Wood supply

I was trying to figure out why you are building a FEMA, Marko, when there are so many better and easier options and then I came across this. :grin: :innocent:

4 Likes

Hah! You got me there. My gasification hobby has started from outdoor hiking stoves, we made some stick stoves and watched some youtube-videos about those, and some how learned about syngas. Therefore FEMA… and I didn’t find this site before I had started to weld my FEMA into working order(if it ever will)

5 Likes

supply wood for firewood, of course you can’t do without fuel :grinning:

13 Likes

Huh? No diesel anymore? How did you shut off the engine at the end?

4 Likes

Maybe it is at such a miniscule amount it wouldn’t keep the engine going without woodgas.

10 Likes

Joep, Mr. Wayne said, when I asked him why his tractor does not work on wood, that the consumption is so small, or equal to almost nothing. Well, it’s similar here, the diesel gets almost nothing, but I still regret why I didn’t install a gasoline engine when I changed the engine, well, now I know why, I didn’t hang out with this group of nice people back then. :grinning:

12 Likes

Tone, I like it. Good turndown ratio on the gasifier - 5000 rpm Subaru vs Yanmar puttering.
Oh, and you make me full of envy - already into wood prep weather? Kristijan told me the other day he had the same terrible icy conditions as I do. He even mentioned 2 feet of snow. I get confused watching your video. Do you live a lot closer to the equator? :grin:

11 Likes

Your envy is the same as myne :smile: first l thod this is an older video. Althugh tone does live about 100km closer to the equator l think the reason is we on much higher elevation. One of the downsides of this is the snow…

10 Likes

JO, there was a little snow this year, well, it was cold this morning, but then it turned out to be a nice sunny day, perfect for some woodworking fun. I have to say that the management of this small engine is quite easy, I set the gas/air mixture ratio and throttle the oil, and it is fine, when I feel the power drop, I open the gasifier cover and cut a little inside with a stick, this should be done maybe once a hour. Let me say that after replacing the restrictor plate (pipe) with a larger one, the gasifier works better at lower loads and even at higher loads, in short, it has a larger working area.

14 Likes

For no good reason I started thinking about how much wood I have burned to heat my house. This is not including what I use to heat the greenhouse in the late winter. I have never used less than 8 cord. Sometimes 9 and two years of the polar vortex, probably 10. I’ll just stick with the 8 though. a cord is 8 foot long 4 foot wide and 4 foot high. I’ve been doing it for 24 years. That’s 8x8x24. equals a row of wood 4 foot wide and 1536 foot long. Or stacked 8 foot high that’s a chunk of mostly solid wood 4 foot wide and 768 foot long. All taken out of my woods and thanks to the Ash borer there is still more that I will never get to before it goes it goes punky. Then there’s what I chopped up for charcoal. Except for one mistake, I’ve never cut a live tree for fuel. Kind of blows my mind.

11 Likes

Tom, you have to thank God for the ash boaring cridders, no guilt of cutting down live trees. And you are helping the others trees around you. Good job and your reward was heat for the house and green house.
This is the way it should be for more poeple everywhere clean up the forest in this country and heat homes with it.
Bob

7 Likes

Does anyone know what to use to sharpen a coromant blade, I have a construction saw that is pretty bad, but it might be cheaper to buy a new blade

7 Likes

Jan, you make me wanna stay home from work and play with chunks, but I guess I will have to burn some instead.
About sharpening - this one may be an option

4 Likes

This is great! Branches Chunker - Wood Terminator - YouTube

8 Likes

Yes, that guy is good. Very impressive.

2 Likes

At least a bit on the way, now I have to get more from the forest.

15 Likes

Wow Jan, you are way ahead of me, I’ll probably start cutting and splitting in a week or two. It is really wet on top of the frozen ground here.

I will probably saw some live edge boards to use for extending the firewood storage from this, these are mostly dry standing sprucewood but it doesn’t matter so much on a shed

12 Likes

I am getting some chunks out of the weather and under cover for drying and about to chunk some more. :smiley:

12 Likes

I think you need to rechunk that piece of wood in front of the trailer. It will not fit in your gasifier.
Bob

14 Likes

Mr. Wayne, I admire your work and all those who do more in their mature years than most young people. Log saw, wood heating, wood gas driving, mowing and harvesting hay for your cattle, maintenance of all equipment and tools,… ,. :+1::clap:

12 Likes