Wood supply

Thank you! The Rabbit is very pleased. It finds roundies deliscious. No bridging what so ever.

Yes, very good drying weather yeaterday, but this last batch now sits under the carport while raining. Wifes car gets a free shower.

2 Likes

thats about the same size my truck likes

3 Likes

The wood is drying fast :relaxed:

3 Likes

Looking good Wayne, where are you getting most of your (free ?) bags. And with your warmer climate, which months are not ever good for harvesting?

1 Like

After a few days of working as hard as I ever do now days I have my wood to the point I love. WATCHING IT DRY. ( Pull up a chair and a pepsie and help me out Mr. Wayne. We can work on yours at the same time) TomC

7 Likes

I was feeling kind of good until I saw your bags. When I am ready to bag though I have broken in a good bag- holder like yours, so it will go better than usual.TomC

3 Likes

Hello Doug .

I got most of the fertilize bags at a local farm supply , also my son has been working at a near by farm where horses are boarded and he brings in many empty horse feed bags .

Last year I ran out of bags and was forced to buy two hundred sand bags . I have these and many more stored away in an old 12 x 60 house trailer I use for storage . :relaxed:

I will chunk ,dry and bag any time of the year. The amount of saw milling I do will dictate the wood prep months .

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea Mr. Tom . I don’t drink sodas but a cold glass of buttermilk would be hard to beat :blush:

2 Likes

I was getting ahead on some wood if that’s possible when I got into some feed bags that must of had some leftovers the mice had made swiss cheese out of the bags :angry: I saved a few but I will half to start keeping them in a drum.

2 Likes

Hey Paul. I had mouse problems with firewood exposed outside or inside of a tarp covered storage. Since their nose is sensitive, I found a relatively cheap deterrent that I apply with a fuel can or dollar store spray bottles. Diesel. The smell lingers for a long time, even on the outside drying. I only dose the bottom half foot of the split firewood.

2 Likes

I might through some in the can with the bags there sneaky buggers .

2 Likes

Good morning all.

The wood is drying and accumulating fast.

I have been doing a lot of driving and many miles unnecessary . Many times going out on a joy ride with a 9,000 pound vehicle but the wood pile keeps getting bigger .

13 Likes

I hope this post was not to garner any sympathy for you, because I don’t think it will work. Got all of mine dried and bagged and I don’t think there is more than enough for a trip to Argos next year and I have some driving to do around here now. I keep looking for something more to cut down. Honestly I am so envious of all your wood. TomC

3 Likes

Honestly Tom, there has to be some bush hogging to do around your fields. You don’t live on the moon, do you?
When i cut something down, it grows back up faster than I can manage to handle.

3 Likes

30 years ago or so, I came in here and brush hogged, and rototilled, and leveled and compacted and seeded. Now my wife insist I mow it every 4 or 5 days and seeing riding a lawn mow is something I can do real well, I oblige. As you can see; not mush to brush hog The back forty, is woods but it is woods because it is so hilly, I can’t really get around with a vehicle so the limbs have to be dragged out to the edge to be chunked. If would be nice to fall a tree and pull up beside it and chunk it. Also most of those tree are 80 or 90 feet tall and the trunk is 20 inch. I have cleaned some out this summer-- but not enough to keep up.

12 Likes

TomC,

Now that is one beautiful farm, and one with wood power an already proven and useful commodity! Hat’s off to you TomC. My idea of true happiness and success!

Bryan

4 Likes

A butiful oasis you live in Tom!

5 Likes

Thank you for the beautiful photos of a beautiful farm.
Beautiful but not much fuel around. I understand now that’s one of the reasons you are opting for a smaller vehicle.

4 Likes

JO jour post about not much fuel around Toms farm reminded me of something…
Does anyone grow Pawlownia trees? They are becomeing popular here.
A few characteristics:
Fast growing
Medium wood density
Low silica content
When cut down, it grows right back from the stump.

I think this wuld make a great gasifier food plant!
My mother bought some seeds 3 years from now. The trees are now 4m (13’) tall, althugh the tops freeze every year (we live in a bit colder region, just about 100km south they have no problems). After 5-7 years they are suposed to have ~1m3 of wood. They just look prety here but for a warmer country this migt be a good thinh to grow.
Allso the wood has a high price

3 Likes

I think I remember Wayne experimenting with some, but I don’t know the results.

2 Likes