas?

1 Like

Hello David B.

Back to you on the wood consumption .

I filled the hopper with 100% pine and worked the tractor as hard as it could go for exactly two hours. This morning I refilled the hopper and it took 33 pounds . In this two hour time span the tractor was working solid and never was brought to and idle.

Consumption looks like it might be about 16-17 ponds per hour if worked hard .

Chris ,

Under heavy load I will experience the typical 30-40% power loss wood vs gasoline . Most of the time this is not an issue because the roughness of the terrain I am mowing will determine the speed I am going , not the load. Kinda like driving a wood truck on roads where the speed limit is 60 mph. Makes no difference if you are on gasoline or wood , you will still be trailing about the same speeds .

BBB

1 Like