American inflation reduction act 2022

This is a quick summary of some of the things that are eligible under the new inflation reduction act. I haven’t read it, yet. It is 700 pages. But there are a lot of folks interested in off-grid, and some of the stuff is covered with a tax credit. But things like breaker boxes, batteries/inverters, solar systems etc are covered. As well as some general upgrades to keep the wifey happy like new stoves (probably the induction stovetops which cook similar to gas), water heaters, EV stuff, etc.

• 30% tax credit on solar systems.
  • 30% tax credit on energy storage technologies.
  • Tax credits for home builders.
  • Up to $7,500 tax credit on electric vehicles (EVs).
  • 30% tax credit on EV chargers.
  • $8,000 rebate on heat pumps. - (“If you mean certain income requirements, you could be eligible for a rebate when installing a heat pump, which, contrary to its name, can be used to both heat and cool your home.”)
  • $1,750 rebate on heat pump water heaters.- (“Changing the way you heat water in your home could get you this rebate, provided you meet certain income requirements.”
  • $840 rebate on electric stoves, cooktops, ranges, and ovens.
  • Up to $4,000 rebate on breaker box upgrades and $2,500 rebate on electrical wiring. - (“Need to make some home repairs before switching to renewable energy? You could be eligible for rebates on these upgrades that might be required before adding a solar system.”)
5 Likes

There is a tool that will help to see what you qualify for. Looks like knolage will save people money even if they don’t think they are buying something that would be covered. The money for upgrades to electrical panels or electric stoves are just a couple of things i wouldn’t have thought to look for money back on.

3 Likes

The newer induction stoves are supposed to cook a lot like gas, without the hassle of worrying about a flame or accidental burns, and they are covered.

Kind of ticks me off. I would have installed a heat pump water heater, but I just replaced it out of necessity.

I didn’t even know heat pump clothes driers existed.

3 Likes

Jebus Crisis that’s brilliant and so simple!!!
I never heard of that, I want one now…

" WHAT IS A HEAT PUMP DRYER?

A heat pump dryer works as a closed loop system by heating the air using it to remove moisture from the clothes and then reusing it once the moisture is removed. Rather than releasing warm, humid air through a dryer vent to the exterior of the home as a conventional dryer does, a heat pump dryer sends it through an evaporator to remove the moisture without losing too much heat. Making use of a refrigerant as part of this process means less electricity is used to generate heat."

3 Likes

I’m glad you posted that, I assumed they worked more like the water heaters.

Ironically I came up with a similar idea in the 70s. The air diverters people were using put too much moisture into the air, and if you put cooling fins on the outlets it traps the lint in the condensate and causes fires so I was like just put a dehumidifier on it. I got the eye roll along with ‘it is too complicated and expensive, no one would ever buy one’ statement. lol

Now I have to look at them to see what they are using for the cooling loop.

4 Likes

Man that should have been made years ago.
Can you imagine the number of fires/accidents caused by shit old dyers with conventional elements or gas burners that could have been avoided

3 Likes

Yes but weight is an issue with all glass top stoves if you can. I am considering a upgrade there but would probably end up needing a separate hot plate able to handle the weight of my 2 canners. It is the one thing that has held me back on replacing my gas stove.

3 Likes

I think the answer to that is very expensive even with the incentive. They are apparently very common in Japan and have been used there for a long time like over a decade IIRC. I also think they are much slower than a old fashioned dryer but i could be wrong there.

2 Likes

There’s no real reasons for them to be so expensive except for the fact there are so few on the market and so few companies that make any sort of appliances in North America.

If whilpool was broken up under monopoly laws into 5 or 6 companies I expect we would see a lot cheap and better made stuff in short order.

The glass top induction top fad is just fashion.
You can make an induction top with boring looking places to put the pots.
And you can probably make one that lasts a lifetime without much effort as well as more efficient.
Again the Whirlpool problem is in the way

Its really simple it exactly like your house hold dehumidifier only a little larger.
Its dead simple 1970s technology at its core.

2 Likes

You will need one anyway, because I bet 10:1 your canners are cast aluminum and won’t work with induction stoves. In fact almost all of the aluminum pans won’t work and a lot of people buy all new pots and pans. it needs the iron content to receive the magnetic energy. For as much canning as you do, I would be looking at doing it outside anyway, just to keep the heat and humidity out of the house.

The newish electric canners aren’t quite set and walk away yet, or else I would be in line for one, and they don’t have the capacity you need.

4 Likes

yeah, it is basically an ac unit, refrigerator, dehumidier or air/air heat pump at it’s core. I wonder if someone makes an absorption version. then you skip the stupid compressor.

