Wood supply

Thank you Mr. Wayne. I guess I just have to start cutting and be very careful about feeling the pinch coming on. The trunk is over 2 feet in diameter and it is broken off about 15 feet up and the top is leaning on the ground. Is it pushing on the trunk or pulling?? I have two saws incase. Thanks for the suggestions TomC

2 Likes

The rootball has a LOT of weight in it and it’s only the long leveraged weight of the tree holding it over.

A “trebuchet” is a more accurate description of the siege engine the tree is mimicking. :wink: The roots are the “heavy counterweight”; the hole in the ground that the roots yanked out with it is the “pivot point”/fulcrum (top of the “Frame”, but not actually mentioned), and the shortened tree trunk is the “beam”.

6 Likes

We had a lot of those “porobi” literaly translated as " the one that fights back" or “the confrontor” about 4 years ago when we had snow in bagining of october. Took us 2 years of hard work to clean the forests. Over 100 oaks fallen on a wery steap hill. Not nice. Wery dangerous job.

Last year this “porob” decapitated a man liveing a few km from us. It had so much tension that when he tryed to cut it it split, one part hit him in the head and you get the idea.

The way l get the most dangerus fallen trees from the root? Only with explosives. Drill a hole near the roots and set a charge from a distanca. to many acidens happen to often to take risk with a chainsaw.

3 Likes

I usually follow two rules: Always bring two chainsaws and look for emergency exits for yourself before cutting.

10 Likes

I only worked one winter in the woods clearing a field. I was always happy to be the guy that did the de-limbing, after the other guy cut them down. TomC

3 Likes

it is broken off about 15 feet up and the top is leaning on the ground

Hello Tom
I hesitate to advise someone on doing something that I haven seen first hand but it sounds like you could fall it to one side or the other. It would be very dangerous to try to fall it towards the top, it could finish breaking off and the top falling back at you or if you fall it away from the top it will drag the top towards you. Hope this might help.

3 Likes

TomC,

First tree I ever cut down split 20 feet up in the air. What a site that was and what a surprise! I was 20 and had told the farmer I knew how to cut trees. Hah, youth, inexperience, empty pockets and very little guidence can yield one close to disaster! I had run a chainsaw to cut small trees for firewood many times before, but had never cut down a big tree. I did finally get it to the ground, but looking back, hard to believe I didn’t kill myself right there on the spot. The farmer was very disappointed, no suprise there…

Finally found a friend who taught me how to hinge trees over which got me started in the right direction. The deal was all the firewood I could cut out of the tops…my first big money making attempt, lots of honest hard work … after all it was the 1980’s!

The farmer was building a sorting pen for his cattle and hauled all the logs down to the local sawmill to have them sawn into 6 x 8 ties and 2 X 6 fencing lumber. I helped the Sawmiller saw up all the logs…that set the stage and my first career started from there, but it almost ended with the very first tree!

Be careful with that tree TomC!

Bryan

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips guys. My second thought caught up with my first thought, and am now thinking about talking a friend, who logs a lot, to come by. Just to get it on the ground. Thanks again. TomC

4 Likes

The son and I are trying to get a few trees out of the creek.

One of the trees have been under water for most of the year .

7 Likes

Nothin like havin the right tool for the job!!

6 Likes

Yes Brian . You are correct. I was thinking trebuchet all the time but didn’t know how to spell it until you posted :relaxed:

4 Likes

Tall, straight, men, and trees. That is rare in some parts. Good work boys!

3 Likes

Wayne, are you sawing those underwater logs or they get burned?
A friend of mine used to fetch 50+ year old “sinkers” from the river bottom. He sawed them and they made wonderful colored boards. They were so denst it was impossible to hammer a nail into them without predrilling. Also made excellent weather resistant material.

4 Likes

Hello JO .

I will saw everything that is fit to saw . :blush:

4 Likes

Trying to keep up feeding the beast. Third batch this week. Sunny weather is rare.

Aming for fuelsize between egg and tennisball. My old fuel is a bit smaller so I mix them the best I can when baging up.

Fun Fun Fun.

8 Likes

Yesterday in the parking lot of a grocery store while waiting for my wife a car pulled in the parking space right beside me . As a lady got out of her vehicle she asked what was the apparatus on my truck. I told her it was a gasifier . The truck is powered with wood.

A very heavy frown came on her face as she said," you have to cut wood , right! ". :confounded: and turned walking away as I simply smiled :relaxed: and said yes .

15 Likes

Its sad some people dont see much further thain their nose…

5 Likes

Looks like good drying weather in the picture. TomC

2 Likes

I wonder if she Ass/U/Me’d that you had to cut down living trees for the purpose of driving, as opposed to using sawmill scraps from trees already fallen?

2 Likes

Your WOOD looks very GOOD, J O. The Rabbit should be pleased. Happy motoring.

3 Likes