All stainless Imbert

It’s Friday, I’m the only mechanic here. No work orders or anything critical to do. So I’m adding to my worksite fill up by clearing from around a storage barn

. :grin:

13 Likes

I see alot of miles DOW laying on the ground. Nice.
Bob

7 Likes

My Father’s first time on woodgas.

17 Likes

hey Kyle how does the power feel with just the single gas feed line through that edelbrock?

5 Likes

It’s not bad at all under normal driving. It leans out after a short moment when the secondaries open up so I know the Woodgas supply is a choke point. The piping is 2" from cyclone, thru the cooling rack, out the filter housing and to the intake T. I got on it hard for my dad and let the secondaries open after a few warm up miles and it died but I don’t expect to run it that hard anyway. For now it’s smooth and very capable. I’m very happy with it. :wood::fire::dash:

8 Likes

That’s what happens when you’re trying to impress somebody.

9 Likes

I have my Holley rigged as a mechanical secondary right now and it does the same, with both woodgas lines 2" wide open as soon as the secondary’s open it up it will go full rich and I have to manually lean it out a bit to get power back then she really comes alive! If I ease into it it will still get rich but not bad enough to need a adjustment with the air valve. Seems to be a very big power difference when all 4 barrels are opened up it really starts pulling you can actually feel it throw you back in the seat when the back barrels open it. This has made me think a quadrajet would be a good choice with the smaller primary barrels for around town and cruising and good wood mileage, then the rears open up and really pour the woodgas to her for those passing lanes or hard pulls.

7 Likes

I agree, just opposite phenomenon in ours. Yours is sluggish air, mine is sluggish gas lol. I’m gathering parts for future feed tubing enlargement. And definitely going to go with Arduino mix valve controls for drivability.

8 Likes

I’d really like to see a video of your routing to the engine. I tried going through the plastic inner fender of my Sierra but it’s a pain, after the inner fender the pipe is too close to the exhaust manifold and other crazy bends.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Nice, so you’re using a reinforced spa/gas hose?

2 Likes

It’s surplus 2" suction hose that was laying around at work. Usual stuff you’d see for sump pumps or mud pumps.

3 Likes

First truck show was an overwhelming success. Definitely had people crowded by my truck the entire time I was there. People Loved it and I Loved the interest they had. Same usual questions and comparing me to the show Mountain Men. But no negative results! Truck drove perfectly. Let a few woodgas books lay out on the radiator and everyone thumbed thru them. Especially Wayne’s book.
A crowd gathered quick when I started to fired it up. it was hard to get people to let me leave without frantically wanting me to explain it. I’ll take it out to that show again. Good times.

16 Likes

Kyle,
Good Show! I also encounter a lot of interest when I when I take my car to shows, but so far, no one interested enough to start building. That part is a bit disappointing.

9 Likes

Wait until the gas lines start forming going around the block and you can only buy 10 gallons at a time. Been there and done that in the early 70’s. Driving a hundred miles a day to work. Would have to stop at two different gas stations to fill up. A hour or so waiting in lines.
Have wood will travel now. DOW
Bob

5 Likes

Do you think the gas stations will turn into Wood stations Bob? Get rid of the pumps and have conveyors pulling wood chunks up from underground storage containers. Three grades. Fir and pine, Ash and Maple. Oak and fruitwoods.

9 Likes

No chance! That would be like them pulling their pumps and putting in Tesla fast charging units. It is gas/diesel fuels only or nothing.I think they the oil lords are happy with $100.00 U.S. plus dollars for 20 gallons of gas.
Oh wait, they love their monies god and want it to be a bigger god. So the price will go up and more shortages and lines waiting so you will not mind paying more. You will just be glad you can get some gasoline or diesel fuel to go to work if you have a job at all, so you can make monies to buy more fuel. We that gasifiy are on our own for sure that have gasifiers. And you better keep it srealth or they will find a way to red flag you, then drag you into court, and then take it all a way because your are dangerous to everyone. Sad but true. Our once great country is in bad shape with the rest of the world. Just look around the signs are everywhere by their lies and corruption of men and women.
Only God can save us out of this mess we have put us into. And He might just let it get unbelieveably worse to teach us all what the wages of sin is all about.
Bob

8 Likes

Ironically GM is partnering with the Pilot gas stations to put in chargers. (but they aren’t pulling pumps.)

I do suspect automakers are sitting on vehicles until the first of the year for the IRA stuff, but I don’t think it will be enough to make a significant impact on fuel prices. In a year or two, there could be enough production for an impact.

1 Like

How’s the truck holding up? Had any success to solving your storage issues?

1 Like

I have put about another 100 miles on it just randomly since the truck show. Not daily driving since getting a travel heavy side job and a promotion to supervisor at the waste treatment plant. But since my daily '93 Cummins had finally gave up a head gasket, I’ll be knocking cob webs out of it sooner than later. I start it up to demonstrate it on tic-toc and spreading some info though. Turbo kit for the SBC is still in the box waiting to be installed. Definitely a spring weather kind of project. Still gathering parts to upgrade more areas of the gasifier and such. So needless to say it’s put up for the winter. But I was contacted earlier last week about getting it on an episode of a new show coming up. Planning on shooting early next year if it goes smoothly. I’ll keep everyone updated on that.

8 Likes