Wayne's V-10 Ram

Hello Jeff .

Thanks for the reply , I learn something every day :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

A lot of good minerals and vitimens in some of them thistle plants, i learned a new plant facts too.

4 Likes

Looks to me that Lisa is chopping weeds while your int he truck. :blush:

5 Likes

Hay Billy .

That and opening gates is about the only advantage I can think of for not teaching wife to DOW :grinning:

9 Likes

Now I never noticed a chapter in the book about those features!

7 Likes

I can think of one more advantage not teaching wife to DOW. With all the fun I would probably never be allowed behind the wheel again :smile:

9 Likes

Mr Wayne, do you ever have any problems with the bridges on the wood when you are idle for a long time?

2 Likes

Hello Jan .

I think having wood too big or long would cause bridging more than the idling.

4 Likes

Here is a short video of the truck working .

2 Likes

I don’t think the video works. But you can stand still with the cars idling without the wood hanging?
I ask because I am thinking of an aggregate for my forwarder, and it standing still quite long when loading and unloading.

2 Likes

I never have any trouble with bridging unless I have a real long unusual piece of wood in the hopper that gets hung just right. If I want to use a piece of wood like that to get rid of it or if I’m low of wood out away from home, I just stand it up in the firetube, and usually toward the edge, not the center. Not sure why exactlly, but I just feel better about having a bigger piece of wood close to the nozzles. No proof that it makes more tar in the center, just a feeling. If I do that, which I rarely do, I never have any bridging. My truck will idle for over 30 minutes at a time sometimes. But that is since I started using the most perfectly processed wood imaginable. I do have more constipation when it idles too much, especially if there is any sawdust in my hopper. . Have to watch that some on my truck. Jakob’s couldn’t get plugged up with 30% sawdust I think. But he can’t idle either. And I think he has never had any bridge of any kind.

wood from a chunker bridges a lot more easily in my experience. And if I use Wayn’es oak, it tightens my char bed faster than our maple from the cabinet shop

7 Likes

It seems I heard somewhere that some people use pot holes to solve the bridging problem. I tried it once or twice, but I’m afraid my setup would get upset if I did very much of that.

4 Likes

Hello Jan .

It has been a long time that I have had a bridge in the fuel hopper.

It seems that I remember being out on the big road on a long trip with the dakota and noticed a bridge by a rise in the hopper temp and had driven to short a distance to be low on wood . While driving I shut off the draft to the gasifier and drove on gasoline for a mile or so and it corrected it’s self. I think there were a hollow space just above the nozzles and the fire was being sucked down from the nozzles toward the grate . When I killed the draft to the gasifier the fire was able to burn above the nozzles allowing the fire to burn the bridge ( arch ) and causing it to fall . ( just my thoughts )

Never had any luck with bumps or pot holes .

6 Likes

I just cooked about 70 lbs of wood going down to Roanoke and back. I had to go get a pulse ox meter from a friend of mine in the rescue squad. No bridging problems. LOL:grin: But all the elecrical to my blowers and thermocouples etc died, and my tail lights apparently. Will have to figure it all out sometime before the next trip. It’s been a long time since I DOW without instrumentation.

7 Likes

Hi billy north just woundering if a 318 trans will bolt on the v10 motor 94 too 03. seems that motor is only about 90 pounds heavyer than the rt 360 motor.

2 Likes

Hello Kevin .

The V-10 motor as I understand it will interchange with the cummins diesel but don’t think it will with the 318 and 360 .

5 Likes

Thanks Wayne K, funny how many combinations of motors, use same tranny. Would you say v10 cab would fit on a half ton ram frame, is another ? i have , thanks.The v10 in a 4 door lite 1/2 ton ram would be an easyer adapt if cabs interchange between 1500 and 3500 rams.

2 Likes

Good morning Kevin .

I have a 94 half ton Ram and also a 3/4 ton Ram . I see no differences in the body and cab or should I say none that stands out to me .

One thing that surprised me when I built my first Ram is the back of the truck beds are narrow than the front . I discovered this the hard way of building a cooling rack that didn’t fit :frowning_face:

On another note I drove the V-10 yesterday near 35 miles pulling a large cattle trailer (with 5 head of cattle for half the trip ) . Don’t remember a single car having to pass me :grinning:

Back before 2004 my wife drove herself for all her grocery shopping and errands on gasoline . After that I talk her into letting me take her for all the errands on wood , I just now talked her into letting me take her to buy some grocery’s ( on wood ) so I am about to fire a wood burner and SWEM :grinning:

7 Likes

Hey Kevin. I think Wayne is right, but Steve U may be better to ask than myself. I fix them, but I actually am n ot very good at knowing what mixes and matches. Jakob would be better than miyself abou that with Dakotas, he just built a truck from 4 or 5 different year models / styles/////etc…

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne K i was thinking your v10 was 3500,since its a 2500, I usaully just tack things together while lineing stuff up, then again that could be easy too over look on the bed angle onn the rails. I got too see if they put the v10 in a 1500 ram probley not.? Happy DOWING.

1 Like