American inflation reduction act 2022

Where do you come up with this crazy stuff

I’m not American but even in Canada, the IRS is a complete joke. They don’t have enough people to even process your tax returns let alone investigate

The Us tax system is such a disaster your almost at the level of Greece for tax avoidance.

I priced the whirlpool drier.
In Canadian kopeks it’s 1700 dollars
I’ll buy a Chinese dryer before I pay a red cent to them for another crappy appliance

2 Likes

I don’t know if they funded anymore agents or not. Apparently for the appliances and such it is earmarked so the states decide how to hand out the money.

In the case of Mississippi, it probably will go to fund some guys mansion and pay for a volleyball arena at a college.

3 Likes

I have relatives with dual citizenship
A lot of easy ways to avoid tax and they never get audited

Not fair for thee we honest people

I looked into it
Decades of under funding

4o year old computers, shrinking budgets, hiring freezes, aging work force retiring 10,000 a year
That’s a mess it will take years to fix even if it’s getting more funding right now

1 Like

It appears the 87k employees may be real, but the actual number of enforcement agents is going to be closer to 5k.
" In fact, efforts to restore IRS enforcement funding have always been about making sure rich people pay their taxes, which helps explain why the GOP is so bent out of shape about it."

3 Likes

Wallace, with all due respect, I’m not sure what exactly you are labeling “crazy stuff” frankly that is part of the problem in our country is rather than objectively debate the facts one side usually just tries to discredit the other side as “conspiratorial” or “crazy”

I am not stating anything that is not well known and well established fact. This has been all over the news for the past couple of weeks. The IRS has been authorized to hire and train 87,000 new agents, some of them armed. That part I do not understand, why an accountant needs a gun, nevertheless it does not make it a fact, it is in fact true.

I agree that we probably rival Greece for tax evasion, but it is legal tax evasion by many because there are so many loopholes and legal credits to take advantage of by the rich - but I hope you understand that you are helping me make my point. First -from a point of objective truth, our country is not really all that concerned with tax evasion, legal or illegal, because the solution is easy, abolish the progressive income tax and all tax based credits and replace it with either a flat tax that all, rich and poor would pay at the same rate - or better yet, abolish all income based taxes and establish a national sales tax - if you are wealthy enough to buy a Lear jet, pay the tax on its sale, maybe you aren’t that wealthy and just have enough to buy a big screen TV, pay the same tax rate on that as the rich pays on the Lear jet - fair to all, nearly impossible to evade or avoid. But the truth of it is, if the US did that, they could no longer pick winners and losers by giving tax credits and punish activities that they do not like. So they really don’t want to fix the problem because it is working very nicely for them.

Second, another way in which your opinion makes my point is that the ultra wealthy have accountants and attorneys to manage their funds and keep them out of tax court, so who exactly are the new agents going to be investigating? It won’t be the rich, I can guarantee you that.

I didn’t mean to veer into the realm of politics, but sincerely be careful what you claim as a tax credit and keep all of your receipts because it might not just be the big fish that get audited when there are a lot of extra bodies trying to justify why they are drawing a salary. Just food for thought.

4 Likes

Boy you got troubles…

I have a cousin that lives int he USA.
He games the system hides Canadian income and investments using out truck sized loop holes.
But he hides assets in US tax haven states that make Pana look honest.

It effects us both because the rules are jig rigged and not enforced.

My cousin… Jeepers even my Dad 85 years old and crooked as dogs hind leg in his US taxes laughs at me being honest enough to pay them

Armed IRS agents?
Seriously ???

The joke is Revenue Canada hits you in the back of the knee with a blackjack while they steal your wallet and Up land revenue smashes thumbs with a hammer, and forces you to pick your own bills out of your wallet with what remains of your fingers.
That’s laughable…

IRS agents with guns, this has to be a joke.
With all due respect, the USA is still a civilized country, its not crooked Hungary or Poland, not wallowing with water up to the gunnels like the UK.

