Wayne's V-10 Ram

Hey Mr Wayne
On that ignition distributor do this one the “easy” way. Pull the intake off. Intact AC compressor with lines can just be laid over onto the RH side. Be wide open for access then. Give a chance to really clean out the old carbon and crud from the intake and reseal it against further oil suck-in leakage.
Have the youngun’ do this with supervision; he’s limber’er. Be sure and mutter a lot, 'It’s all just nuts and bolts." “Tranny R&R will have three times the nuts and bolts and be 10X heavier!”
Then he will know what he’s looking forward to in the future heavy handing or heavy footing an old truck.

Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Thanks Steve,

The youngun and I will follow your advise.

BBB

1 Like

I have shown a few ways to start up but I don’t think I have shown starting up cold with no blowers?

This shows running on wood in about two and a half minutes from the lighting, cold morning start with no blowers.

: http://youtu.be/MsOHdtFwKhQ

2 Likes

Nice vidio Wayne.I had to do that a time or two last winter when my blower froze from having condensate in it.Works good in a pinch.

1 Like

Yes Mr. Jim,

If the gasifier was in the proper state when it was shut down or last used there should be no problem with pulling straight to the motor while lighting

1 Like

Very nice video!!!
I too use this method works very well. If one had no gasoline the blowers are a very nice feature for starting. Takes a little practice to get used to but also works well.
BBB

1 Like

THANK YOU Mr. Krith,
You just gave me California.

1 Like

Sunday chores, cows wouldn’t let me take the whole day off.

http://youtu.be/E4ML2EFC7Zo

1 Like

Love the comment “bales of hay must be getting heavier or i’m getting older”…

sounds like my old man whom i work with…‘that’s got heavier since i last used it or i’ve got older’…

if i’m far enough away i can normally get in a smart comment fairly safely…however i swear that his throwing accuracy and range with a rolled up welding glove or grease covered rag is improving with age

2 Likes

Good Morning Callum,

When I was a kid I remember helping my Granddad plow. He would plow a few minutes and stop. I ask was he having to let the mules rest ? He said no.

Fast forward about 60 years and I know exactly why he had to stop.

Those rolls weigh about 1000 pounds and just about all I can do to flip them out of the truck and rolling them out is even worse . You may have notice I gave out before I got the hay completely rolled out.

1 Like

Hello Don Mannes

You were asking Sean and I about the refueling while idling this morning so I shot this for ya.

http://youtu.be/yzM3RV8u6P4

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Wayne. Tally has got that double thump fist on that cover down pat just like the ole man. I understand the concept well now. Thanks again.
Don M

1 Like

In response to the YouTube channel I was ask if I had to take the gasifier apart to clean the ash.

My repley,
It’s easy and can be done as quickly as a few seconds or as long as a few minutes.
I feel sure he didn’t believe me so I made a little clip to post.

Less than 5 sec.

BBB

2 Likes

Cold and wet in Dixie,

I have put about fifty miles on the V-10 today, feeding cattle and taking the wife on some errands for groceries etc. If I am in no rush it is cheaper for me to take her in the wood burner vs. buying gasoline and her taking herself.

The last 5-6 miles and after we got out of town I let the son drive, he is doing well.

Below is a short video clip of starting up this morning. I had already put the torch to the gasifier and run the vacuum blowers about 30 seconds and reversed them for about the same time, then repeated those steps once more and got into the truck where the video starts.

Once there is gas in the gasifier and plumbing it starts very easy.

http://youtu.be/sQx9xQnvhG8

1 Like

I just sent Chris 23 videos clips to glue together and I think he will be posting them in the learn to drive section. It may take a while to get them up.

The V-10 was started from a cold morning start , lite up and fueled up . Loaded with hay and fed cattle here on the farm . Loaded again and drove through town to another pasture, fed cattle and on to the feed store and bought some feed and then home. About 35 mile trip and near an hour and half of running the truck.

I never touched a piece of wood , poker, torch or touched a control. The son handled everything form start up to shutdown. One thing worth noting is he has a driving permit but it will be another year before he is old enough for drivers license.

1 Like

Hey Wayne,

My dads been gone a long time now, but I’d consider letting you adopt me ( if there was a wood burning Dakota in it for me). Congratulations, and keep him close as long as ya can.
Your adopted son,
carson

1 Like

The family and I went out to eat tonight in the V-10. I took the below picture just as an officer walked out of the restaurant and to his car. I mention to the officer the reason I took the picture of his car with my truck in the background was that I have a lot of people asking the reaction of the police when they see my wood burning truck (gesturing at the truck as I spoke)
He gave a very polite little laugh, gave the truck no attention at all, looked at me as he was getting in his cruiser with a inquisitive look, like what the hell was I talking about.

He didn’t have a clue. He has seen this truck a hundred times and noticed it none.

One other note , 3-4 minutes before the picture was made the truck was going 70 mph ( interstate highway ) , it had been shut down less than a minute.

On the way home after we got out of town and traffic I let the Son drive.

1 Like

Hi Wayne
Thats how it is , just about anyone I talk to and mention driving a vehical on wood look at me like ONE FLEW OVER THE COOKOO"s NEST! And mumble!!! Nice to see the officer didnt have any concern and I know there was some hot wood burning after 70 MPH!!

1 Like

Neil,

I know what you mean. I am a High School Automotive Instructor, and this is my personal project, and I am working it into the “Alternative Fuel” section of my curriculum. Trying to expose my students to “Thinking Outside the Box”.

But when I tell anyone about this, Well,… I get the look, or the comments “Your Crazy !!!”. But still plugging away at it. Hope to have it up and running by the end of the school year, and maybe phase 2 also.

What I call Phase 2 is I am building a smaller version (1/2 the output) to power a generator to charge an electric vehicle, so no power from the grid is used, and that will make the vehicle a true “Green Machine”.

So, we all who believe in Wood Gas will have to stick together.

Ken Winiarski
Northern Maine

1 Like

Hi Ken
Nice idea on the charging battery system it will work! I have run a large genset on woodgas and you can make plunty of juice to charge batteries. I dont have any knowlege on small engine type setups but Im sure if the unit is sized right it should get the job done.

Keep squeezing those young Brains up there! those young minds are where many new ideas will come from as time goes by!

Heres a link to the old 20kw setup I have if you care to take a look? The Generator wasnt tied to the engine at the time but you can get the idea, the unit is in storage waiting for a WK build to run it. The old Larosafier finally gave up the ghost in to many places and had to fight tar all the time.

Take care
Neil
Tampa Florida

1 Like