Wood supply

Yes you are right Mr. Jim

I ran some through the gasifier spring of 2012 .

seem to run OK and very easy to chunk :relaxed:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good tree farming plan, i am going too google that tree for some info.Ps. them trees are for more warm climate than michigan.

2 Likes

There are two sorts, the ornamental, brunchy and long, candle like trees. Took for those.

2 Likes

Great pictures, Tom.

5 Likes

Wow! The hot muggy weather broke today, so I hopped on the Farmall with the chunkier on behind and a trailer behind that and went to the woods to find some downed trees that I could saw some limbs off to chunk. With this caravan I could not drive down into the woods, just around the outside. Nothing within reach. Then as I looked around a reality hit me. I have sooo much wood out there in big trees for saw logs and fire wood, I will never make a dent int it. As I drove I was on what use to be a trail through the woods 30 years ago when I moved here. That was mostly grown up so it was hard to recognize. I noticed a good supply of trees in this area that were about 4" on the stump. I decided with everything growing like it is I could sacrifice some of these little trees. I cut a few down and topped the leave end off and had nice 15-20 ft poles that went from 4’ to 1". The 4’ just barely fit in the chunkier but I was able to get enough wood in a couple of hours to run the truck for a couple of hours. The sun is dropping in the sky and I am not use to drying “green” wood. I hope I have enough sunlight left. TomC

9 Likes

Noticed some logging trucks coming out of the woods on a newly built road a few of miles from where we live. I found out quickly it was no road meant for a two wheel drive Dakota but continued on thinking they must be just around the next bend. 3-4 miles later and bouncing my head off the roof of the truck at 10 mph, I found them.
By the time I was done with my visit, he offered to set 3 cord of Birch aside for me to pick up after 6PM last night for $40/cord.
I lost 2 weeks of summer to visit my son in Texas and almost 4 weeks building the cabin, so this saved a lot of time.

11 Likes

Is that your trailer and truck? Does he load it for that price?

3 Likes

Yes, he did load it for that price.
I bought this truck this summer. The trailer used to be mine when I had my company. I stored it here for the summer. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A bargain with minimal work. Win, win for you. Good find.

3 Likes

With the logging around here, that is how many people buy there wood for outdoor furnaces.I don’t want to start any roomers, BUT; I think they will deliver a truck load ( 15 to 18 cords ) for no hauling fee. I think they come out of the woods and don’t got past the “scaler”. Just a roomer though. TomC

4 Likes

I met a guy near me that has ‘junk’. A lot of rusty gold. I shop at his place frequently. He also has a firewood processor…bonus. So I brought all the logs I picked up to his house. I got half of it done today and filled up my 6x14 dump trailer.

5 Likes

I like the way you make firewood Bill, Short and sweet. Great price too. Sure wish I could get by with 3 cords. When it cools off I’ll get back to splitting. I still have a few years worth split and dried ready to go so no rush here.

2 Likes

I actually like cutting and splitting wood by hand…but I put myself in a time crunch this year. I know this won’t be dry when I need to use it but it’ll be dryer than the stuff I used last winter. I will be cutting down more trees this winter for next year and try and get ahead. It gives me something to do outside when it’s cold.

2 Likes

Put some out on sunny days, It is still summer until September 20 or so, even north of Lake Superior! :beach_umbrella:

2 Likes

I was thinking about that too. I seen Wayne and others dry their wood in a matter of weeks. So maybe I cover up with a tarp when it rains and at night

2 Likes

I have some chunked up in a trailer that I roll in and out depending on the sun. It is not drying nearly as fast as the stuff I posted a month ago. The smaller you spilt it the faster it may dry.TomC

6 Likes

Firewood accumulates

By-product

10 Likes

Looks like you fixed your rebac :+1:

1 Like

Ha! Yeah, but now it’s broken again :disappointed: I will have to do some changes to it. Bicycle chains hold up only for so long.

4 Likes

Looks like you have made it easily Jan-Ola ! That makes it all the easier to drive on.

3 Likes