87,000 =People=. Not all people that work for the IRS are auditors. They have issues processing forms in a timely manner without auditing them. Some of them will be auditors. Some of them call center employers and data entry people, IT people, etc.

Yup. Dual citizenship is a whole different ballgame. Corporations do similar things, even if they made the money, they don’t have to pay taxes on it, unless they bring it back to the states. So they have piles of money scattered across the globe.

I don’t know the solution because the US can’t legally enforce out of country investments easily.

but yeah armed IRS agents? No. Probably armed personal to protect federal processing center employees from an attack similar to what happened at the White House.

1 Like

We need air tight tax treaties.
20% corp tax put things where they belong.
Inject some competition into the system again so business is honest and the little guy with business he built himself can keep building

Oh ya my Dad and cousin are not US citizens…
Both are Aliens with special skills…

Chris

Please kill this thread. It has nothing to do with woodgas as it’s evolving. Just my 2 cents​:-1::-1::-1:

3 Likes

It will run its course.

It’s in the off topic section

It’s not political

And now for something completely different a little music

1 Like

apparently Forestry was included some of the drafts. I haven’t verified how much made it to law, but interestingly urban forestry, private forests, and national forests are getting money. But what caught my eye was money for " support the development and application of innovative wood products" and “hazardous fuel reduction or vegetation management projects on NFS lands”, I am thinking maybe there could be grant money for moving Argos to Federal Land.

----
Forestry
The Inflation Reduction Act would provide $5.0 billion in Subtitle D of Title II for forest management, planning, and restoration activities for federal and nonfederal forests, $22 billion less than the BBBA, which covered a wider array of forestry activities.
The funding in the Inflation Reduction Act would include $2.15 billion for management of the National Forest System (NFS, administered by the U.S. Forest Service), including funding for hazardous fuel reduction or vegetation management projects on NFS lands, for inventorying and protecting old-growth and mature forests on NFS lands, and for improving environmental reviews. Subtitle D would also
include $2.75 billion to support grants and other financial assistance for nonfederal forest management, including funding for urban and community forestry programs. The grant programs would support climate mitigation activities on nonfederal forests, facilitate participation in forest carbon markets, and support the development and application of innovative wood products. Several of the grant programs would be
specifically targeted to support the participation of “underserved forest landowners.”

2 Likes

Ban the clear cut.

Selective forestry practices!!!

The reality is there is no room for industrial forestry in a heating world.
Unless we want to speed it up that is…

All that would happen is we import all of our lumber from canada and the forest fire issue would be much worse which puts more CO2 in the air.

I am pretty positive that money is earmarked for thinning the forests that were planted for pulp paper spacing and clearing the underbrush out to make char or biofuels.

They ran an experiment as part of the Obama era stuff, where they gave money to a native american tribe in california in like 2009 to thin and remove underbrush, and there was a major fire like in 2016, and they either were able to stop the fire or it just burned out when it hit that section of land.

There are several companies using wood for biofuels out west and one or more that is making biochar. Fires are a billion+ dollar pain in the butt every year.

Of course listening to the news. 2 dead who burned up fleeing a housing project of 4k houses on the ONLY way in/out of the area. I have no idea how that housing got approved.

then i listened to a report of an area with like 30 houses burned down, and they interviewed the only guy whose house was still standing and he just said. ‘we actually set up a fire perimeter around our house. I think that is the only thing that saved our house.’ he is basically calling everyone else stupid.

There is some human stupidity involved in this as well.

3 Likes

Places I did not expect to see the tide turn are turning on a dime,
It does offer some hope.

Poland still operates the biggest coal fired power station in the EU and it won’t be a fast transition.
One things we can be sure of is Russia has forced groups of people to change their behaviour.

