Argos 2023 Planning

Here i may have my concern as to what is the practical guide. We are planning to buy a used engine from a ford pick up and or if we lucky we will find a V8 Dodge . Its not hard to find Gasoline engine around that were in Vehicles that crash for example. I look forward to any light and guidance and to have that in person experience in Argos soon. As to building the Gasifier, shypyard is the best place to build anything . Its a special community, as are in my view all Mennonite communities are.

5 Likes

Raul,
Welcome to Drive on Wood!
Here is a map link to Argos, Indiana:

Argos, Indiana,maps at DuckDuckGo

The event is held at the Marshall County, Indiana Fairgrounds. It is a gathering much like a family reunion. Everyone in our DOW family is welcome. We would be honored if you would be able to attend. We will most likely be reserving a building at the fairgrounds on the second weekend of June, 2023. The busy activity time to be there is Thursday, afternoon until Sunday morning, then everyone says goodbye and makes their way home. Some back to work on Monday morning! More information will be coming, it is Spring soon! :smiley:

8 Likes

Hello! Found your group from YouTube videos. I’m not too far, Lafayette, IN. Looking forward to coming. Is there a fee to get in? Is there an order of events? I’m not sure I can come more than one day. If you could only go one day which would it be? Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Is there any nice camping places nearby?
Thanks
Daniel

5 Likes

Daniel,
Welcome to the Driveonwood! :smiley:
Only one day? that would be Friday or Saturday. You will find it difficult to leave early!
There is camping available at the fairgrounds, They keep changing the electricity hook-up fee (Like for an RV) on us, It was at $25 per day, but they may have raised it. There is no “entry” fee, but we ask for a donation to help with the expense of renting the grounds and feeding us all. You can tent or RV camp right there. That is part of the experience. Lafayette is not too far, I live South of Fort Wayne. There are folks coming from all over.

6 Likes

I would love to come for multiple days, but I have a mini farm and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get someone to watch my animals. Just to clarify, second weekend in June is the 8th-10th. I am putting in the request to be of work.

3 Likes

Those were the dates I understood.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

4 Likes

Daniel,
While it is not yet carved in stone, we are planning on the event setting up Thursday afternoon June 8th. Clean up and leave Sunday morning June 11th, 2023.
I haven’t contacted Kevin the fairgrounds manager yet, that will be this week, probably. We use the “Exhibits” building at the fairgrounds, and the area around the building for vehicles, demonstrations, camping, etc.

2 Likes

Everyone,
Lemler’s will have little or no wood chunks to bring for return fuel. Ron has retired and they are no longer building and selling pallets.

We knew this time would come eventually.

All who can bring wood chunks to give to long-distance travelers should plan to bring some to the meetup. I meant to mention this earlier, I have been distracted. Normal for me but worse than usual! :cowboy_hat_face:

Maybe this should be the focus and theme of this year’s meetup.
Fuel Supply.

4 Likes

Who all is planning on bringing a wood-burning truck to Argos this year?

3 Likes

I plan on driving mine if I have it done by then. 1997 Dakota.

Garry C

3 Likes

hello Paul .

I will be driving a dakota .

3 Likes

Does anybody have a chunker they could bring?

3 Likes

I might be I’m still not sure though. If I do I can haul my own wood for both ways.

Andy I might could bring mine,. but I’m still not sure if I will be in the truck or not and it runs on a PTO and I definitely can’t haul a tractor.

4 Likes

I failed to mention that I will be bringing my own wood .

4 Likes

We will be planning on coming why can’t we plan on going to Lowes and Home Depot for broken pallets and scrap wood. also check out marketplace and craigslist for free wood? We will need a couple chain saws and we can do this the Lemler’s have been there for 10 years with wood for everyone we should be able to gather whatever we need. Looking forward to seeing old friends and new ones. I need to get some small projects finished
Dan and Carolyn Moore

8 Likes

Hello, everybody!
I have contacted Kevin at the Marshall County Fairgrounds in Argos, Indiana. We are penciled-in for the second weekend in June, Thursday the 8th through Sunday the 11th. Bad news is they raised the rental fee again, from $600 plus deposit to $800 plus deposit for the weekend. I think we will still want to proceed. Any comments? Thoughts?

1 Like

Hi Paul Ill be driving the ford hopfull will have time to resize the gasifier it stiill runs just hot !!!.

4 Likes

No, Really! Need some feedback! Awful quiet out there! :grimacing:
Maybe I should rant politically, or monger some fear about the economy… :face_with_head_bandage:
Thanks, Cody, at least I know somebody read this! :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Only that I wish I could show up this year! The job change has messed up any vacation plans I had.

1 Like

Yes, too much driving for a 1 day trip. If you could get here sometime for the Friday and Saturday, you would really enjoy that. Pretty short vacation, but the experience is priceless! I am saying this to all the ““want to comes but havent been yet”.
:melting_face: Also to the " I came once, had a great time, never came back’s”.

3 Likes