Wood supply

Hey WayneK,
I really like your roll-in; roll-out, wood drying.
You just too practical man!
Best Regards
Steve unruh

7 Likes

Thanks Steve .

This wood pile will replace several gallon of gasoline :grinning:

6 Likes

Oooh, wonderful pics. Can’t wait getting into the chunking business.
I’m almost half way into my winter storage. If I’m lucky I can start replacing it in March-April.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comment JO .

It may sound strange but I enjoy chunking wood.

I like burning it even better :grinning:

10 Likes

That doesn’t sound strange to me at all.

7 Likes

Noting like a little inspiration to warm your toes on a cold winter day.

5 Likes

every time some one posts a video, I loose about an hour of time. YT gives recommendations at the end and there is always one or two that I can’t resist watching in addition tto the posted one. Days when I have nothing in mind, I go to YT and can’t find a thing to watch.:angry: TomC

10 Likes

Talked with cashier at Walmart . She said she heated house with wood pellet stove , This year they are using wood pellets last year they used corn . She also said they had inverter back up power for pellet stove . I am using propane , used up wood already , electric bill has gone up solar panels covered with snow . Most people can’t afford solar panels ,
I used to heat with wood and natural gas , it stretched my paycheck .

3 Likes

Last propane bill pretty much WAS my paycheck. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

UNUSUAL SEATTLE WEATHER! We have 3” of snow and 24 degrees
Paralyzes the city

But I am sitting at home at 75 degrees with wood heat, my airport project finished up last Friday… YEA!

7 Likes

Mike, l didnt press like for obvious reasons. Not long ago about 90% of people here heated on fuel oil, untaxed coloured variant of diesel. It was so cheap noone gave it a second thod. Boy had this changed fast! In just a couple of years the price jumped about 10 times and now rarely anyone still burns it. Exept some diesel owning cheaps who fuel it in their vehiecles, its about 30% cheaper thain diesel. Ilegal ofcorse.

Wood heat rulls. Plus it comes multiple times :smile:

5 Likes

Really unusual, 11 degrees at 6 AM this morning
Had to use smaller wood to get enough heat from the stove , inside seemed to be stuck at about 62 degrees which does not make momma happy

7 Likes

I learned to prepay in July rather the buy propane at spot price in winter . I won a raffle for prepay and got $250 gift certificate for local meat processor . Natural gas got budget plan where you pay same bill all year round . Filled truck with branches before snow , saving some wood for gasifier . Will fill truck again with wood from downed trees . Not as much room with truck and tractor in shed .

3 Likes

I get a summer fill-up, but the leased tank only lasts until about mid-November. The propane company I am stuck with has been sold 3 times, and the present owner is a booger. I aspire to purchase a large propane tank, Fill it up in the Summer, Buy propane from whomever I choose, and gradually get in to wood-fired (remote from house) boiler heating of some sort. That requires an investment of several thousand dollars, which is an elusive goal at the moment. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Guilty :smile:
When we moved in, back in 1995, my first move was removing the oil burner with 1600 liters still in the tank.
We purchased an old diesel motorhome in 2010 and I’ve been feeding it fuel oil every summer on our fishing trips ever since.
The different color/tax-system is no longer used here. Also the law against using it for transportation is longer valid since cheapskates running 25 year old untaxed fuel are rare :grin:

6 Likes

The only people that I know that are “cheaper” than the ones that burn un-taxed diesel in a vehicle, are the ones that burn wood in the trucks. :hatched_chick::hatched_chick::hatched_chick: TomC

12 Likes

Tom, people in our community are known to be rather “economical” :smile: . Pretty much like the Scottish (if that’s familiar across the pond).
There are a considerable amount of jokes about us. One is if we wear out one shoe we repace it with a an odd boot with the bootleg cut off. Another is why there are no beggers here - they all starved to death.

7 Likes

Around here the heating fuel is definitely a lower grade and burning it in a diesel will get you stopped because you can smell it a mile away. There is untaxed diesel but as far as I know only commercial trucks are ever checked for the color of the fuel in the tank.

4 Likes

Scott’s have the same reputation here. I was brought up believing I should have enough money in the bank to cover 6 months of bills. In this government shut down, I was shocked at the news reporting that when people missed their first paycheck they couldn’t make house and car payments or didn’t have enough for food. Now I know why I drive an old 2003 truck and how the other people drive 2018’s and 19’s. Do I feel bad for the government employees-- you figure it out. TomC

Heating oil? Just after I built my house, the gas company put a main line down the road in front of my house… I had just built and outside boiler and turned down the opportunity to get the gas run up to my house, at probably a fair price. Fortunately a friend who worked at the gas&electric company heard I turned it down. She called and made it clear that I was missing a great opportunity. I signed up. Not long after, I had the first of a series of heart attacks, and could not feed the wood boiler. That lady really saved my bacon.

7 Likes

We switched diesel formulas for vehicles and made the necessary adjustments to the engines. #2 kerosene is not really compatible with #1 diesel in newer vehicles, and I think fuel oil here is #4. They made the formulation change when they switched to low sulfer diesel. I could be wrong but that is what I recall. The last folks to move their diesels to the low-sulfer fuel were the german automakers.

4 Likes