Wood supply

Around here in michigan i herd they have too kiln dry too kill the bugs before selling, probbly not that way in many southern states, just hope we can keep it up too the states.So there is some compitition.

Can they kiln dry hardwood for furniture.thats a long drying cycle.

Yes, but the best quality is slowly air dryed. Fast drying resaults in micro cracks in the wood

1 Like

Haha! Wood will be on the menue of this beaver soon!

19 Likes

YEEES! Finally!
Who wants to see it running? I know I do :smile:
Kristijan, what’s the gear dia? 3 or 4 cuts/rev?

4 Likes

Well l still need to get the geras from a metalworker that heat treated them. Plus build the houseing and safety guards, but the heart si finished!

Cant remember exactly, l think 10cm. 4 bites/rev. Hope it makes nice short chunks.

2 Likes

Are the blades removable? What holds them in place?

1 Like

Not sure yet, this is just a picture my friend sent me. He offered him self to make it at his work place, he works in a nearby company that makes professional logging, wood spliting, sawing and similar equipment. Sayd he used best industrial materials on it.
Hardox knifes.

Just gave him the gears and he measured them, 3 months later this pic flew in :grin:

He sayd it just needs to get painted and its done.

7 Likes

It looks like they are tack welded in at the end on that annulus with the set screw hole (top left).

Got a call out for the fire dept last night. First time I ever walked to a call out. The house next door was the plantation house for this whole area. Big cotton plantation back in the day. The trees in the yard were planted in 1917 when they rebuilt/remodeled after a fire. About 10 pm last night this 100 yr old post oak fell across the road and shook the house. It took two full hours to clear the road with 5 saws running full blast and 20 others moving debris. The pics don’t even come close to doing it justice. Now I have to decide if I want to make an extension for the sawmill to cut this 20 foot log or just cut it up into 2 ten footers. Would make quite a bit of good gasifier fuel if I needed it. I think we are going to call a gathering or “wood cutting” so everyone in the church/community/neighborhood can get their wood in for the winter.

Next Friday evening if anyone wants to come by. hahahaha

Uploading…

6 Likes

Billy, that will keep a lot of people warm this winter.
Bob

1 Like

Sounds like plenty of wood there, my newber has an old cotton wood at allmost 4 feet at the bottom an towers out a lot od branch. On a bad winter i can easy go through 10 fed cords.

hey Kevin as bad of a reputation as cottonwood has for fuel it can be used.
Just takes very special handling.
Absolutely must take the tree down in full winter dormancy, leaf-off, sap-down. Get it split up an as dry as can asap (hard winter freeze-drying works); then absolutely must keep it out of the snow and rain, under cover.

If allowed to get re-wet then it is wait until the next year after the summer dring season.
Taken down in full sap up and may take you two years to get it air dried. Here - PNW wetside it will rot first before that two years.

Burns o.k.
Just takes a lot of it.
Leaves a lots of ash.
And burnt too wet - smells like cat-piss to me. Wifie complains mightily.

go for it
J-I-C Steve Unruh

3 Likes

I have been burning cottonwood for home heating about 4 months a year, after 6+ months of summer drying.
Amazing more ash than fir wood. But I have never done a scientific measure of wood burned vs weight of ash.
I have never noticed the bad smell though.

3 Likes

I have burned locus and some other stinky stuff. If you have a gasification stove or a wood stove with secondary air you don’t get that nasty smoke smell if you burn it in an old stove without that you do. That has been my experience so all the stink wood here goes in the basement furnace that is a wood gasification setup.

1 Like

I agree with Steve, cottonwood has a musty smell not entirely agreeable when sawing, reminds me of cow manure. Has cross grain and twisted grain, which can make splitting harder.

I have noticed the distinctive smell when cutting up fresh cottonwood.

Been busy milling and shunking. A ruff estimation of the result is 500$ worth of boards and about the same amount in slab fuel :grin:

17 Likes

Hello JO .

Thanks for the pics and video.

Very nice building material and motor fuel :relaxed:

I think everyone with a small saw mill should also try a wood fueled vehicle .

6 Likes

JO, that sure is a nice mill. How many HP is the motor? Diameter of the saw and how many teeth?

1 Like