I remain increasingly alarmed at the pace changes some good some bad.
Change too fast causes instability ( like the melting ice sheets that have a lot of people crapping their pants )

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2022/09/06/poland-ukraine-heat-pumps-climate/

Very very strange times. Energy prices are expected four times usual here.
Ships go like crazy with coal from Rotterdam to North Germany for the powerplants. They get triple rates, plus low water extra. Rivers arent deep enough. Smaller ships take caissons and everything that floats to keep the plants burning.
Everyone here is installing pv, the grid is becoming unstable…
Fast changes are never good. I am to old to adapt quickly.
Economy is totally overheated, no people to work. Everyone is running. How is that possible with 18 mil in this microcountry?

2 Likes

I just topped up the tank.
Gasoline is down to $1.60 and Canukistani Kopeks…
Thats my comfortable place high enough to make me plan trips but low enough thats its not painful to make them.

Its been a decent summer you know.
It stared out cool and warmed up a little higher than average, but it rained more.
Now its hotter than average and still wet enough ( fall colours are starting to show but the trees are in no rush )

On the one hand I know things are not good in other places, but a trick of geography has put me in a real nice place…

Pot bellied Finlanders with bronze statue tans green gum boots mow lawns around me…
Sunflowers growing in unexpected places taller than I am surprise ( not normal at all ).
The grass is green and growing faster than I can mow.
Song birds, a lot more than I am used to wake me early in the morning ( usually this time of year its raining cool and the windows are closed at night.
The hum of AC units continue ( just open your dam windows neighbour!!! )
No smoke in the air from western fires or local.
the large mouth bass are biting, thats impressive in itself because they are not supposed to be in these waters.
The lakes are high but no flooding around me any place…
The gardens have produced bumper crops of veggies people leave at the street for strangers to collect

I should shut the hell up.
The Climate models predicted this 20 years ago.
But all it will take is a refinery fire to screw up the energy costs.
A forest fire to screw up the air quality.
A freak warm front meeting a cold front to create a tornado…

You want a job, they are easy to get.
You want a car thats a different matter…
You want a house forget about it…

These are strange days, but they are being pretty good to me so I should just mow the lawn and shut up…

2 Likes

If you are in the states, pass this on to your local elected officials. NREL is handing out $15k for adopters of SolarApp+, this is for local governments like town and townships, etc. to help cover the cost of adoption. SolarApp+ is designed to try and reduce the paperwork load and red tape in the permitting process so people can install solar legally without hours and hours of paperwork and phone calls. Which if it is a contractor, they have to charge you for it. It should help reduce the overall cost of legally installing panels in your area. I don’t know if it is available for individuals or not. It could greatly reduce the amount of permitting fees charged by understaffed townships to handle these permits. IE if it took a staff member a half day to process a piece of paperwork a lot of townships would charge a half days work for the permitting fee. I have talked to several contractors that didn’t want to go through all the paperwork or didn’t even know what the process was.

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO) will award prizes of $15,000 to local governments that successfully adopt or pilot SolarAPP+ in about five months. The prize funding will help local governments lower the cost of the adoption process.

SolarAPP+ is a tool that can automate the solar permitting review process, free up community staff time, and deliver instant permits for code-compliant PV systems. While SolarAPP+ is free for communities to adopt, there are associated costs that arise during the implementation process.

Apply here:

More SolarApp+ information:

Apparently Hyundai and KIA are having issues with the IRA2002 act because their electric vehicles aren’t made in the US and don’t qualify for the tax credit. Their sales of EVs doubled in the US last year.

KIA has a factory that was scheduled to start production in 2025 in Georgia (US), and unconfirmed insider sources are saying they are moving up that schedule to 2024.

Apparently Mercedes-Benz eActros LongHaul will have a range of 500 kilometers and can achieve megawatt charging. Daimler and Amazon are currently testing in Germany. They are using LFP (LiFeP) batteries. Tesla is testing somewhere in the States I believe. I’m more surprised I haven’t heard much from the likes of Peterbuilt since Detroit Diesel does have an electric drivetrain.

1 Like

I’m not sure those companies even exist in any sense more than just a brand like inglis on maytag

1 Like