Charcoal kiln, Kursk 2.0

Second “comercial” run was sucsessfull.

Havent weighted the sacks yet but l wuld WAG there is about a good 20 pounds in each. Closer to 30. Those 5 paper bags of premium BBQ charcoal alone are worth about 100$. And about as much charcoal is in the white bag, finer stuff, great for gasifier fuel or for the garden. There is so much of it because l had to quench a hot spot and while perfectly good for home use, l dont dare to sell it.

13 Likes

Kristijan,
What bags are you using for your charcoal. I use plastic garbage bags usually pushed into a sack for strength and durability. I would like a single sturdier bag.

1 Like

Steve, the paper bags are ment for sale. The big plastic bags l got years ago from a guy, no idea what they are for. But l am not a fan of neither. Paper is useless in moist conditions and they both tear. My preffered soft packageing is either thick plastic wowen big bag, or a smaller 60 pound same material grain bag. Durable! But will let dust trugh some. Still, better to get some dust trugh a loose part of a wowen mesh thain a big tear in a garbage bag…

My preffered is hard packaging. Plastic buckets. And, for the engine grade char, l plan to make a silo out of OSB boards that will hold acouple of cubic yards.

3 Likes

Dave

1 Like

A sub called Kursk, its also a city, and the largest tank battle in history was fought there. But I was not sure that’s where Kris was going with this.
I could call something a Tatra and you might think its about brand of beer, or a car from the czech republic, and I might mean a mountain range in Poland.

Its a BIG tank of some kind at any rate… Is танк what you mean Kris HA HA???

2 Likes

I was thinking that it was because of the remote resemblance to a submarine.

Kristijan, about the charcoal bags. I have used the plastic garbage bags inside the corn grain sacks with the thought of keeping moisture from being absorbed by the charcoal and also to contain the dust. I think the dust would filter through the corn sacks without the plastic liner. A plastic bag, heavy enough to be reusable would be nice.

2 Likes

Yesterday we talked a little with Kristjan about the co-production of wood tar and wood vinegar in cooking charcoal, and here I am attaching a sketch. Let me also mention that Kristjan provided me with a premium membership, … thank you.

10 Likes

Seems simple. Am i correct in thinking that the vinegar is still in gaseous state when it bypassed the tar dump? How would you assure that it only dropped out after that?

4 Likes

I would maybe use a water jacket with natural thermo-siphoning. Would cool it a lot faster and more thoroughly especially considering the size of Kristijan’s kiln.

3 Likes

Kristijan,
I have been thinking about doing something like this too. It might be a next step toward building a bio-products refinery. This might be a way for a farmer to work during the cold winter months. The cold will make the condenser work better. Will you be able to sell the tar and vinegar?
Rindert

3 Likes

Well; welcome to the Premium-side TONE.
400+ topics. 120+ systems proposed, started on; and built; running.
Just realize this accumulation of since 2012 can be quite a river to jump into.
Have fun info-swimming.
Steve unruh

6 Likes

I am afraid a water jacket wuld be too cool. If tar gets too cold its basicly chewing gum.

4 Likes

Wood vinegar, can I use it for anything?

2 Likes

wood vinegar as a spray and disinfectant, in fact, when smoking meat, vinegar is absorbed into the meat and in addition to salt acts as a preservative, even at this time Covid could easily be used to disinfect rooms and hands

4 Likes

Thank you Tone, I had no knowledge of that, I had it to remove grass between the plates with last summer.

2 Likes

Dogwood charcoal. What a batch! Incredible.

14 Likes

WoW!!!

Do you have an OHM meter - Ω ?
That sounds like it may have transformed at least partly to graphite.

2 Likes

Good morning Kristijan and Tone;
On your distillation apparatus once you determine the best angles; lengths and cooling rates you might what to consider making a second one, in-parallel.

You kiln once up to heating and producing is not going to want to stop until the mass is completed outgassing.
Be a shame when the distiller clogs to have to then just dump out your hot out-gasses to the atmosphere.
Cut in the 2nd apparatus.

And as any who have worked around heated vaporized and/or fine ground liquified slurries . . . it will always slowly inner walls deposit; flows slow, and clog.

The new-mans break-in/low-mans job . . . . cleaning the equipment’s between cycles.
Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Kristijan,
That sounds and looks like that super-high quality “white charcoal” so prized by the Japanese for their formal Tea Ceremony. Those are individually wrapped and sold at upscale stores!! Wow!! :smile:

2 Likes

Wood vinegar and potatoes seemed to work for me. Sprayed it on the leaves.

4 Likes