Wayne's V-10 Ram

Hi Wayne
nice looking farm takes alot of work
do you think the v10 would pull a 8000lb camper at hy speeds 60-70
i pull it with 7.3 power stroke now it really sucks the fuel.

1 Like

Hello Jim,

The sizing of the gasifier, plumbing and cooling on my V-10 I don’t think I could maintain 60-70 mph pulling a camper.

I believe I could build a Gasifier system big enough and run the truck in lower gears keeping the rpms high enough to really put a high air flow trough a gasifier that might get the job done. The problem will be running the truck with no load at speeds below 60 mph.

The amount of fuel your 7.3 is using pulling the camper is some indication of the amount of BTUs that will have to be generated.

My above explanation of usable range reminds me of some of the machines out on the Salt Flat. They would easily run 300 mph but had to have someone push them up to around 60-70 mph before they would even start up. I wouldn’t want to send the wife to Wallmart in one!!

I guess what I am saying is wood gas will work good in many situation but not all. To keep all in perspective we are using wood for fuel.

I remember seeing an old photo of a truck and something was said about it being the work horse of the war years. It also said top speed was 15 mph.

( Wiki:
"The liberty truck was designed by the Motor Transport section of the Quartermaster Corps in cooperation with the members of the Society of Automotive Engineers. Production of the 3–5 ton truck began in 1917, and the first models appeared ten weeks after the design was standardized. Of the almost 9,500 produced by 15 manufacturers, more than 7,500 were sent overseas. The Liberty’s four-speed transmission coupled with its 52-hp engine gave the truck a top speed of about 15 miles per hour ‘’)

Sure hope I didn’t take the wind out of your sails.

2 Likes

Jim,

Since you have to leave the gasoline system in place anyway, use the woodgas for most of your driving and run gasoline when you take the rare trip with the camper. With good instrumentation it’s also possible to run hybrid, and improve your gas mileage drastically - just be careful not to run the gasifier dry, as the engine will merrily chug along on gasoline, while your gasifier melts behind you.

1 Like

I had a gentleman come by and spend most of the day with me. I took him for a ride in the V-10 as I was checking cattle and hay fields.

Way up north he had ran into a picture of a truck with a gasifier on it and wanted to show it to me.

Yes Mike LaRosa, you have shown up in Montana!!!

1 Like

Hi wayne & chris
you didnt tell me what i wanted to hear but you did tell me what i expected to hear.
havent made any moves in any direction yet still spectulating.
i really like the power of that ford powerstroke , it might be the only 01 on the road with only 90000 mi,
it would really be hard to part with.

1 Like

The last week I have been tied up in the hay fields trying to make hay while the weather is right.

I haven’t been on the road much but still averaging about 50 miles per day running here and there.

1st pic Good time to add to the hay filter because there is several ton available.

#2 Hay ready to be pushed down in the filter housing.

#3 Hay in filter.

#4 Hay in filter with screen.

#5 At the stream for water to wash the hay.

1 Like

I’ve been cutting hay for two days here in S.C. I have much more to go. Hope you are getting close to being finished Wayne K. Looks like we are going to have a good yield. It might be a hard winter. I Hav’nt gotton all of the things that I need to start my woodgas project yet, maybe soon I hope.

1 Like

Hello Sheldon,

Yes we are covered up with hay for the last cutting this year.

Two years ago I got six rolls of a spot of ground and this year the same spot had 47 rolls.

I worked the v-10 all day today. I took some wide mouth cows to the cattle auction this morning and then hauled hay the rest of the day in the rain.

1 Like

Good to hear that ya’ll had a good year like us. We have been blessed this summer with good rains. We have more grass right now then in a long time. I am ready to get back in the hay fields as soon as we have another window to do so. We still have a lot to get cut and bailed. Are you finished now with all your hay? How did your cows do at the sale? Good I hope. I hope the price stays up for our sake. (the farmer) that is.

