Wayne's V-10 Ram

WOW
When you get rain it doesn’t mess around
How many inches did you get that day?
I was worried that those fires were getting close too

We get many days of rain/showers near Seattle but seldom even 0.1" per day
Thanks for the video

3 Likes

Nice rain wayne hope it put out all the unwanted fires, and your hay can recoupe. I bet that hopper cooler is doing a grate job collecting rain from the intake air.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comment folks :relaxed:

Hello Michael.

I think we got 2-3 inches but it came all at once .

4 Likes

How did your Beavers make out during the drought?

3 Likes

Hey Don,

I was having a real good day until you mentions Beavers :confounded:

I haven’t seen any of those xxxxxxxx in about four months and real glad of it but I’m sure they will be back soon…:cry:

6 Likes

Funny how beavers means something different to different people. I was the oldest of 4 sons and had the privilege of helping my dad skin and stretch and tack beaver hides to drying frames. My dad would always try to guess the size and hope for the biggest, a “blanket”. I was old enough to know that meant more money. I was real glad to see my dad come home from camp with some beaver skins. People scratched their butts to make a living in the tip top town in the Adirondacks. So beavers put a smile on my face, but not for what you’re thinking :innocent:

3 Likes

So glad you got some “raynre” Wayne. Mud is ugly, but a part of it for most of us,

3 Likes

Hello all.

Nothing special just turned the camera on a couple min.

4 Likes

Hi wayne that truck really idles nice on only little over a mile drive. Are the rubber unions just plane drain plumming supply low temp stuff? Good mornning and evening.

1 Like

Hello Kevin and thanks for the comment.

The black couplers are regular plane Jane drain couplers .

The orange ones are silicone ( I think ) and will stand lots of heat. I found them at a local flea market :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks wayne Keith, i will know more what too look for in parts on my next gasifier build.That book" HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL" sure is keeping me focused on how too build and operate a gasifier system setup Nicely, And the computor trucks pre 1996 or about 1988 too 1995 seem too be the best in choice, or least emount of moifications. that V 10 dodge 1995 Sure worked out smooth with woodgas.Thanks

1 Like

Hello All .

It was too cold today to do any work except feed the cows so me and the boy went out for a ride for no reason at all. While out riding in the pasture we did re position a shooting house ( old car ) . . The ole wood burner couldn’t tell anything was chained to it :relaxed:

6 Likes

Hy Wayne nice vidio of the old v10 racking up a lot of farm feild miles, your WK gasifier seems too really idle good and low, did you make a tobogon out of the old mersadies yet. Probley some saleable parts on that car yet on ebay posibly.we are only 10 degrees colder here at 11pm.

1 Like

Good morning Kevin .

Thanks for the comment :relaxed:

The old Mercedes serves as a shooting blind for deer . On a cold and windy sunny day it is warm in the old car. The car is tight with no rust but I removed the motor , trans and drive train to power my saw mill about 12 yeas ago.

1 Like

Hi wayne k you dont need a 300 d starter or old automatic trans from a 300 d.if so mybe i can bring too argoes if you want them you can have them , just think it over and let me know. Swem

1 Like

As I went through this posting I saw reference to how the gasificer is sized to the load and if you work the v 10 too hard you can over heat the gasificer. But that it is sized to make the best avg between running the truck empty and loaded. Living in a very hilly area and well being known to use my truck to the fullest from time to time. I was wondering have you ever tried a system with two smaller gasificers? I was wondering if 2 smaller gasificers would work better. A setup where if you planned on working the truck hard you could start the second one. I also thought of this with respect to a genorator. It would allow you to shut down to refill without having to stop the generator.

Hello Mr. Dan.

Let me answer the simple question first .

No need to shut down the generator to refuel . You can keep the motor running as slow or as fast as you like .

I have never tried it but have given it a lot of thought and there will be a lot of devil in the details .

The state of the gasifier never stays the same pertaining to how dense or coarse the char and ash is in the burn tube and grate area . As the char and ash builds up and purge the amount of vacuum to pull a steady amount of gas from the gasifier will change. Sometime we may need 10 inches of vacuum to pull a given amount of gas from the gasifier and other times it may require 30 inches to pull the same volume of gas. In short if you pull two gasifers from one vacuum source one will over heat while the other goes cold . However you could put valves or a Y type butter fly so the operator could suck heavy on the lazy gasifier and less on the hot or coarse gasifier . This would take a lot of attention from the operator and would have to watch temps of each gasifier and keep them synchronized

One other issue of two small gasifiers vs one larger is with the expense of building the gasifier .The 55 gallon drums and seals work very well and are cheap. Even though a 9 inch fire tube is half the volume of a 12 inch tube one would come out cheaper to use a 55 gallon drum even if he could get by with a container a little smaller . In short two small gasifiers may take up twice the amount of bed space as one big one.

It has always worked for me to tune the gasifier to make clean gas with the vehicle working at minimum loads and let the high end work out where it falls, and if more power is needed add in a little gasoline. On the other side of the coin if a gasifier is tuned for heavy loads but run at minimum loads you will end up with tar and motor problems. ( a little gasoline is much cheaper than motors :relaxed:)

4 Likes

Hello Kevin .

Thanks very much for the offer but I have an extra 240D that I am keeping around just in case I need parts for my mill. It seems like the old 240D that is running the sawmill will out last me :confounded:

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne that makes since. I can see a couple of projects to add to my never ending project list. The more I read the more practical wood looks as a way to save some money on the farm.
I was also wondering some setups use chips and some chunks. Is the idea behind chunks to avoid bridging problems? I ask because I have a 3 point hitch chipper. I just haven’t seen anyone say why some setups use chips and some chunks.

1 Like

Hello Dan .

There is a certain relationship between the surface area of your wood, the physical area of the burn chamber and the volume of the air passing through it. The more surface area of the fuel the smaller the burn chamber should be. The bulky chips will cause bridging if gravity feeding because of the reduced size of the burn chamber, compared to more dense blocks fed into a much bigger chamber.

I have very little experience with chips except before I learned this relationship between surface area and burn chamber volume I dumped a 5 gallon bucket of chips in my gasifier and drove home from about 15 miles . The next morning I had a 460 ford with bent push rods :confounded:

I have seen the below Biomax 25 demonstrated several times . It is fed chips on demand and is an open top gasifier. It does use chips but has to be sized just right .

One note of interest , Talking with one of the operators ( Christian Brodbeck) he told me the machine could never produce enough power it it’s life time to pay for it’s self :cry:

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm10732315/

4 Likes