Wood supply

A post was split to a new topic: Jesse Hart’s gasifier

More sawing means more slabs to chunk . More chunks mean more miles smiling :blush:

10 Likes

Yep.Yep.
Even small system home electrical generating on woodgas does add up to quite an annual woodpile.

My new Yamaha EF2800i penciling out to 7 1/2 cords annually to have 500-2500 watts available hourly electrical for 16 hours a day 365. (old now - I do sleep more on the other 8)
Well the wood sweating-for-power’s is just another way to live long and healthy and wise!

Regards
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Very nice Wayne.
A bandsaw sawmill is what I really want up here.
Where did you get the plans? I’m a guy that needs something to go by. How long did it take you to build?

2 Likes

For your use I would suggest you look into a “swing blade” saw mill. It can be done quite simple ( I say quite) Look at JO Olson’s posts. He shows his in a very short video, but you will garner the simplicity. Then look at others on youtube TomC

2 Likes

I would absolutely love a swing blade sawmill. The problem is, they cost money, lots of it. There are a lot of people up here with sawmills, 3 within 10 miles from me. None of them are busy and they still charge a premium for their lumber. Don M pointed a video from YouTube my direction last night with a chainsaw sawmill. Ran with a 10hp engine. It looks simple enough to make, it will just take time.

1 Like

Hello Mr. Bill,

Thanks for the nice comments .

There were no plans , I gathered up what I had handy and laying around . The only thing I bought to build it was a few small sprockets and roller chain .

I don’t really remember but I think about a week . I originally built it to be mobile. It has a trailer hitch , jacks and axle that I can bolt on . I had an old tractor that powered and furnished the hydraulics until the tractor went down about ten years back .

My intentions at the time were to take it to some wooded land I have about 10 miles from home and set it up there sawing. I was going to give it a test run where it is setting now ( 18 years later ) but have never moved it.

There are a few benefits of having a little mill and sawing . You will have enough waste wood to heat a house , enough scrap to drive a few wood burners . Also one might pick up a little change when sawing . In the three min video above I sawed 40 board foot of wood . At 25 cents per board foot sawing fee is 10 bucks :relaxed:

6 Likes

Wayne, have a good day. Found this guy and his contraption machine saw mill; it´s awsome and a proof of tenacity and will. I liked it and thats why I share it. Looks easy to build.

3 Likes

Hello Abner.

Thanks for sharing the video . Enjoyed it !

2 Likes

Great, but I think I like the Russian homemade sawmill better!

1 Like

Yeah Pepe, that´s a good one. Here it is…

1 Like

My conclusion to sawing lumber with a chainsaw is illustrated in these videos. The sawdust pile grows faster than the lumrer pile.

5 Likes

What sawmill…?

7 Likes

I went through all this yrs. ago , then I built a band mill , after that I bought a Harbor freight band mill for $1500.00. By the time you buy a chainsaw big enough to really do some sawing, and built an apparatus to make it saw you will save money, and time, and make better lumber with a cheap bandmill. Al

4 Likes

Did some milling the other day.
Not very fancy equipment. But on the other hand it paid for itself after only a couple of logs several years ago.

Freshly cut 1"6 boards

1500 boardfeet drying after a day of milling. Plus a future bench.

11 Likes

Just in time. I was just going to bug you for an up date on your gasifier; but a video of you logging operations is just as good for now. I just love that swing blade saw mill. The simplicity of it, and it will cut circles around those homemade fans saws. That is the second video of your mill I have seen. Wood like to see a little longer where you are setting up and maybe making a change in the board size. Just to see how that all goes. You run on different voltage in Europe than what we do, so what voltage is it and do you know how many hp your motor wood be in our antiquated system.

I didn’t get a good look at your tractor but it looked a lot like a Ford or Fergureson 8 or 9 N but it had a little more bark to the engine. Are you cutting lumber for a customer or yourself? Is the wifey looking for a new house? Remember to tell her that it will take about 4 years for the wood to air dry. In that time you can work on your gasifier. Once you start building a house, everything else goes on the back burner. I let my wood dry for almost 5 years and I guess we have been in it 15 years now and I don’t have one crack in the walls. Can’t say that for some houses that contractors have build with commercial lumber.

I noticed you mention how many “board feet” you had cut of 1x6 in. boards. Did you do that for our benefit of do you measure lumber in the same way we do. I know a 2 x 4 in Spanish is dose by quatroes. TomC
Don’t for get updates on you gasifier. Hint hint. Hint heck!!! I’m saying it.( smiley face if I knew how to do that stuff)

5 Likes

Hi Tom,

The mill was just set up for the day. I take it apart and store it away or it will rot :smile: Dońt get fouled by the short sleaves. We are now back to rain and just above freezing.
If you go back to post 302 and 317 from last year, that might answer some of your questions. I will try remember make a setup video later.

We run 400/230 V at 50 Hz. My motor is rated 7.5 hp and close to 3000 rpm. Your 60 Hz would give 9 hp and 3600 rpm at the same voltage.

Yes, its a 1947 Fergie TEA20, the english version engine. 20 hp something. I think the bark to the engine is mostly leaky exhaust :smile:

No, no new house plans, but cutting only for myself this time. But I do have to start building someting again cause all the stored away lumber is starting to take up most of the space in my shop.

No, board feet was to your benefit, we use board meters. However, inch dimentions, like 2"4 are still used by old timers, farmers and mill operators. Store bought lumber is measured in mm. A planed 2"4 is 45 X 95 mm.

About the gasifier, my condesation tank and cooler are finished. A bit of work on the truck left to get it (gasoline-) street legal for inspection, before I install my (not legal) equipment. Pics soon.

Off to work. Hurry, hurry :smile:

4 Likes

Love the tractor. It’s incredible how far reaching that model was…

3 Likes

Dang cold wind and rain. Feels like fall over yonder here… :weary:

Fell right into Dad’s wood pile…

:grin:

4 Likes

Light dusting of snow here this morning. was only stuck on the cars though.

1 Like