Wayne's V-10 Ram

Thanks for the interesting ride Wayne.How long before the leaves all drop down there? With normal rainfall isn’t the grass still green this time of year? Gonna make it thru the winter on the hay you put up?

1 Like

Looks like there’s rarely any hybriding going on with that truck. You must look like a stranger at the Springville gas station.

1 Like

Good morning Don.

The leaves should be gone in mid Dec.

In a normal year I will usually start feeding late Nov. This year I have already been feeding about six weeks . I am feeding about 1,000 pounds a day , In a usually year in mid winter I feed about 6-7 hundred pounds a day

I think I will be OK , I try to keep about a year ahead on hay. Many of the cattle farmers around are selling out because of hay shortage .

Morning Doug.

A gallon of gasoline will go a long way when you are using none of it. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Good morning Wayne,Looking good idleing, excelent turn down ratio, and seenery.you alibama people will be half spoiled after the big drought, with limited humitety?

2 Likes

Thank Wayne for the Wonderful ride though the hills and trees. I know you are having one of the most dry seasons you had in a long time. Still praying for rain for you all down there. I couldn’t help to notice, that’s how the woods look every summer in our neck of the woods up here, dusky and dry. I live on the East side of the Cascade Mountains, and it seems all the rain gets dumped on @SteveUnruh ,and @mggibb side of the mountains. I hope you were able to grow enough hay for the winter months to come. Even the cows want it to rain, it will come soon.
Bob

2 Likes

Wayne,

Thanks again for the ride…so far the best 7 minutes and 20 seconds of my day and week! If a person can’t yet drive on wood, riding along on wood is the next best thing. Keeps it out in front as a worthy goal, at least for me.

You said at Argos you were a year ahead on hay during one of our conversations. I have thought about this many times since your drought situation seems to be persisting…all your hay and wood put away for future use for a “not so rainy day”. It must make you feel good to be way out ahead of things. Maybe cattle prices will go up and reward you for your tireless efforts.

I appreciate your persistance, hope and pray the water stays running in that creek of yours! Your cattle look very healthy in spite of the current conditions.

Bryan

5 Likes

Thanks for the nice comments Kevin.Bob and Bryan :blush:

It is often said. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst .

I also have enough wood chunked . bagged and stored to last me about a year or more :grin:

4 Likes

Work hard, save up, and you sleep easy at night

4 Likes

Wayne, we know you use wood every day and I was just wondering, what a year or more supply of wood looks like, how big of a pile and or bags stacked up would that be?
Do have a picture of your stash of wood?
Bob

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob.

The year supply was a WAG !! But here are a few pics of what I have on hand right now.

Below are a couple of pics of a pile 12 X 24 feet and about 7 foot tall stacked as steep as I can.

I have an old house trailer I have wood stored in . I know there are 200 sand bags with wood and I see many more different sacks.

I discovered a few bags hiding under hay rolls.

I got far enough ahead with wood chunking and have a lot of wood I have no plans for .

9 Likes

Wow, that will be many years of burning wood for me. Looking forward to getting my wood chunker going, might have found a engine for it, through Michael Gibb. It on his side of the Cascade Mountains. He said he will go take a look at it for me. Nice to have Great friends on the DOW site. Thanks for letting us see your inventory of wood.
Bob

3 Likes

Nice wood pile indeed, That saw mill and wood chunker was built too last, and i know it was not made in a forein country. Nice build Wayne Keith, and happy Thanksgiveing to you and your family.

3 Likes

Yall get in and we will take another little ride.

Hope everyone has a great and blessed Thanksgiving :blush:

8 Likes

Wayne,

This reminds me when I was about 4 years old. My grandfather used to leave the last cutting of hay in the field, bailed in little round bails. He would get out of the truck and throw the bails on with the truck moving in 1st gear granny low. My job was to scoot over and drive between the bails for him. I know I ran over a lot of bails until I fully understood my role, the truck and the entire process.

Life lessons lost to a modern society!

Thanks Wayne for sharing anther great video…Tally will realize someday how great he had it growning up on your farm if he hasn’t already…

Happy Thanksgiving

Bryan

1 Like

Thanks Wayne, I haven’t done that in years. Get out of the truck and let the auto pilot take over. Beautiful day you are having, and glad to hear some rain is coming soon to relieve the dry thirsty land and animals.
May you and your family and the DOW members and families have a Very Blessed Thanksgiving Day.
Bob

1 Like

Thanks Wayne,
That was a very nice video apart from the dry ground. I sure hope you will get rain soon.
I was afraid you were gonna RAM that tree :smile:

3 Likes

Wayne, Thanks for that video. I replayed the part (for the wife), where you mentioned having a seed spreader somewhere…under some junk. (Just like here.) We hauled a 1400 pound old momma cow to the Auction last week, and going down the driveway, she busted through a plank in the cattle trailer. Wife was opening the farm gate, and saw what happened and made lots of noise. We got a hunk of plywood and laid it on the trailer floor, and drove slowly to the Auction. (50 cents/lb minus auction commission and other miscellanous charges.) Sorry about your drought. Ours lasted five years or so, and there are dead trees everywhere. Plenty of dry stuff to turn into hardwood charcoal. This year, we got double the normal amount of rain, so the pastures recovered nicely.

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Lots to be thankful for. Your son is looking like Hoss on Bonanza more and more. If you had a Jeannie in a bottle to rub and make a wish for back when you were starting a family. That would be an excellent wish grant for help on the farm. I like your farming GPS system. You would need any software upgrades anytime soon.

3 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob. The prayers did the trick with our historic drought !! Thanks .

We may want to hold off a little on the prayers until after the weekend and I may want to call on you again.

The next rain I pray for I will remember to pray for tornado free rain :relaxed:

8 Likes

Glad to see you got rain hope it did not wash your seeds away and I bet them cows was glad to get the dust washed off them.

3 Likes