Wood supply

If you’re really desperate for some wood for your gasifier, this is how you cut down a tree!

Hey Patrick ,

Count me OUT , I’m too big and fat to get in there . Good job for wife !!

YIKES, I believe I’d start at the other end of the tree myself.

There is a lot of miles in that tree. I don’t believe I would be under it like that …

He could be even more impressive if he starting digging straight up and come out of the top of the tree like a squirrel!

WOW! that tree is probably 3 or 5 hundred years old!

Hard for me to talk and video at the same time. I meant to say, I like the moisture in the hopper being able to condense to water.

A gasifier will run best with dry wood but now and then you might get caught in a tight and have to run on damp wood.

Mike LaRosa was down here once and we fueled a truck from an out side wood pile that had just be hit with 2-3 inch rain storm . We took a 40 mile trip , Truck ran OK ??

BBB

Very good to know Wayne. The importance of a monorator

Hey Bill ,

In a way I was just joking or pulling your leg. I can’t think of many cases where one would have to pour water off the wood before loading in a gasifier. I think the general rule the drier the fuel the better.

I was doing a little experimenting to see just how well the condensing abilities of the gasifier where . I didn’t notice any lose of power but I think it consumed much more wood than it normal . I checked out the truck this morning and it shows no sign of tar or any ill effects from yesterday’s abuse .

BBB

hi wayne
I was just firing up my gasifier and was wondering if my wood was to wet.watch the video and went back out and stuck water hose in it. just joking’’.

a few pictures of my fuel wood supply.
really the first two pictures is my fuel wood and the other two is showing how far I am behind hauling slabs to the charcoal kilns, what you see is about 1/3 of what I have hand to haul.

Jim, you may need a few more trucks to burn all that wood!

Your suspension must be stiffer than mine. How is it you’re carrying all that wood on your Dakota? Bottomed out yet?

Hey Jim,

With a wood pile like that I’m sure a lot of DOW people will be wanting to visit !!

Chris my truck is a 4x4 and It has the tow package, it has a lot heaver springs than the two wheel drive.

Lots of wood and lots of weight. I had to install air springs just to hold up the gasifier. I didn’t realize the 4x4 was that HD. Do they still make charcoal in outdoor kilns where you are?

Jim and Wayne, I was looking for the number of one of the saw mills up by the river to see what they charge for slabwood these days. It used to vary quite a bit but I seem to recall you had to buy 18 bundles at 5 to 15 bucks a piece to get them delivered. I used to drive up to the river with my 3/4 ton Dodge and have them load a single bundle and that would make the rear springs near hit the bumpers. Wayne, I checked out the new library today and caught your video dumping the water out of the bucket. I was LMAO and people didn’t have a clue about what. I will report when I find out what a bundle costs here. Some places actually have their slabs de-barked … Mike

Hello Wayne
every one is welcome they can have all the wood they can carry off. the only problem right now is I don’t have a chunkier fixed up yet…every one is welcome to come and chunk their own for now .
the saw mill turns out about three bundles a day, the charcoal kilns estimates them at 3000 lb bundles.
the first two pictures is edger stripes that has been their since last spring, down to about 15% on the moisture meter.

Carl
yes there’s several kilns around close, royal oak company is big time around here.

Mike
Royal oak pays me 25 dollars a bundle delivered. about a twenty mile haul.

Hey Mike ,

Glad you were able to catch the video. I was thinking of the day you were here and we fuel up with soaking wet wood. No worries about speeding tickets.

Hey Jim ,

A weeks run from your saw mill you should have enough fuel to loop planet Earth.

Earlier in the week I spoke at an Association of Energy Engineers meeting. Just about my first words were " wood powered vehicles are not for everyone , but for a few they can be a blessing "

I think you, I and others on the site fall into the blessed category .

HWWT
Wayne

A scary way of processing wood but it looks effective for someone who only has a chainsaw.