Wood supply

Chainsaw, stops immediately I let off the gas, so no idle.
Air leak between carburettor and cylinder or diaphragm?

3 Likes

Isn’t it supposed to work like that? My electric does that. :rofl:

I would guess an air leak. I wouldn’t rule out the fuel line or a plugged idle jet.

3 Likes

I found the fault, air leak, there’s so much plastic in the way on new saws, I’m not used to it.

12 Likes

He was out of wood.

So we got him a quick load of slabs, to tide him over until I can bring logs up from the back.

15 Likes

At least a start.

18 Likes

Have been chunk’in some between the rain showers.

Sometimes i have to put the bags under roof fast when it starts raining :smiley:

Chunked some today.

Then the belt broke, a good flat belt splice will only withstand about 30% of total belt load.

To cut belts straight it’s best to put it on hard wood, and hold a knife in 90° then hit the knife with a hammer.

These joints are pretty easy to install, and gives a splice that is possibly to open.

They are sold in 12" strips.

This will do.

The “hinge” should be made with a piece of ox tendon, but i use stainless tig welding rod, because it can be re-used if i need to open the belt.

17 Likes

I feel a bit like JO, almost perfect size for the chunker, though I don’t think JO runs on pine.
Which of the pines would you save, the thick one with big twigs or the thinner one that is starting to lose the twig?

12 Likes

Jan, I would save the thinner one with dead twigs. It would probably produce better timber quality 100 years from now. When the time comes - tell me if I was right.

14 Likes

On the middle picture I would save the thinner one, the bigger one has a curve in it and that root log will potentially be scrapped (pulp wood/ firewood) when it is time to harvest, it does look however that the smaller one has a longer bend in it just to get away from his buddy next to him but it is hard to tell from a picture which one is better than the other.
Other than that I only go with which one looks more healthy and as JO said, less twigs - better timber but with a regular harvesting company you probably won’t get the extra money that a speciality log should give, it is most likely all going to the sawmill becoming boards and beams.

If they are seemingly equal (as the last pic) I would save the bigger one for sure as the smaller one have been suppressed by the bigger one all it’s life and could develop an imperfection if the bigger one is taken instead but there is no way of knowing that.

It all depends what you want out of the wood and with what eyes and mindset the owner or the one in charge of harvesting the logs have.
When I am in the forest I try to identify those values just to know that I made the right decision but I can’t really know how the one after me thinks when it is logging time.

The smaller one has a value for you right now being the right size to chunk right away and dow and that also counts.

12 Likes

A friend of mine is really on top of things when it comes to looking after his lots. He spends most of his time in the woods - thinning and such. For the past decades he’s been trying to get rid of birch and create a mono culture of either pine or spruce. Lately he has admitted he regrets it. It turns out birch is better payed nowdays. Also, it grows twice if not 3 times faster.
On the other hand he’s enjoyed premium firewood for his heat needs and also been selling a lot of firewood every year. Very hard to calculate which is worth more in the long run.

10 Likes

I agree, monocultures are pretty much never a good thing. I select and favour having as many species as possible in the forest as they reap benefits from each other. Ma’ nature is usually right plus the added benefit that it is easier to work with nature than to work against it. :smiley:

12 Likes

I asked my father-in-law too, he thought it was bigger too. We did this felling many years ago, and almost all the bigger trees have big branches and are ugly, I don’t remember if we saved small pines when cutting.

9 Likes

Nice weather and I felt like knocking down a few dead standing spruce to get a head start on next year’s firewood supply. Before snow I’ll bring in the heavy Fergie artillery to pull these trees full length down the hill.

Btw, I this how you meassure stump/trunk diameter over there? Almost two feet if I’m correct.

18 Likes

are those spruce trees killed by bark beetles?

they went rampant previous summer around here in LV.

9 Likes

Brobably - yes. There’s a clear cut area to the south and the beetles thribe in the sunshine/heat. Also, spruce generally like to be more in the shade. These spruces should have been knocked down and milled years ago when they were still alive and fresh. But time is limited -you just can’t be on top of everything.

14 Likes

little bastards.
it is common to see groups of dead standing trees next to clear cuts.
usually they seem to pick most valuable spruce trees.

12 Likes

Oh, Andris you’re from Latvia? I never realised. Almost neighbours :smile:

12 Likes

yes, from Latvia - i guess we have pretty similar types of forest and similar wood fuel respectively ))

this winter i plan to thin some 30 year old birches, most of them will go to pulp wood,
but i need to build a PTO driven rebak for top parts that are too thin for pulp.

12 Likes

Well thanks for clearing that up for me JO. I was thinking Andris was from Las Vegas. Not a heavily forested area. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Tom, I spent one night in Las Vegas as a backpacker back in 91 (mostly because of cheap hotels). As I remember it there were more neon signs than trees.

15 Likes