A thread for motorized bicycles

Yeah thats a nice looking bike too. These fold up bike like Tyler Ive always thought looked pretty lame lol. But the more reviews I saw the more I liked it. After you look at specs on other alike bikes you release this is a lot of Ebike for the money. But 750 watts is more then 500 watts lol plus its a full size bike.

1 Like

I saw a series of YouTube videos of someone building an electric bike, and the build as I remember was like $1800, but the bike could hit crazy highway speeds! I will link the videos here:

It is an 11000 watt bike, compared to the 500 and 750 watt bikes youā€™re talking about! That video you see is a playlist, and the first video isnā€™t much, so you can skip ahead to the next video right away. Click the top right playlist button.

3 Likes

Yeah I know some of these bikes probably have the power to weight ratio of a Honda CR 500. lol

I have a full suspension bike that was given to me recently. It needs some fixing up but could be a good candidate for a mid drive system. This would also be a great experiment for wood gas charging systems. :fire:

2 Likes

Ok so all this talk and I knew I should not have gone to Craigslist but out of curiosity I wanted to see what was out there and I found this gem for 50 bucks. Bent rear rim and the derailleurs need some tuning. Im going see if I can straighten the rim and it does need a new tire. So Amazon for that. This has the rapid fire controls, the other free bike has the twist grip and I dont like them. Back in the day I was an avid mountain biker. I had an $1800.00 bike and this was back in the late 90ā€™s So this was a very high end bike. I rode that thing everywhere and then they gave me my license back!! aint touched a bike since!! lol

So I got this now and am now committed. Im thinking of getting a mid drive for it.

3 Likes

I bought a new bike today, the original thought was to adapt it to electric with some kits Iā€™ve seen online, but now that I ride it, it is very comfortable. It would be really cool to convert it to electric, but I think that it is built really well as it is and can serve as a good mountain bike for trails and such.

That is the bike, not the exact bike but the same type. It is fitted perfectly for me. It is just expensive when it comes to batteries for an electric bike, because the lead acid rechargeable batteries, all 12 volt and connected in series, is heavy, and the lithium ion batteries and some other smaller batteries are just as expensive as the bike!

4 Likes

I have decided that I am not going to do an electric bike build with this bike, and I am just going to use the bike for normal biking. It is not practical to spend the money on a whole electric system.

4 Likes

I found a great deal on Craigslist for a motorized bike, but this one is a four stroke. It is asking 170, but I can probably get that down to 150, and the 4 stroke kit that is installed on it sells for upwards of 200 online, it is fully assembled as well. The 4 stroke engines are a lot quieter, and have a lot less vibration when going fast.

3 Likes

A few years ago I built up one of the 50CC 2 cycle bikes.
I soon had clutch issues, but then I doubt they were intended for a 250 lb load.

Pictures please if you buy it.

2 Likes

Easier to put a gasifier on also.

3 Likes

I was just going to say that billy, I could make one of those trailers that can just bolt on to the seat post and mount a gasifier. I know before on this site a channel on YouTube called nighthawkinlight has made a ā€œwood powered motorized bikeā€ but that just used a bee smoker and was not at all big enough to produce enough gas to even idle the engine well.

2 Likes

I think you should look at Koenā€™s post about the one with the pipe running the water pump in Thailand. I think its called something like ā€œsome school in Thailandā€. Something like that would be very light. I think that is what M Gibbs is working on too on his ā€œventure to the dark sideā€. I am looking for time to finish the walk behind tractor. Another possibility. I have a stainless steel cooking pot to use as the gasifier with a glass lid. i hope to be able to see some goings on in there for demonstration. I saw one of those on a motor cycle once. Lots of possibilities. Be careful though please.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll check those out, thanks for pointing a few projects out. I will definitely be careful.

1 Like

The 4 stroke motorized bike got away. I called the seller up, because he had not responded to any of my emails, and when I called he said it was sold already. I emailed the first day the ad was up, and somehow somebody already bought it. I guess it is not that big of a deal. It was gone fast, as you canā€™t even buy an engine kit for that money. If I was to do a four stroke build I probably would just get one of those harbor freight 212cc engines, and take off the cranks, then just buy some sprocket components and have it built myself. Might as well for the same price have 4 times the size of the motor as the kits with the 50cc motors and have much more torque and speed.

It is a great find, but I havenā€™t seen too many e-bikes with rear suspensions. I donā€™t know if that is a weight issue, or me just being ignorant. My favorite bikes was my '90s Haro Extreme, the frame design eliminated a lot of the bumps you would need a rear shock for. I added front shocks but the bike was eventually stolen by some college kid.

With all the sand and snow you guys have, you need something more like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFH4D49/ref=dp_prsubs_1

1 Like

You might consider the H.F. 3HP 79cc. You could still squeeze out 1-1/2 HP with a gasifier and extend your range. I have an old SS fire extinguisher with a large (3"?) screw lid that keeps asking me to turn it into a bike gasifier.

2 Likes

I found a the gasifier design for a 25cc engineā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFl1XNVTwfI

I saw that already, itā€™s pretty cool, just not an easily fillable gasifier. And since that engine is a 2 stroke there might be some problems with oil.

Thats not woodgas, thats pyrolisys gas. This will mess up a engine in minutes, specialy 2 stroke.

I have run 2 strokes on chargas. If the gas is clean and dry there is no problem.

3 Likes

Good to know, I have not seen very many examples of that and didnā€™t really know the difference. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

Donā€™t you have to put in an oil drip for a two stroke, or am I missing something

3 Likes