Wood supply

JO,

You have been buisy. Wow this sawmill is fast! And it cuts wery smooth cuts.

Will you mix your pine with round chunks or will you burn pure pine?

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Jeff, I built this mill 6-7 years ago with the material that happened to be at hand. It’s a 7.5 hp motor and an 18" blade with 6 teeth. I can cut a maximum of 6 by 12 inch by double cutting, but 6" boards in one pass is easier. The frame accepts 14 foot logs.

Some can easily feed a couple of vehicles :grin:

Kristijan, some roundies will most likely be mixed in when I bag up. I think that will improve the flow in the little hopper.

4 Likes

HI Jo that looks good and handy for building with what one has available, how many board feet will them circle saw blades cut before need sharpening. Seems like might be easyer too build than ban saw. Are there any good prices on them type blades for that type cutter.That one cut through them boards pretty quik.BBB.

Hi Kevin,
My blade has carbide teeth and they are very sturdy. If the logs are clean (not dragged in the mud) I can manage maybe 10 000 boardfeet without sharpening. The blade always cuts out of the bark, not into it. The pile I cut yesterday was about 1400 boardfeet.
When I do sharpen, those six teeth are done in a couple of minutes. I sharpen right on the mill with a small diamond blade grinder.
Oh, I payed about 100$ each for my blades.

2 Likes

Thanks Jo baby that cuts lots of board feet per blade, whats worse on the blade a bullit lead in a tree or just hard nots ?. Just woundered about how many timed can sharpen ? Thanks.

I have never encountered bullit lead so I can’t compare it to nots. I’m sure you can sharpen the teeth 10 or 20 times if you you’re lucky, but whenever hitting a nail, new teeth have to be soldered on anyway.

1 Like

I love my swing blade mill system too.
Once you get the top bark-edge broken into then it is mostly clear-no-bark two pass cutting for a fully edged board.
Almost never have to do the cant turning either.
Bander-boys eat your hearts out.
Kerf sawdust? A waste? Naw. Small animal bedding litter. Mulch for around the acid lovers like berry bushes. Mudway walking material lay-down. Iced/snow traction enhancer.

Regards
J-I-C Steve unruh

8 Likes

Thanks Jo ware can you get carbide teeth and what kind of solder, i dident know you can.?

Beautiful system JO. I could play all day there.

1 Like

Thank you Mr Carl

I don’t know actually. I hit nails with both my blades a couple of years ago. I left them to a professional shop. Soldering on new teeth requires precision. I payed 50$ for having both blades, 12 teeth, done.

I have built 18" diameter concrete core bits by brazing diamond segments into notches cut into the core barrel
Oxy acetylene torch, flux, and brass rod.

4 Likes

Thanks Michael G i thought i seen brass below those carbide teeth before, probbly easyer too have done if not too ofton, or retrain a steady hand for micro brassing.

Theses folks will sell ya a blade, teeth and tools. I think they have videos.

3 Likes

Yep, Lucas Mill was one if my inspiration mills when I built mine. 5 teeth blades match US 60 Hz 3600 rpm electric better.

1 Like

Hi JO, I think they will make custom saws also.

They have videos.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/media/video-library.html

Plus articles somewhere on their page.

2 Likes

Moving a load of hemlock today. It’s a small load because I still have to get the brakes on the trailer working.

6 Likes

Thanks Jeff on the blade teeth info, looks like you have plenty of wood, are you set up with wood gas’ed vehicle yet.?

Hi Kevin, I spent a lot of years working on tin cans and in my older age it turns my stomach to work on them even with a gas generator. Ideally I would retire from the factory job and work until i drop at home business and drive into town on a farm tractor gassed, once a month. I do think of designing a utility vehicle but it would only work on back roads. Too many road ragers on the main roads.

Thought about an antique but now it needs to be stored inside and more expense. Turns out that open rail dune buggies are legal in PA. Wouldn’t that be a hoot on generator gas! But more junk that needs inspected, insured and etc. Just can not afford it.

2 Likes

I think a back-road utility vehicle is a good idea, big enough to be an experimental platform and haul some stuff. :blue_car:
Kind of like Koen’s Tuk-Tuk, Maybe not as ambitious as that or “Andy’s Homemade Truck”
From Matthias Wandel’s woodgears.ca site and YouTube channel…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiKGlxSm5w&spfreload=5

4 Likes

Mike, I’m third world at heart…

1 Like