Woodrunner chevy

Haha, yes it’s totally impossible to remember or choice the right word in this situation :smile:
And to make it worse, wire vajer, stållina stålkabel…

8 Likes

You multi-lingual guys amaze me anyway. I once, poorly, spoke German but it’s been so long I barely remember more than a few phrases. When I thought I was speaking fairly well I’m sure I amused the native speakers. You guys are excellent.

11 Likes

Had some spare-time to tinker with the truck, fixing some wiring, and mounted a new temperature probe before the mixer.

Still some leaks to fix, but weather dont allow working with silicone or tape.
One problem is im out of wood, or dry wood to be specific, i have 15 bags of chunks that has been left uncovered some 3 years, the chunks are like wet sponges, so i do some experimenting: i loaded my charcoal retort with wet chunks, and boil them dry, will report the results tomorrow when it cooled down.

Loaded with wet and icy chunks.

Started a fire in the firebox.

When making charcoal the pyrolyzis gas is directed to the “nozzles” in the firebox, one nozzle visible to the left.
Now just letting the steam out, when steam no longer visible the chunks probably should be dry.

I check the temperature in the gas outlet, steady on 100°c, when it raises fast i “shut it down”.
I know, much work to get dry wood, but i really want to drive some in the truck soon :smile:
And: i had an enormous pile of scrap wood, (fiber board, bark, twigs, paper) good for burning in the retort.

11 Likes

Make sure you make plenty of ash and charcoal to preload that gasifier up. We want to see a flare on the first light up. The DOW crew is looking forward to it.
The DOW crew and Bobmac

8 Likes

Hi, and thank you sir, earlier in this thread there is a flare, only “stationary” though, when i dried some wood, and patched some leaks (even stainless dont last forever) there going to be a video with flaring, start, and some driving (i hope)
It’s a slow progress now, i have some “trouble” with my lower intestines (if thats correct translation?) feeling much better now, and can do some woodgas-work again :smiley:

7 Likes

Did a little fixing on the truck today.
There was a leak under the gasket on the filter lid, there was a weld making the seal surface uneven, i decided to smooth out the surface with silicone.

Some thin plastic wrapping to let the lid seat the surface.
I really want the filter airtight, there are sayings a hot/cloth filter be completely destroyed by glowing particles setting the soot-cake and fabric on fire, my believes is there are no risk of a filter-fire as long as there are no oxygen present. The glowing particles should “suffocate” before reaching the filter, what i think proves it is on my setup there must be glowing pieces leaving the gasifier, and i havent noticed any burns on the old filter.
Something i believe in theory helps, is when i shutting down, i dont close the filter, the “after-gassing” leaves small amounts of moisture in the filter, quenching any glow before oxygen reaches the soot. Just some theories though :crazy_face:

11 Likes

Last try to drying wood turned out well, only drawback’s is wood smell’s “smoky” (bad if you want to store wood indoors, or inside car or truck)
Started drying a new batch today :smiley:

Diggin for gold (rotten, frozen wood-chunk’s)

Stuffing the charcoal-retort.

Burning some scrap

12 Likes

Finally, woodgas friends, welcome to take a ride with me. :blush:

Sorry for the blurry, shaky, video, and all the stuttering.
Also learned it maybe better to tilt the phone, to film “wider” but it was so hard to hold it that way… and that cover flapped down in the way… :roll_eyes:

Light-up

Stand by! CLEAR!

We have a flare!

Still as exiting to drive on wood, feels like the first time i managed to run an engine on wood!
Celebrating with a cup of coffee, totally shaky! No woodgas-poisoning, just happy and exited i hope :smiley: :laughing:

23 Likes

Thanks very much Goran for the ride !!

That made my day.

12 Likes

That was a wonderful wood gas drive in your truck Goran, glad the snow has melted away so you can drive the truck around. You have a very nice DOW truck.
Bob

9 Likes

What Wayne and Bob said.
Göran, I could hear you smiling when accellerating :smile:

9 Likes

Goran, I love your posts, especially the movies, well, it sounds like your truck is breathing heavy gas, when idling it sounds like a race car :grinning::clap:

8 Likes

Thanks mr Wayne and mr Bob, yes as for the snow, more is coming tonight, but im going to take a snow-ride soon :smiley:, i have no studded tires for this truck so i probably don’t film when driving then.
Thanks JO, yes that smile are still visible, my face starts to feel sore :laughing:
Thanks Tone, yes it felt very strong, but the sound are more due to some big rust holes in the exhaust i found today (more work…) also i have to adjust the timing somewhat earlier, i’ve found it sounds funny when timing is “late” maybe due to exhaust still “burning” on it’s way out the manifolds, just a theory, but exhaust use to be louder when timing is retarded.
Yes, i have no way to adjust timing from drivers seat, but started to build some years ago, have to find it, then more to do :smiley:

9 Likes

Goran,
Thanks for the delightful ride. That was fun.

4 Likes

You might want to ask the wife if she wants to go for a ride and hold the camera she does great camera work. Then while you are out for a drive pick up some lemons at the store for the sore smile.
Bob

4 Likes

Its so nice to see a seasoned woodgaser geting back to buisness, he knows the 75% well and it works the first time BUT STILL that smileis present…

They say hardcore drug users keep taking drugs because they want to get the high they did when they first took the drug, but never realy do. Well, we are lucky our high doesent get less potent with every new lightup :wink:

15 Likes

Ha, well said, Kristijan, it will explain the abstinence i feel when not driving on wood for long time :smile:
Anyway, no i don’t think i know all the 75%, maybe 60%, i don’t think that learning curve is linear, those last % are very hard to come by… but, it’s like riding a bicycle, once you learn…
:smiley:

11 Likes

…big .artist !!! nice to see your builds!

8 Likes

Just posting some boring improvements :smile:

My fuel shut-off valve, i controlled it with a small electric actuator, only problem it was 24volt and took “forever” to open or close, this i found annoying, so i decided to replace it with a more “analog” bullet-proof design, i found a extremely sturdy push/pull cable that i monted on the dash.

As i rebuilt the hopper lid, i made it flat, because it was cumbersome to shape the stainless dome-shaped as the original lid.
I wasn’t happy with it, it tended to collapse in the middle, and don’t become tight enough, no big problem, but i don’t like the prolonged “smouldering” after shut-down.

When visiting a thrift store it hit me… i bought this stainless serving plate.
Drilled holes for the hinge/spring.

Welding the plate upside-down on top of the lid.

Out in the dark, mounting the lid, much better and even pressure all around the seal now :smiley:

14 Likes

Not all Göran! That’s the kind of advanced technology most of us like a lot.
Oh, and don’t think for a second we forgot about the upcoming driving video, including a lightup. We’re waiting with utmost patience though :grin:

12 Likes