Argos Meetup 2019

I usually leave this up to Chris . I do better with things that require a strong back and weak mind :grinning:

4 Likes

well when I need to move 16 tons i’ll give you a call.

4 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of DOW merch I can pass along if someone would like to take it to Argos. All proceeds will go to the event.

Wish I could be there.

6 Likes

Chris, if you can bring a wife and a baby, that’s all we’ll need.

8 Likes

Good morning JO .

The travel bug must be biting .

A week from today you boys will be on a big bird crossing the pond :grinning:

6 Likes

You’re right, Mr Wayne. Bugs are really biting now.
I put some new hay in today, just in case I change my mind and take the truck instead of flying :smile:
Actually, when I was doing this, Kristijan called. There are a lot of preparations going on. We’re both at work all weekend, but we may get back to you about some details next week.

4 Likes

It looks like I will be able to borrow an RV for the meetup. I know from the sign-up form that it’s $15 a day for the electric hookup, but is that something we have to reserve ahead of time or can we just show up and get a spot with a hookup?

2 Likes

Hi Brian, you don’t need to reserve the site, it is in a large grassy area around the building there are a couple poles with multiple outlets on each 120 V , 30amp and 50 amp RV outlets it has been first come first serve. Hope to see you there. There is also a waste water dump by the horse barn
Ron L

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Ron.

2 Likes

JO & Kristijan

You may not need too heavy of a coat. The long range weather forecast for here next Monday is 96 F :grinning:

1 Like

Wayne, don’t take those temps along with you when you come north next week. We are not ready for that here yet!

3 Likes

Plan to attend-sorry for being late-a lot of life happenings and short on cash but that is probably most of us. Is it still ok to bring chair and stay at site. My area is getting hit hard with oak wilt and was thinking of bringing sample for show but don’t want to carry this problem to any other location. If I seal it with clear coat do you think it would be safe to show.

1 Like

Daniel,
I am not an arborist. If it is a bug, put it in the deep freezer for a week. If it is a virus / fungus, I am not sure if an alcohol bath would render the sample harmless. Perhaps someone else has a better idea! :open_mouth:
Please come to Argos, Bring a chair, stay on site, bring a camp-cot or an air mattress and sleep in the big building, several will be doing that. Many of us are short on cash, or otherwise challenged, and we are coming anyway! :grinning:

4 Likes

Hm, in the low 70s and sunny here. I’m soaked in sweat only pushing the lawnmower. I can imagine haying in 96F will get slightly warmer :smile:

TomC reported massive rains and 50F in the Chicago area. I’ve failed to find a good site for a long range forcast for Indiana. Will there be a need to bring any heavy coats at all? We would like to be able to travel as light as possible.
Anyone is welcome with valuable forcast inputs during the week. We leave early Friday morning.

3 Likes

I will try to keep up to date with WX reports. I would bring a medium to light jacket, long-sleeved shirts, T-shirts, casual shoes, Long pants, short pants, hat, sunglasses. In other words, this part of Indiana, like most of the midwest USA, is subject to weird weather in the spring. It can bet hot, cold, raining, sunshine, windy, calm, etc.,etc. Layers of clothing you can add and subtract. Campers on the lawn bring a ground tarp or two, it has been exceptionally wet this spring and likely to remain so. We are praying for drier weather, or few fields will be planted. My wife and I had a driving trip yesterday to visit a friend on a solemn occasion. We had to go about 250 miles South-West until we saw ANY fields that had been planted. Not a good year to be a farmer. Although, we drove back through a rainstorm, afterwords a rainbow that tracked with us for an hour! :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks Mike! What we call April weather. Summer one day, winter the other.

2 Likes

Mike said it very well. I would add that the jacket should be nylon or something that will shed a little water. When it rains, everyone heads for one of the buildings out of the weather. Socializing in there. Most of us haven’t been subject to any sun yet this year so a possible sunny day can lead to sun burns for fair complected folks. TomC

3 Likes

as we say “if you don’t like the weather just wait five minutes” it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a coat or something, after all its better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum, was sent here by @k_vanlooken. Are there details for the Argos meetup posted anywhere? I’ve read through this thread and found no firm date or location.

Grant
Asheville, NC

1 Like

Grant,
Yes, the info got kind of buried, Chris usually keeps me honest on that stuff!
Wednesday, May 29th afternoon until Sunday morning, June 2nd, 2019.
Marshall County 4H fairgrounds, Argos, Indiana. Camping, electricity, showers available on site. Food furnished probably Thursday lunch through Saturday evening meal. There are McDonald’s and local restaurants nearby. RV electric hook-ups $15 per day, Donations of food to share, and for event expenses suggested.
Sign-up sheet thread:

2 Likes