Wayne's International 444 farm tractor project

“Consumption looks like it might be about 16-17 ponds per hour if worked hard .”
That looks like the equivalent of about 1 gallon of gasoline per hour. That sounds about right.
Before you refilled the hopper, how full was it - in other words how many lbs. will the hopper hold?

1 Like

That’s neat Wayne - this tractor usually burns about 3.4 gal/hr under full load. Idling at 2200 RPM is about 1.3 gal/hr. This seems like an awfully good pounds per gallon equivalent!

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2390&context=tractormuseumlit

EDIT: Don, you may be thinking of diesel tractors - gas burners are much thirstier.

1 Like

Hello Don.

With pine the 33 pounds is about the limit. I worked about 5 min too long trying to make the two hour mark . Hopper temps shot up , cooling rails temp increased , decreased power . The wood / char was at nozzle level .

One thing to keep in mind . If the tractor is used for some type of stationary use a hopper extension can be used .

1 Like

Wayne, Can’t look at it. Phone lines are wet today and I have a long list of honey do stuff along with trying to make a shroud for the new gasifier I just found my pneumatic shears but I fear I will have to use the sawsall and sheke the heck out of myself to cut the tank up … M

1 Like

Hey Mike ,

Here is another one you can’t watch but Terry L probably will . It is one lap around one of the patches mowing with the wood burner .

1 Like

Wayne, did you take lessons from Terry Grzyb? It looks like you popped a wheelie at 055 minutes. That tractor sounds really good brush hogging. Are you running at about 3/4 throttle?

1 Like

Wayne, Got new shroud cut today and have one of the support rings in place … I use copper tubing for that. I have to “work” tomorrow but I’d love to tell those folks to F off and get this project finished. I still have to make a cyclone but tell you ALL the truth that that grain vacuum I pulled out of a junk pile works better than anything I have ever used … I posted a pile of pictures of it back when … Don’t know how much longer my web stuff or myself will be around so use it up or save it … I plan to be OFF the net in the next year or two … I am so sick of trying to talk with people and have them tell me when their legs ring, “I have to take this one” … What a friggin insult !!! I have a zipper in my pants and can put it back in … Know what I mean Vern ??? Too bad Ernest is gone … Dem Dang Cigarettes …I’m glad your new machine is working … Maybe put the tin I suggested earlier under the cooler to keep the rain and sun off your head ?? Love, Mike

Good morning Don.

No wheelie but going up a steep bank.

Tractor throttle set at about half . Whenever in thick grass maybe 3/4 . ( grass is much harder to cut than weeds )

Mike,

I will be adding a top.

BBB

1 Like

I come to the house for dinner with wood left over .

BBB

2 Likes

Mr. Keith, Do you have any first impressions on the benefits of the New fire tube design. Thank you.

1 Like

Hello Mr. Giles .

The first impressions are good and if I were to start another gasifier today I would go with the latest ( experimental ) design. The truth is it has not past the time test yet .

I have been working the tractor hard and will be putting 6 more hours on it before the day is dark . If I were using gasoline I couldn’t speed up much more because my speed is limited to the roughness of the ground vs power available.

BBB

1 Like

Yes Sir, I should start welding in 2 weeks, thinking about just using a piece of angle iron for the rail to the inlet. I’m not near the welder you are, just worried about the air volume with the Angle iron compared to your square tube, just thinking out loud. Thanks again .

1 Like

Looks like that gas cooler could perform double duty as a wood drier if needed!

Mow, Baby, Mow!

1 Like

Hey Billy ,

It doesn’t get very hot up there but if the wood was in onion sacks and ride it around with you all day I’m sure it would dry some.

1 Like

Hello all,

I have been working the wood burner hard and long all week . ( kinda glad I don’t have lights on it )

I guess I have worked it 40 + hours. If that were a dakota averaging about 50 mph I would be down the road a couple thousand miles.

Yes Billy B.

MBM

Wayne: In terms of “work accomplished”, 50 mph seems sort of high for a comparison. I’d gather it would probably be closer to 25-30mph equivalent for a tractor moseying along with the brush hog. Do you think this is closer to the equivalent?

1 Like

For our equipment (forklifts) the manufacturer uses the 40 miles per hour equivalent

1 Like

Hello Brian .

You are perfectly correct . I think the work accomplished would be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Dakota…

When building a new truck I don’t like to say much about it until it has had a good shake down period and several loads of wood ran through it. Maybe after 3-4 thousand miles I will have a good idea if all is working properly.

On the little tractor it is hard for me to compare to miles but after I get near a hundred hours on it I should have gone through several loads of wood and enough cycles to get some feel if it will work out .

As to work accomplished I think my V-10 accomplish more work in 10 min than the tractor could in hour.

BBB

1 Like

Hello All ,

Short video knocking down some weeds today .

VID00004 - YouTube

1 Like

Nice bush hog Go Pro Wayne.

1 Like