Charcoal from twigs...simple, quick and effective without smoke

with the ash i must observe further…
helpful for bathtub coaling is some metal sheet besides how on the foto, high loads are possible, and nearly nothing falls beside…

13 Likes

In Italy, there is a fire and the transformation of wood into an indestructible fuel - charcoal, which can last for thousands of years. This is a beautiful way for a person to adapt to nature and simply live according to God’s plan.

14 Likes

indeed charcoal lasts very long…in 2006 my son found a water source, where we digged than a earth bassin in clay … deep 1,20 meters we found a piece of a brick and pieces of charcoal…
so , this was once on surface of the ground, maybee some houndred years old…
with plowing and rain there was accumulated earth to the actual level.
the charcoal was intact, maybee it was from burning bushes in old times…first settlements…
charcoal fines are also very useful in the garden, we see the difference when tillering…the ground is much less hard and compact…

10 Likes

Amen Tone, charcoal is God’s perfect fuel of his creation.

10 Likes

I guess I was wrong again Bob. I thought it was methane since everyone of his creations makes it.

9 Likes

You do have a point there Tom. It is a little harder to store for long periods of time because of being a gas, but then finally releasing its energy it can make a big booming sound or not.

9 Likes

“try pouring a bit of water over hot coals just before you seal it. Its what l do, the water will boil and the steam provides a positive pressure that keeps air out of any pinholes”

Wanted to confirm this trick. You can also use a little green wood to supply the steam. This works well enough that you can quench even if you have some pin holes in your vessel or your lid isn’t fully sealed.
Makes the vessel and seal way less critical and the amount of water it adds doesn’t seem to be enough to compromise a ‘dry char’ system.
Highly recommended.

14 Likes

Shoutout to Giorgio. One hour of “work”, one pile of brush less, 30 gal of engine grade crarcoal.

20 Likes

Beautiful looking engine grade charcoal, a little drying and it is ready to be stored or used. GCWTOH (Got Charcoal Will Travel Or Homestead).

9 Likes

kristijan, i see the bucket with water…how much you give on the coal?
how do you make the process further?
seal with ash?
how much time needed for complete cool down?
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

The full 20l bucket. I pour on top then mix with the pitchfork. I do not need the charcoal now so l weted it real good, it will dry to the right amount till summer.

But l have made “emergancy charcoal” before, when l run out of fuel while mowing grass at a friends place. That was in a tilt barrel thugh, same process. Water, mix with pitchfork and seal. In half a hour its redy to be sifted and used.

Worth mentioning thugh that this way only works with downdraft gasifier wich benefit from the moisture. If you use updraft you only want a tiny bit of water just to suffocate it with steam.

11 Likes

I was thinking the other day, why using water on charcoal is so beneficial.

Charcoal has a lot of pores and surface area thats eager to “grab” something. Usualy thats oxigen and the proces releases reat. Meaning that fresh, raw charcoal can autoignite at a relatively low temperature just from the reaction with air. We all seen this probably, l know l have…
But if we quench the batch with water, the steam will bond to the charcoal filling some “empty parking lots” so the charcoal seems much less prone to ignition.

15 Likes

How much Nitrogen is in H2O. Zero, so wet Charcoal will not have much Nitrogen in it until it drys out again. The water displaces the Oxygen and Nitrogen vs. just dry Charcoal. I know this is not huge amounts, but every little bit helps.

9 Likes