1 Like

Good Morning Sheldon,

I cut hay all day yesterday and if the weather holds and no big break downs should finish up in about a week.
I don’t know how the cows did, I didn’t have time to go get the check but they should mail it today. Hope I didn’t lose too much.

You may have been one of the few that understood what I meant about wide mouth cows. ( old )

2 Likes

Yes Wayne we have some of those wide mouth cows here also. The problem is my wife can’t seem to sell any of her old girls. She has got way to fond of some of them. That’s not always a good thang on a cow calf operation. But she takes good care of all of them and they through us a good calf so far. I will start cutting tomorrow and cut for a few days and hope to get it all up. Do you over seed in the winter? I am planning to start work on a farm truck this winter. It is about a 1971 ford pump truck with a 536ci motor in it.I hope to wood gas it and make it a flat bed.

1 Like

I put about 75 miles on the ram today but worked it all day long and dark caught me with no lights on the trailer… I put 12-15 sack of wood through it. A lot of the driving was through hay fields, pasture and my dirt road. Hope to finish with hay by mid week.

Picture below are son loading hay and fueling the truck.

Sheldon,
I got my check yesterday for the three old cows and I think they did well, two fat ones brought over a thousand each and a skinny one not as much.

BBB

1 Like

That sounds like a good day at the sale Wayne. I cut hay most of the weekend. Hope to get it up this week.Nice and cool here this morning.

1 Like

I’m driving every day but it has been a while since I have posted a driving video.

We will be driving about 150 miles today.

Wishing all a good Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Good Thanksgiving to you too Wayne and thanks for taking us along on your joy ride!

Don M

1 Like

Hey there Wayne, I spent this early morning at sunrise checking out a billboard erection company 20 miles away for the elusive 12 inch tube. No luck.
I noticed that most of this last video had near idle operation, which is really encouraging. But, if you had the easy to ignite reuse char in the unit, it would make sense. What if you had the common ratio of minimum char at the throat and mostly uncharred wood for the rest, could you give the same video ride?

1 Like

Good Morning there Mr. Drost as in Frost,

The first video on this thread shows a 25 min idle. This was done with standard dry fuel and had no char recycled back through it. I brought the gasifier up to near normal operating temps before asking it to idle so long.

I think by recycling some of the char the truck will perform at near idle operation without bringing the operating temperature up first and still make very clean gas…

Hey Doug,
One of the reasons I had trouble pronouncing your name was I bought a DEUTZ log skidder and it took me a while to correctly pronounce it. When I did get it in my brain it got confused with Drost.

1 Like

Back at ya Wayne, I recently bought my Ma’s house which has 5 stall worth of garage. So my wife said I should start parking inside with my 30 year old car. I reminded her that I never parked inside in my life and can’t get used to it since I would later be flaring off before work. Until I figure out the homebound trip each day, I’ll at least be cutting my gasoline cost in half while I scheme.
I don’t blame you for messing up my name as I live in a Dutch settled area, and we can spot foreigners by whether they get the name right. You’ve been cleansed. Now to business. You’ve talked about performance differences between the V-10 and the Dakota. Horsepower to weight ratio is certainly a factor. But since you adjust the throat height and size, and you highway cruize the Dakota mainly, could you idle excessively with it as in the recent video?

1 Like

Morning Doug,

Yes the dakotas will set and idle as the v-10. The gasifier throat size in relation to the motor size is the same. Weight vs. motor size is close.
Moving around in the woods and farm at very slow speed going from steep down grades to steep upgrades the dakota can’t compete because of the very low range gearing on the v-10 four wheel drive.
The big difference between the dakotas and the ¾ ton Ram is frontal area. The wind drag on the ram may be twice that of the dakota. In the speed range of 70-90 mph the dakota will run off and leave the V-10.

1 Like

Hi Wayne

What is the approximate ratio of the weight of your vehicle to the cubic inches (or liters) of the engine? lbs/c.i

are we looking at somewhere around 12/1?

1 Like