Wood supply

We got a load before the crust melted!

11 Likes

The snow is knee deep.

12 Likes

I am down to about a wheel barrow’s worth a day. About another month before I don’t have to start a fire every morning. It’s like a vacation after 7 months. I’m glad I don’t live where it’s really cold. I think 5F was the coldest night this winter. A few single digit nights but mostly 10f and above.

12 Likes

Once you have a source of electricity, there is so much you can do with that. Like @JO_Olsson says, versatile. That said, there is also wood gas IC engine to hydraulic system like in a farm tractor, skipping the electric phase.

More Scandanavian wisdom! :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

Ya Mike, I wasn’t too coherent with my question. I see he already has all the technology for making an electric firewood processor. I didn’t see a conveyor, but that wouldn’t be really hard.

I would think an all electric processor would be three phase.
We may build a small DC processor with spare robot parts. 6" and smaller branches.
I absolutely would spend the money on panels to power it with electric.

We cut our truck load of wood with solar today. I suppose that’s why I am thinking about a processor.

10 Likes

It seems hard to brake even on the investment during its life span just yet. Also, my inverter isn’t up to it.
I’m slightly allergic to flat tires and dead batteries as is :smile:.

You’re welcome! :innocent:

I used that one today - pouring wood into the shed. Combining all the equipment to a processor would be possible, but doesn’t suit my spread out firewood logistics. Moving it around and storing it one piece would be more difficult.

8 Likes

Well that point will come, just like with PV ten years ago. On the other hand, if you dont have them you dont have to fix them :grinning:

3 Likes

Got Wood

15 Likes

OK Wayne-K about how long it take for that trailer load of wood to dry this time of year VS wintertime- I need too add a lean too off my shed to stack dry wood under. ware it gets the most sun light. And about how many loads like that you need per year ? Just curious.Nice work out, the sun finally come back out after about 2 weeks mostly rain chilly weather- my propane fuel tank is out in the sun today getting the paint backed on before i slide in down into its pocket.

3 Likes

Hell Kevin

I think after this wood has been run through the chunker ( the chunker will fracture the chunk and squeeze water out ) and spread thin under my shed I could drive with it in less than a week . The shed is open and has a breeze blowing through .

It is hard to say how much I use in a year but I think between 10 and 20 gallons a day on average.

Shown in the above picture I have about 180 gallons of wood that I will use before getting any off the trailers .

I also have a lot of wood stored away and haven’t used any in years.

9 Likes

Thanks Wayne i was not sure about wood dry that fast after the squese type chunking method, thanks much for verifying that fact.Happy spring times.

1 Like

@KristijanL , I consider you an expert in both fields. Can you determine wether the chunk grew or the beer shrank :smile:

13 Likes

Well if you fed your rebak that strong beer them it all makes perfect sence :smile:

How did it bite trugh that??? Thats like 4" plus

10 Likes

It depends. Is it the thirth chunk or the thirth beer?

Beer for real men btw😀

3 Likes

Well, the truth is I had a visitor a few weeks back who brought this chunk. He wanted to take a look at my woodburners. He bought a super rebak from Poland recently and sells firewood this size. Also, he quit his job a few years back and started a huge greenhouse and sells honesty box veggies in his barn as well. He was on social media a couple hours ago watering his plants naked. Good or bad for business - I don’t know :smile:

9 Likes

Don’t worry I have faith due to your competitiveness you can do better then him. After all I can only assume, Helen Sjöholm will happily volunteer to be your ad girl. sometime after she replies. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Took the oppertunity to free some space up on shelves and in drawers. The end result - a conveyor. Still some details to finish, like a funnel and a rubber flap for example.
Also, buds are finally bursting and the last patches of snow in the woods are melting. Spring is rather late this year, but with some heat coming, growth will probably explode shortly.

15 Likes

Really nice weather around here, so i started pick up some wood-chunk’s, they seem’s to be everywhere, some i dropped, some is from when i dismantled the gasifier, some from bags that ripped… really irritating to stumble upon.

Here some bags that broke when i covered them with a piece of plywood (with nails and screws in) :roll_eyes:

Up for drying in the sun, in new bags, a little like picki’n mushroom’s, only this is boring…

13 Likes

An old wood chucking video I ran up on this morning :blush:

10 Likes

I got a lot of thin wood-discs “cookies” from the last times chainsaw exhibitions, we use to cut those thin discs to make our show-wood last longer, and the result is perfect for me :smiley:
Today i felt for some no-brain relaxation work, just hand-splitting, filling some bags in the shade.

Best is to not relaxe to much, daydreaming…
but as long limbs are still attached, no problem.

Even found some woodcookies from last year…

Hand-crafted fuel. Must be eko-friendly approved? :wink: :smiley:

Edit: after this i started up my old chunker, tried to make a youtube of it, but it needs some service, put some tension on the belts, and fix the conveyor belt, it haven’t run in some 3 years.

17 Likes