Wood supply

Good reply, as usual!

Agree 100%. I am perfectly pleased with my hardwood egsize chunk gasifier performance, but its my curious nature to test everything, see, feel, smell for my self.
Ha, l dont eaven have enough spruce for my planks and other building wood, but about 10 lifeworths of beech and oak so no, l will definitly not burn spruce :slight_smile:
Exept limbs! Those are kickass fuel!

4 Likes

hauling wood last winter out of the forest when it was wet or snow/icy wasn’t working that well as I’d bog down or just plan spin out even with chains on all four tires on the quad. So I decided that I needed a set of tracks for the atv… but they wanted about 4x what the quad is worth! so in usual woodgasser fashion I made a set. I’m going to see how this works and maybe add the same idea of track to wrap the front tires as well.

Poor people have poor ways

18 Likes

Great idea Justin. You are smart and handy with all things. I want to see a video.:grinning:

5 Likes

That is an impressive build

2 Likes

Nice job Dustin hope that works out for ya.

2 Likes

Whit Sunday.
I’m not mot much of a church man, but I got as close to him as I can get by spending some time jn the woods. Brought bowsaw and hatchet and went clearing roads. By-product: Another 200 miles of motor fuel :grin:
IDNI but WIA
(I Don’t Need It but Wood Is Accumulating) :grin:

12 Likes

You just gotta love it…true happiness is a trailer full of chunked Rabbit food. Feeding the Rabbit, …even better!!

6 Likes

Looks like over 1000 miles in the trailer drying though size is hard too measure though the camera’s, your making me look late for dry wood. Finally warming up anyway. KEEP the Faith.

2 Likes

Same here dustin, hope it works with limited mods or tweeks, looks pretty good as is.

1 Like

Excellent phrase, particularly for English as a second language. That’s my new favorite, and I know the feeling… :smile:

2 Likes

Stepping up my game.
A gentleman nearby is giving me a good deal on this. Some cash and needs some dirt work done. It has 20’ rails with a small 10 hp Tecumseh electric start engine.
Another friend of mine here used to have a Hudson and wants to help me set this up.
I should include, this is the only picture I could find of what I bought. This is not the actual unit but is identical except mine has longer rails. I will post a picture when it’s set up.

18 Likes

BILL that Looks like a compack design, pretty good size mill , maybe we will get some detail design pics when time permits and you get it ironed out. hopefully. I like it freedom making lumber in Gods country.

4 Likes

Way to go Bill, You will enjoy making your own lumber. I just added 4’ of track to mine.

3 Likes

We’ve done a lot of milling around here the past several months. Been doing a lot of building. It sure is nice to have a mill sitting there and a few logs on a pile whenever you need a board or a beam and can just fire it up and make what you need. We had a bad hail storm with real strong gusts a couple months back and it blew a good many pine trees over down the road. Pine’s not worth anything anymore around here, so they gave them to us. The storm washed away the garden (first planting) but we got the logs. But it sure has saved us a good many thousands of dollars not buying lumber lately. Now if I can just get a chunker going so I don’t have to burn all the slabs…

8 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill .

Once you start using the sawmill you will have plenty of scrap wood for home heat and plenty for fueling gasifiers :yum:

5 Likes

You lucky guy Bill. That looks just like the HB that a friend brought over and we cut up some 2x2’s from dead oak trees to chunk up for my truck. I looked them up and think they sell for about $3000 new. It did a great job He had added a water drip on the blade and learned how to sharpen the blades with a 4 inch angle grinder. He also cut a hole in the end of one of the guards, because certain woods threw off stringers that packed in the guard. You are going to collect so many toys that you won’t know what you want to play with each day TomC

3 Likes

Thanks all for sharing my excitement. Although this machine looks like work for many, it spells increased freedom for me. It will be added experience I can add to my life.
Yes Wayne, there won’t be any waste from the wood I cut. I can even use the saw dust for the chickens and compost.
Thanks Tom for the tip on using a 4" grinder. I like having toys that allow me to be productive and make my job easier. I seen a video of someone that had a hole cut in the guard to discharge the sawdust away from the carriage. Looks like a great idea.

1 Like

Being a city boy I don’t know how much you know about wood… When I told relatives my bro-in-law and I were going to saw the logs at his mill. I was told, " Don’t use wood from your b-i-law’s. We built an addition using his lumber and all the walls crack from the wood drying". So, I “stickered” all of my wood up on the back 40 for four years before I had it planed. I built the house and hung the dry wall and tapped and coated the joints. ( first time doing such a thing ) After 15+ years I don’t have one crack in the house.
I put “bat and board” on the outside and the boards have not warp and are just as tight in everyway as when I put them up.

BE PATIENT AND DRY ANY WOOD GOING INTO A FINISHED BUILDING. TOMC ( also burns better in a gasifier after being stickered for a while)

7 Likes

I have always heard you should season wood for one full year to match what you get kiln dried. There are some good plans for solar kilns out there if you want to dry wood faster.

Oak for furniture has to dry for a year/cm thicknes. Thats five years for a 2" board…