Wood supply

Here in WV we have mountains and hollars, the trees on top of the mts. get what we call wind twisted. They really get some crazy looking grains in the wood.

5 Likes

Yeah, the butt end of a big Doug fir log is a nightmare. Around here the approach is generally to “noodle” them - which is to say rip it into firewood sized pieces with the biggest saw you can lay hands on. Cutting with the grain makes a giant pile of long skinny shavings, hence the term.

I will also attest to the speed of a super-split. My brother has one, and with both of us working, we can split and stack a cord in 40 minutes. It basically splits as fast as one person can frantically stack it away.

3 Likes

Does it use a rack and pinion drive like what Gary made?

1 Like

Yeah, Its a Super Split brand unit, they really are pretty amazing. They dont really handle super gnarly wood all that well, but for the cherry, maple, alder and doug fir we have around here it is pretty crazy how fast it is.

2 Likes

Hey, yeah.
Noodle strands make the best of chicken nesting material. I suppose be good for rabbits and goats bedding too. I’ve done this on high-stumped tree butts to recover some usable. Takes a lot of saw sharpening though. And best done in the winter cold or need to do a lots of pitch kerosene chain washing.

My 34 ton force woodsplitter will do both horizontal and vertical. Handy for 44-56" round cut off. Is a dual stage-pump. Works out fine. Fast’er 13 second return-time on the lowerer force. Hard resistance encountered and it slows way down still grunt pushing . . . and then, watch out. Once that wood twist/knot gives up . . .some flying chunks will occur with the enrgy release. Had to learn to hip turn to protect the family jewels if you follow me. HURTS, bad keeled over gasping.
Trick to reduce that 13 seconds cycle time is to not let it auto-cycle all of the way back. Just enough for a reset. Elbow valve stop it for a power forward hand directed re-split.
Best the valve directing hand is the same person as the round chunk holding hand. Then bad-things sensed like a bow-split, or push out, and quicker off-power/reverse-quick reaction. Two guys on the splitter leads to fingers losing sooner or later.
The second guy is to feed the splitter guy new material, to-be; and keep the splitter area cleared of splits. Ha! Yeah. He has to hustle.
S.U.

3 Likes

Wind twisted grain, now that’s “pretty” interesting.

1 Like

I cant split wood that fast here , my property is on a 30 deg slope and makes moving wood real hard , so the cone splitter works pretty well moving the wood and reducing it to a size so i can pick it up and then split to size on the slow 40 ton hydraulic splitter , nearly all the tree’s here are mountain ash apart from a few blackwoods

10 Likes

My absolutely, final airport project shut down for 2 weeks .
So been making wood chunks.
My neighbor has some 40 ft high ash trees, 6” to 8” at the butt, and so really nice straight grain.
1 tree makes about 15 - 5 gallon buckets of chunks.
Cut them up in 20” lengths, then use the splitter to get them under 2”, then chunk away.
With the rain every day or so, 0.71” today, the 60 buckets I have processed will probably not be dry enough until next May?
I am in the recliner, a bit sore, but smiling in anticipation of DOW.

9 Likes

Ash is a pretty dry wood, at least green or black ash. It is known for being burnable off the stump, though obviously the dryer the better. But it is fairly low moisture content to start with.

4 Likes

1050/5000
Hello wayne,

be careful with the oak, and also the chestnut tree, these are two species of wood that have pyroligneous juice excrementally corrosive, in Europe they say tannin, attached a photo of cooler and filter of a gasifier all rusted, so the owner only used oak from falling from the construction of his furniture, but mixing softwood and oak is a good, less problem and in addition the gasifier makes less vault.
Anyway, in the coal part when the gas passes for cracking, it must be greater than 850 degrees, to get there, I use the exhaust in a wood dryer to finish removing the water wood, the ideal is that there is no more water, in Europe we call it the red wood, and there you will be amazed at the temperature rise of the gasifier and its performance.to torrify the wood, do not to exceed 270 degrees to keep all the noble products of the wood, it is the grain size of the wood which determines the residence time in the dryer.

12 Likes

Excellent report FrancoisPal
Only one word that did not translate well: “vault”. Would this mean less fuel bridging in the hopper?
Regards
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Thanks very much Francois .

I may go ahead and experiment using the oak and see how long the components will last. Then make a decision if dealing with the pine tar is easier.

I think best might be as you suggested, mixing soft wood with the oak.

Thanks
Wayne

8 Likes

Thank you FrancoisPal; Very interesting information. We all need to dry our wood. The idea of drying it with temperature just under 270 makes since and I hope some of the more ingenious people will take on the task of figuring a way to do this for the common folks. TomC

4 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Making Torrefied Wood

Hi Wayne…I have been burning almost 100% oak since my build. I have not been driving the Dakota as much as I used to but still fire it up and drive maybe once a week. Still on the original build with no major problems. I have plans to tear it down just to do some good inspection of the components it seems like I don’t get near as much condensate in my rear tank as I used to for some reason. Well got to get back to work, good to see you are doing well. Hope to see everybody again someday.

6 Likes

Hello Gary .

Great to hear from you !!

Stay in touch .

4 Likes

Hi Dan,
I grew up in northern Vermont, so similar climate to yours. Try splitting that gnarly stuff when its -10F. I think you’ll like it.
Rindert

2 Likes

Honestly I dont like doing much of anything when it is -10. Lol. But yes frozen wood snaps apart much easier. But honestly my little bidirectional wood splitter does a great job.
I was looking for a photo but don’t seem to have one and it is too cold and windy to go out back to take one.

3 Likes

A few days without rain and the wood is drying good.

First picture is wood drying.

Next wood has been bagged.

Third wood is spread thin for another batch to dry.

IMG_0702IMG_0703IMG_0704

13 Likes

I usually use a simple 20 inch box fan at one end of a batch of wood when I dry stuff inside. Seems to help a lot.

4 Likes