Wood supply

I like the way you think Jeff. I’ve got or can get a lot of good stuff like that. Need any hydraulic cylinders?

3 Likes

Hi Andy, I was just thinking about making a small wood chomper but more like this one.

So, yes cylinders are on the list.

3 Likes

Hi jeff
The size of your timber harvesting equipment really contrast with your equipment wood processing!
Why?
:grin:

3 Likes

Hi Thierry, I guess I don’t understand the question. The sawmill will cut from a 6’ to 20’ and from 6" diameter to maybe 30". The Chomper will take any length to up to 14" diameter. The skid steer will twitch a good size saw log. One in the video was 18’ and not sure of the diameter, maybe 26" diameter. That about as large of a log I want to saw on a manual mill. The tiny skidded is for mainly pole wood for the Chomper and a few small saw logs. I want to grow fast growing pole wood and the tiny skidder would work nice with a smaller version of the Chomper. Of course the small chopper would have a charcoal fueled clone. Vary little or no chain saw needed. If the pooh hits the fan I can not keep the big stuff going but the small stuff will pull me through the hard times. Found the time to change the engine canola oil in the little skidded.

3 Likes

Hi Jeff

Very nice forest site Jeff
I noticed that your firewood processor is professional quality (certainly very productive). The small skid steer is handcrafted (I like simple solutions).

Thierry

3 Likes

Jeff

you use canola oil for the engine?

1 Like

Going on the third year, I think. Don’t use it below 30°F. Would like to find a local oil plant or grow something. Should use a blend but haven’t found the time. I would not try it in an expensive engine. Clones were made for experimentation. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Got wood !!

Hey Jeff , I am ready to have a pulling contest with you now :joy:

10 Likes

Wow, that is a big toothpick!

4 Likes

Your on Mr. Wayne… :smiling_imp:

You sure have a nice office to work from!! Little slice of heaven.

4 Likes

Reminds me when they pull one of those boa snakes out from under a house, it just keeps coming!!!

3 Likes

That log puller should shake off most the snakes.on some big logs.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff

Farmers here grow much canola “transgenic” .this cultural cause me some problems professionnels. I am beekeeper and bee not endure this type of agriculture industriel. I dislikes encourage this production (except to replace the dyno juice)
Do you have a recipe suggest?

Thierry

2 Likes

Hi Thierry,

It’s been a few years since I read this stuff so I forget the details…

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-029.html

https://www.google.com/patents/US5888947

http://www.google.com/patents/US6531430

3 Likes

very interesting Jeff, thank you very much

Specifically, do you use 100% of food canola oil to make engine oil?
Or mix differing oil you together?

Thierry

3 Likes

Hi Thierry,

Right out of the jug and into the engine, 100%. I wish I had the time to make a mix and grow or glean my own seeds. I bet even more could be figured out.

Also, I want to make some kind of oil filter. Possibly an oil cooler. Maybe a transmission oil cooler and maybe some kind of a pump to run off the engine. Maybe a Detroit fuel pump… An oil cooled engine would be cool. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

You are definitely someone very surprising.
Squeeze your oil yourself?
Have you tried the vegetable oil for chainsaw? This is a problem I would solve .Use of mineral oil to lubricate the saw chain is very rawhide: :confused:

2 Likes

For two or three years. Switch to synopsis before it gets too cold. Have not squeezed my own oil yet. Need to get one of those expelled made from a wood drill bit. :grinning:

2 Likes

Early morning amusement

Drying by noon

7 Likes

Really? Drying in one day??? Are those little trees that you cut to chunk— which would mean the wood is “green”. I use dead fallen limbs for my wood and still dry it for a few days. TomC

1 Like