2 Likes

A lot of people in Japan still have heaters in their bathrooms with a ceiling fan to draw it out. At least in apartments and smaller homes. They hang it up like regular laundry and the room gets hot. I’ve done that before when our dryer was on the fritz, just use a small electric space heater and turn on my vent.

Edit: they also will hang their laundry on the balcony for an apartment. Almost every apartment has hooks to attach a bar.

1 Like

That problem is easy to solve you put a metal plate on the stove and place your pan on it. They make them designed to not over heat the stove top. I would get one because i happen to like the glass vision ware i guess is the brand pots.
Yes i do a ton of canning i have two crockpots reducing spaghetti sauce at the moment. Should be about 9 quarts ready for jars in the morning. Getting the heat out of the house would be a definite advantage most of the time you are canning. I have debated putting the old wood fired cookstove outside for it but one of my two canners does have the pressure weight it is the gauge you monitor and i worry i couldn’t ever keep it the right temperature. I usually run both at the same time. They are both really old aluminum canners probably from the 40s or 50s atleast one of them is about that old because it was my grandmothers and it was one of the first ones they made. I only know that trivia because her cosin got very bad steam burns opening it when it was still under pressure at the end of the cycle because she had grown up with water baths and pressure canners where new. So my mother has always driven it into anyone running one how dangerous they are before they finish venting.
I did look at the electric canners and had much the same reaction you did. Sad to because if the price was right and they had a simple sensor to hold pressure and a timer to set the cycle they would be very useful. I would love a canner you could set and walk away. It is a slow boaring process watching a pot boil.
Totally off topic but this has been an odd year for my garden here in NH my pepper plants are waste high but never set on a single pepper. I have never seen bell peppers grow and not fruit. My potatoes didn’t do well either. But my tomatoes and beans where crazy productive. Carrots only did ok not great. Squash went nuts ton of them and really early. Guess that is why you plant lots of different things so something will be productive.

4 Likes

It could be a space related issue. From what i have heard, they usually have a lot of people living in a small space. Space is at a premium so not having an appliance would save previous space.

What i just realized is you don’t need the stupid drier vent hole. So cold air and rodents/bugs can’t get in through the hole when the door has fuzz propping it open 1/16th of a inch. That is worth the money right there.

2 Likes

We need to get a new dryer at the house. This might tempt mom, plus with the rebate/tax credit.

3 Likes

I didn’t know they have temp controlled ones.

I stay away from pressure cookers because of the rants i got from my grandma and a long discussion about seals and explosions.

A lot of people do canning outside. Then you do it in a big batch and clean up with the garden hose.

As far as your peppers. It could be incorrect temperatures or blossom end rot which is a sign of calcium deficiency. They are picky. Probably temperature related if the tomatoes did well.

4 Likes

The metal plates are designed to march the burner size so they don’t sit on the non heat treated glass. Why the entire top isn’t heat treated is beyond me though it is probably a cost saving. But if you put too big a pot on a glass top stove you can definitely crack the top outside of the burner i have seen it done by someone putting one of the cast iron plates that covers 2 burners on a glass top. I can’t remember if there is an air channel built into the metal plate or if it is just the diameter that is important.
I would guess temperature it was hot here early and no one had luck getting peppers to grow. Mine grew slow than took off but our weather got more normal after the hot start. The tomatoes are ahead of schedule really they seldom ripen on the vine for me in the past but this year they are ripening nicely. I am guessing that has to do with it being hotter early they grew like weeds.

Pressure cookers are safe enough if you know how to use them. Good gaskets are important and simply wiping them with veg oil before you start helps them seal. The real trick is to wait 10 minutes after they stop venting before opening them. But i tend to cycle them after dinner and pull the weights when they are done then open them the next morning after everything has stablized. Mostly because it is just easy for me to do it that way.
Oh interesting on the blossom rot i get that on summer squash sometimes and had no idea why

1 Like

The early ones had issues. It had something to do with the ceramic coating. Off the top of my head the cheap normal one was magnetic. So they used an expensive non-magnetic coating over the burner. I THINK they had different rates of thermal expansion which was okay until you added a ton of weight to it.

The end blossom rot affects squash, tomatoes, watermelons and peppers. All lack of calcium. and if you say put the peppers where the tomatoes were last year, the tomatoes may have used the available calcium. (There could be a whole conversation about the difference between in the soil and available to the plant which also encompasses soil microbiology and pH. )

1 Like

Good thread to raise awareness of the credits that are available - the only thing I can add is to anyone considering this, be very careful with what you claim and make absolutely sure that it qualifies - with the 87,000 new IRS agents also funded in this bill, it sure does appear that they will make damn sure you pay up if they feel that you have claimed something falsely or in error.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the new agents have a mandate to focus on income fillings over $400,000 so probably not many here would have to worry about them.

1 Like